3D

SteelFire

Food for Though:  Rithmatists draw two-dimensional figures.  Imagine what could happen if they could somehow raise the plane and draw figures within the third dimension.   Leave me what you think down below.   Thanks and Good Worldhopping

• 3 weeks later...

I suppose it could be possible. The chalk we write with, and the chalk used in The Rithmatist, is compacted into a bar, rod, stick, what have you, to make it easier to write/work with. So, I suppose you could carve a block of chalk into the form you wanted and give it some good commands...

• 1 month later...

Oh my dusts! You know what 3D printers are? They basically allow you to draw lines of plastic-like material in 3D shapes. I wonder if they could make an equivalent, but for chalk? That would be... dangerous. Imagine three-dimensional chalklings??? Worst. Nightmare.

17 hours ago, Selleshar said:

Oh my dusts! You know what 3D printers are? They basically allow you to draw lines of plastic-like material in 3D shapes. I wonder if they could make an equivalent, but for chalk? That would be... dangerous. Imagine three-dimensional chalklings??? Worst. Nightmare.

How exactly would 3D chalklings be worse than 2D chalklings with the glyph of rending? The 2D ones can interact with the 3D world, but are also able to slip through impossibly thin cracks. Just about the only advantage I can think of for the 3D chalkling would be an ability to step over a stream of acid that the 2D ones couldn't get past.

On 6/28/2018 at 0:36 PM, Juanaton said:

How exactly would 3D chalklings be worse than 2D chalklings with the glyph of rending? The 2D ones can interact with the 3D world, but are also able to slip through impossibly thin cracks. Just about the only advantage I can think of for the 3D chalkling would be an ability to step over a stream of acid that the 2D ones couldn't get past.

I suppose that another advantage would be that a Line of Warding wouldn't be effective. They could just reach over. You'd have to use a Line of Forbiddance, which might corner you into a box. Though considering how easily wild chalklings can tear through Lines of Warding, it might not be a huge advantage compared to what they already have. Perhaps 3D "non-wild" chalklings would enable each individual chalkling to fight humans directly. What are your thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...

I think the difference would be that it wouldn't even need a glyph of rending, because it was all ready fully 3-D, so it could just smash into things. Also, it could maybe hold a weapon or use armor, a distinct advantage over chalklings (imagine: worlds collide; 3-D chalkling with a shardblade)

• 2 months later...
On 7/17/2018 at 8:37 PM, Ark1002 said:

I think the difference would be that it wouldn't even need a glyph of rending, because it was all ready fully 3-D, so it could just smash into things. Also, it could maybe hold a weapon or use armor, a distinct advantage over chalklings (imagine: worlds collide; 3-D chalkling with a shardblade)

Sparks! I hadn't thought of that!  That would be insane.  Too bad the Rithmatist isn't part of the Cosmere.

• 3 months later...
On 7/3/2018 at 11:17 AM, Selleshar said:

I suppose that another advantage would be that a Line of Warding wouldn't be effective. They could just reach over. You'd have to use a Line of Forbiddance, which might corner you into a box. Though considering how easily wild chalklings can tear through Lines of Warding, it might not be a huge advantage compared to what they already have. Perhaps 3D "non-wild" chalklings would enable each individual chalkling to fight humans directly. What are your thoughts?

Again, I think the advantages of being a 2D being able to interact with the 3D world via the glyph or rending (or however it is that wild chalklings do it...since they clearly do) far outweigh the advantages of actually being 3D, especially since humans are already very practiced at fighting in 3D and have a hard time wrapping our minds around the additional vulnerabilities that 2D opponents can exploit that their 3D brethren would be unable to use.