[OB] Renarin's influence on the Diagram

Jofwu

I don't think it is Renarins foresight that blocked Mr Ts plans regarding Dalinar. I feel that there just isn't proof enough to draw that conclusion. I also have a hard time connecting foresight to Mr Ts failing plans, unless Renarin actively acted on his foresight to block Taravangian, which he hasn't apart from the writings on the wall. And I doubt those writings has anything to do with Taravangian. 

I really like the atium idea though.

Edited by Toaster Retribution

Just now, Toaster Retribution said:

I don't think it is Renarins foresight that blocked Mr Ts plans regarding Dalinar. I feel that there just isn't proof enough to draw that conclusion. I also have a hard time connecting foresight to Mr Ts failing plans, unless Renarin actively acted on his foresight to block Taravangian, which he hasn't apart from the writings on the wall. And I doubt those writings has anything to do with Taravangian. 

I certainly wouldn't say there's proof. This is just a theory.

The point is that Taravangian was effectively predicting the future. The future in the cosmere is never CERTAIN, I think, but there's generally a high probability that events will unfold a certain way. Atium doesn't show you what will absolutely, definitely happen, but what is most likely to happen. I'm proposing that, by seeing the future, Renarin made certain decisions and took certain actions that he otherwise would not have made. This threw the course of events off in ways that Taravangian did not predict in the Diagram.

There is some debate as to whether the Diagram made use of future sight or not. I'm not picking either side of that argument here. I don't think it matters. Renarin bonded with Glys well after the Diagram was created, so he wouldn't have been a factor at the time it was created. Either way, he tried to predict the future, and while he was accurate in many many ways, he was wrong about Dalinar. I think this is because Renarin's future sight opened up possibilities that were previously unlikely.

1 minute ago, Jofwu said:

I certainly wouldn't say there's proof. This is just a theory.

The point is that Taravangian was effectively predicting the future. The future in the cosmere is never CERTAIN, I think, but there's generally a high probability that events will unfold a certain way. Atium doesn't show you what will absolutely, definitely happen, but what is most likely to happen. I'm proposing that, by seeing the future, Renarin made certain decisions and took certain actions that he otherwise would not have made. This threw the course of events off in ways that Taravangian did not predict in the Diagram.

There is some debate as to whether the Diagram made use of future sight or not. I'm not picking either side of that argument here. I don't think it matters. Renarin bonded with Glys well after the Diagram was created, so he wouldn't have been a factor at the time it was created. Either way, he tried to predict the future, and while he was accurate in many many ways, he was wrong about Dalinar. I think this is because Renarin's future sight opened up possibilities that were previously unlikely.

Ah, I see now. I agree that Renarins actions couldn't be predicted by Mr T and that that might have lead to his failed plans.  Good post, I feel like we are on the same page now. 

Taravangian's efforts regarding Dalinar have only aided him in Unifying people, so I don't think that's a coincidence.

Renarin I think has two possibilities. One is that because he was supposed to die, so the fact that he lived is a huge deviation from what Odium saw/the Diagram predicted, corrupting everything from that point on.
Or because he can see the future, he functions a little like what you said about two people burning atium negate each other.

Also, Taravangian is still a plant by Cultivation.

9 minutes ago, RShara said:

So, what you're saying is Taravagnian will openly swear fealty and his people to Dalinar. Attempt to manuever himself to find a work around but die of old age in the climax. Thereby negating the deal between Odium, removing his influences, and unifying a very large portion of Roshar under a single rule.

8 minutes ago, Naurock said:

So, what you're saying is Taravagnian will openly swear fealty and his people to Dalinar. Attempt to manuever himself to find a work around but die of old age in the climax. Thereby negating the deal between Odium, removing his influences, and unifying a very large portion of Roshar under a single rule.

Mmmm no, not quite ;)

10 minutes ago, Naurock said:

Nah, the Diagram is an elaborate feignt. It's goal is not as presented. 

The words Taravangian was given to speak to Odium in that meeting show that the Diagram anticipated the circumstances, and I believe also knew that Odium would be aware of its words so it could not reveal its true aims.

It is steering everyone, Taravangian included, towards the boon he asked. To save the world. 

The theory I have been working under is that Taravangian, Renarin and Venli are all the work of Cultivation, and she is working so that her biggest surprises are all in Odium's blindspots. We know shards have things that they are blind to, so this shouldn't be something we can dismiss lightly. 

Just because you can see into infinity, doesn't mean you can see everything. It is hubris to think otherwise. 

3 hours ago, RShara said:

This is so good on so many levels.

This would make a great 17th shard t-shirt, total economy of language to create a cryptic statement that is a summation of a complex yet highly probable speculative theory.

My only possible revision to this gem, to make it even more misleadingly cryptic, is this: "Mr. T is still a plant by Cultivation"

Ok, totally unofficial, but certifiably awesome nonetheless (spoilered to not hijack the thread):

Spoiler

ShardShirts_T_Is_a_Plant_Front.png.0ef446b1ba86a7d72187976f2c2c6b3b.png

ShardShirts_T_Is_a_Plant_Back.png.94858cb1ad6d0c07ad44e54f1b422326.png

As per your request @ZenBossanova, here is the alternate T-shirt (I like it better this way too, but Rshara came up with the original gem)

Spoiler

ShardShirts_T_Is_a_Plant_Front_Alternate.png.d4aebe18ed1c1d32763171997eb27545.png

ShardShirts_T_Is_a_Plant_Back.png.94858cb1ad6d0c07ad44e54f1b422326.png

Edited by hoiditthroughthegrapevine
Added alternate "Mr T" version of the shirt

I wrote a post on this very topic, I think it is such an interesting question!  My big theories as to Renarin's role are:

-He seemed almost incapable of hate, and is so different from Odium that Odium finds him impossible to predict.

-He see's the future as Odium does due to Glys corruption, acts in response (i.e. Writing the count-down that prompted Dalinar to get to Urithiru, nodding when Jasnah is ready to kill him) and those responses change the future that Odium sees.  The fact he is supposed to be dead and isn't is obviously a big part of that. 

I am not convinced that Cultivations planning is as meticulous as has been suggested.  She just doesn't seem particularly calculating in the one scene where we met her.  When she gives Dalinar his boon and curse, her response is almost a "this might work or it might not."  I think the secret to any plan she has is not the diagram itself but Mr T's compassion.  He thinks his intelligence is what will save the world, but it is his compassionate, supposedly dumb days that I think will be the key.