Zayde

17th Shard on Steam

52 posts in this topic

I love Civ V complete :)  I've played the demo for Beyond Earth but didn't enjoy it.

Beyond Earth is Fantastic. I got it for christmas and played it for 8 hours straight. I loved nearly everything about it, (Other than the Aliens being super OP for the first quarter of the game).

Admittedly, It's not different enough from Civ V complete to justify the price, but I still recommend buying it if you have excess game cash.

I joined, does anyone else play war thunder?

YYEEESSSS!!!!

I'll join, when I remember.

I tend to play single player games on Steam, although I do have my Star Trek Online account tied up through Steam. I've got both Civ V and Civ BE, and love both games, although I'm not really a master (I tend to just stick to the easier difficulties).

Most recently, I've been getting into more unusual games, like Zafehouse Diaries, FTL, and This War Of Mine. I recommend all three of these games. They are not like other games where you run around and hit things. TWOM and ZD in particular, if you just go around hitting things, the game will quickly become very painful.

Anyone else play Baldur's Gate(2) EE? I was thinking of trying out the multiplayer components

I have the first Baldur's Gate EE. I could be tempted to try the multiplayer aspects.

A few recent games I've picked up on Steam:

Starship Traveler. Remeber the Fighting Fantasy books when you were younger? This is one of those, converted directly into a PC game format. The various choices you are offered even has the page numbers displayed.

Wasteland 2. Fallout meets Baldur's Gate. BG style gameplay in a post apocalyptic world. Also came with Wasteland 1 for free, but I've not tried that yet.

Sunless Sea. I highly recommend this game if you are looking for something a bit different. You control a ship in a top down representation of the Unterzee. Your objective is up to you. You can either sail for wealth, stories, or to find your father's missing bones. Each time you die, your next character gets a little something as a legacy. At first, it is simply a few bonus points in one of your stats, but as you become a better zailor, more options unlock. I'm currently zailing as Bort III, and have a pair of heirlooms, and a townhouse with some very expensive furniture which will all be passed onto Bort IV when I next die.

Hmm...

Don't have Steam, or Civ V, or anything, but I've played Civ 2 (I think it was 2) and Alpha Centaury.

Alpha Centaury seems to be the forerunner of Beyond Earth, from what I've seen.

Has anyone here played both, for comparison?

I joined, does anyone else play war thunder?

Yeah I do

the questions is though, which is better: tanks or planes?.

With tanks being updated, they are much better to play than they were, although I played more using planes before that.

Hmm...

Don't have Steam, or Civ V, or anything, but I've played Civ 2 (I think it was 2) and Alpha Centaury.

Alpha Centaury seems to be the forerunner of Beyond Earth, from what I've seen.

Has anyone here played both, for comparison?

Civ BE is a basically reskinned version of Civ V, with some small changes. Sid Meier's Starships is more like Alpha Centauri, although it is simplified. I bought it over the weekend, and it is lots of fun, but like I say, nowhere near as complex as the original, or indeed any of the Civ games.

Next, my plan is to start a Civ V game, go for a Science victory to get the colony ships launched. Then Civ BE, going for a contact victory (which is the official storyline for Starships), then import that savegame into Starships to see what it lets me start with.

Yay other Civ V players that are on 17thshard! I joined. We should totally do the Roshar map. Link:Roshar Map

Edited by phattemer

I've always wanted dto do the Roshar map, but never got the mod to work. I never tried tha thard either though.....

Considering how many players we have we really should play together, and make more maps, Final Empire Scadrial and Rithmatist come to mind.

Final Empire would be awesome as a civ. :)

Well, I reached 1000AD last night, in my Civ 5 Science game. I'm currently running some 600-800 years ahead of reality, having just entered the industrial era that was really in the 19th century. I'm hoping to be off colonizing other worlds before another thousand years pass.

Nice.

Got distracted last night. I didn't get back into my Civ V game, although my habit of playing far too late and being mostly dead for work the next day suggests I leave it until the weekend.

Instead, I was playing a new game called Windward (until too late, and today I am mostly dead). It's a bit like Sid Meier's Pirates! but updated, and with the ability to play coop, plus a skill point leveling system.

Your starting faction indicates how you best gain xp - the Valiant earn more from combat, where the Sojourn get xp from salvaging wrecks, for example.

Your skill points are divided between standard talents (increased hull, armour, damage, crit, and so on), and one of three specialities that are designed for multiplayer play - offense, defense, and support.

There is also the ability to create private instances which you can visit either by yourself or with a team, for increased combat, missions, etc. I'll admit I'm not entirely sure what goes on inside an instance, as I didn't try that out last night.

Hoping I'll be able to find a few others that play Windward, or at least that will take a look at it and see if they could be interested, so we can get together on a server somewhere.

So, last night, I made the mistake of going back to my Civ V game. Today, I am mostly brain dead again.

I made it as far as 1998, I have no idea how many turns, but I am now producing somewhere in the region of 1500 science per turn. When I saved and quit and finally got to bed last night, I was only a couple of turns away from starting the International Space Station project in the World Congress.

Once that is done, I'll be in a position to start building my spaceship parts, and move on to my destiny Beyond Earth.

So, I finished my Civ V game in 2022. I probably could have finished a few turns earlier, but I was arsing around to get other stuff done before the game ended. not for any particular reason, other than because I could.

So, in 2022, my people left behind the most advanced civilization on the planet to reach out to the stars, turning its back on friends and allies across the world, the World Council (which we were hosting and had enough votes to control), and something like 30 World Wonders built in our cities.

It was an odd game, with just the Science victory enabled, which meant that when I put forward a proposal for the World Council, everyone liked it. Over the course of the entire game, from 4000BC to 2022AD, so just over 6000 years, our entire planet had one war, and that was just a minor skirmish between neighbours. Telling people I wasn't interested in war seemed to stop several before they started. Not sure why though. Until the mid-late game, I had the smallest army by far.

Now, given that I was playing Nebuchadnezzar of Babylon, and the middle east isn't really represented in Civ BE, which side should I go for? There is the African Union, the faction for Southern Asia, and the European faction. All have borders with the middle east, so I guess I should use one of those. Any suggestions?

'Awaken to my Breath, serve my needs, live at my Command and my word.'

Its alive! Its alive! Its alive!

Humorous thread necromancy aside, I've joined.

Joined, I mostly play warframe and garry's mod.

P.S.

Anybody playing Stellaris?

Gonna necro this, don't hate me. I joined up! Play some gmod or CS:GO with me! I'm also about to pick up EU4