So I'm re-reading Warbreaker and couldn't help but pause when I got to the start of Chapter 54 where Vivenna is trying to get information out of a beggar named Tuft. Particularly, because of this description;

'"I don't owe nobody nothing," he said, squinting at the passersby with his one eye. The other eye was simply an empty hole. He didn't wear a patch.' - Warbreaker, pg 592

The thing that jumped out was the lack of eye patch. Coincidence? Probably. But it was enough to give me pause and buy a ticket for the Crazy Theory Train. So here goes. 

- I've always assumed that Gaz has a) not worn an eye patch for a long time/ever within the camps, and b ) has developed this descriptive marker and can be identified by it

Spoiler for Words of Radiance below: 

Spoiler

The fact that he starts wearing an eyepatch only after deserting makes me think it was more of a disguise than anything, otherwise why adopt it now?

It's probably not too uncommon to see someone in the war camps with only one eye (or at least I would assume, as they are at war). But presumably (going off IRL convention) most of these soldiers wear eye patches, whereas Gaz distinctively doesn't. 

- Gaz' tic of looking to the side: most people I've read have taken this to be tied in with discomfort from his reduced perception, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a similar tic in someone who has lived on the street and who is constantly checking for nearby danger.   

- Gaz does eventually get an eye patch. But why? His issue (from the small amount we have from his POV) seems to come from the lack of perception in one half of his visual field and this doesn't change by adding an eye patch. However, the way other people see him might change. (Again, spoiler above)

- Gaz' money problems could potentially lead to the situation where he's forced into the streets

This is as solid as a block of Swiss cheese and even while writing this I was arguing with myself about things that didn't fit. But eh, I'm interested in this very unlikely, but *maybe* scenario. 

(Also if anyone happens to know of previous discussion re. this I would be forever grateful for links as I've been unsuccessful at finding anything).

Are you thinking they are the same person?  Warbreaker takes place some time before WoR...possibly as much as 300 years, so they're not likely to be the same person.

Spoiler

Azure either has enough Breaths to become functionally immortal or used the time dialation trick to stay alive that long.

I mean, if someone is a worldhopper, then we no longer need to question whether they can survive that long.

I'd be kind of surprised if Gaz was a worldhopper though, particularly because I doubt a worldhopper would be stupid enough to build up so much debt he'd have to flee.

3 minutes ago, Leyrann said:

I mean, if someone is a worldhopper, then we no longer need to question whether they can survive that long.

I'd be kind of surprised if Gaz was a worldhopper though, particularly because I doubt a worldhopper would be stupid enough to build up so much debt he'd have to flee.

Good point.  Also, we get a couple of Gaz PoVs, and there's no hint in them that he's not what he seems.

5 hours ago, Leyrann said:

Oh boy, imagine a worldhopper who got indebted in every system they went to and ended up with the whole Cosmere out for their blood. Do you think 17th Shard would do side work as debt collectors if asked? They could ask for Hoid hints as payment. 

Gaz has the tipical Rosharan look and this already point to him as a no foreign.

Much more as others said that beggard would have any kind of age between 50 to 350 years but Indeed worldhoppers had ways to extend their lives to a degree.

I also expect a worldhopper to be' informed to the magical envirorment they travel within and Gaz shows no informations about Surgebinders from his interactions with Kal.

I can't prove the beggard and Gaz are different people but I find really unlikely they are the same.

• Chaos locked this topic