Non-canon WoBs

kenod

If we come across old WoBs that probably aren't canon anymore, can we add a footnote that they should be taken with a grain of salt?
In this case, it's the following WoB (incorrect part bold):

Melhay

In Mistborn #3 Hero of Ages: It isn't mentioned where all the Steel Inquisitors, Kandra, and Koloss went in the end. Do you feel that they were removed from the world and Sazed took all the lost souls to his better place?

Brandon Sanderson

Marsh survived. (He'll show up in the Mistborn sequel series.) The Kandra were restored, and have taken a vow to live only in animal bodies. There will never be any more of them, but they are functionally immortal. So you'll see them again. The Koloss who were in the cavern at the time survived, and were changed to become a race that breeds true, rather than Hemalurgic monsters. More below.

source

In this case, SoS and BoM show that this is obviously wrong, since, except for TenSoon, all Kandra we've seen have been human (although sometimes using true bodies).

12 hours ago, kenod said:

In this case, SoS and BoM show that this is obviously wrong, since, except for TenSoon, all Kandra we've seen have been human (although sometimes using true bodies).

Additionally, we know that Koloss are not quite true-breeding, because of the need for spikes.

55 minutes ago, Quickbronze said:

There's also a WoB that says Scadrial doesn't have telecommunications. This is probably a good idea.

Do you have a link? I'm guessing that it's from before BoM, as it's said to be a resent development IIRC, and not yet widely used (I think only the Set knows about it).

I think we also have to take into account the timeline Brandon was thinking about when he gave these answers. You have to remember that when he originally envisioned Mistborn, he was planning to take it into a futuristic sci-fi setting after doing industrial revolution and present day settings. There would certainly have been telecommunications in the sci-fi era. He could easily have been assuming the question pertained to a period in Scadrial's time before they developed telecommunications and only had couriers as an option, like immediately after the end of the Hero of Ages. As for the Kandra, there might have been a period of time while they were reforming their society where they took a vow to not use human bodies, only to renege on it later for the sake of convenience, or at Sazed's request. I'm totally in agreement with the Koloss thing, he seems to have shifted gears on that one.

The problem I see with trying to catalog WoB into a non-cannon section is that we've had things he's said seem to be rendered non-cannon by a book, only to later be shown to be still true in a later book either by retconning or a misunderstanding by  readers or a character in the book working with limited knowledge. 

I think we'll actually need new WoBs directly saying old ones are invalid before we can be sure.

On 4/20/2018 at 0:31 PM, kenod said:

Do you have a link? I'm guessing that it's from before BoM, as it's said to be a resent development IIRC, and not yet widely used (I think only the Set knows about it).

On 4/20/2018 at 1:31 PM, Quickbronze said:

Only the Set has voice communications, but telegrams are common, as shown by the bank scene. I can't find the WoB, but in a 2011/2012 thing, Brandon said they didn't have telegrams and instead used Coinshot couriers. 

For what it's worth, here's the WoB.

Questioner (paraphrased)

People are going crazy wondering if there are telegraphs and telephones in Alloy of Law. Are there? And if not, why?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

There are not yet. And the reason why is because they haven’t needed them yet. Necessity is the, what the fuel of invention?

Audience Member (paraphrased)

The mother of invention

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

Yes, the mother of invention, and they have messengers who run, Coinshots who are very fast. They also basically don’t need to go outside the City, and haven’t for a long time. They’re close, but they haven’t invented them yet for the same reason that they have very poor navigation techniques. Why do you need to ship anything or sail anywhere when you have some idyllic paradise to live in? And you have allomancers, who in some ways are preventing from achieving that next level, because a Coinshot can get it there really fast, and so you’re only waiting a few minutes for them to come back with your message, so it can actually stifle a little bit of technology by having a not-quite-as-good magical solution.

There's also this from Peter that looks like it's a response to the same discussion that prompted that question to Brandon.

• 2 weeks later...

Brandon Sanderson

To forestall the other inevitable questions. Movies have been sold for: Mistborn, Emperor's Soul, and Steelheart. They are all in development, none have started filming. Be skeptical of any film deal until someone starts shooting a camera, okay? Right? Just be aware of that, when something starts filming, you can get excited. Until then, just know that people are paying me lots of money to not make movies from my books. *laughter* Which is very nice.

The video game's kind of just in limbo. The guys who are working on it--there's a Mistborn video game--they're great, but they had setback after setback. So I would, if I were you, not hold my breath on that one. Maybe it'll happen, maybe it won't. If it does it's a happy surprise.

source

This one is inaccurate now I believe. Since DMG got the whole Cosmere. I think.