If you were Mistborn, what would be some uses of Aluminum?

BitBitio

I know have this mental image of Leyrann as one of those tinfoil hat types who has coated the entire inside of their home with aluminum foil to prevent detection and having their things be used against them, while being a mistborn.  Possibly with an aluminum lined suit.

I guess I need more context for the question before I answer.  Are we theoretically a Mistborn on Scadrial in Era 1?  The only Mistborn on Scadrial in Era 2? A Mistborn on Earth?  Or finally, the only Mistborn on Earth.  Context could change my answer.

That said, no matter where I was a mistborn, nothing would scare me more than super magnets.

10 hours ago, BitBitio said:

Maybe like when TLR was Pushing Vin, you could like burn aluminum so that couldn't occur to you the same way

I think TLR would still be able to push on Vin even if she burnt aluminum. I thought he was able to push on all trace metals in her body, not just the allomantic metals she had recently ingested?

I'm not sure if there are too many examples where burning aluminum to remove your own allomantic metals would be useful. But in era 2 (spoilers):

Spoiler

If somebody had an ettmetal cube like the main cast there may be some additional uses to aluminum allomancy.

For some reason I think I remember seeing something (speculation?) about burning aluminum removing investiture within yourself. If that is the case it may interact with investiture from other worlds differently. You may be able to burn aluminum to remove a lashing somebody placed on you or something similar. In any case though, aluminum burns up all at once so it would be inconvenient to use (constantly having to ingest more whenever you burn it).

And now for a bit of completely baseless speculation on my part. If burning aluminum actually does remove investiture within yourself, could/would it remove power from a hemalurgic spike that pierces you? Also, does the amount of aluminum you have and burn have a cap to how much investiture it removes? I would think that there is a limit but we don't have many examples given to base anything on.

But also if you think about it the point of Aluminum is internal, extending your range when it's internal..... I don't know.... But I would imagine that aluminum is only any good to use against allomancers and also as money or crafting alloys

Burning Alluminium to avoid to be' affected by a spread effect is pointless (regardless of the actual working).

You will flush away the effect for an instant and then you are without reserves (aluminium included) and still exposed to the effect you was trying to avoid.

On 17-4-2018 at 5:01 PM, marles said:

In any case though, aluminum burns up all at once so it would be inconvenient to use (constantly having to ingest more whenever you burn it).

I'm pretty sure there's a WoB saying that aluminium doesn't burn itself away, but I don't know how to search for it efficiently so I can't quote anything.

On 4/17/2018 at 8:44 AM, Stark said:

I guess I need more context for the question before I answer.  Are we theoretically a Mistborn on Scadrial in Era 1?  The only Mistborn on Scadrial in Era 2? A Mistborn on Earth?  Or finally, the only Mistborn on Earth.  Context could change my answer.

Mistborn Crisis on Infinite Earths....

I guess it might make a handy prison cell?  I'm envisioning Magneto's all plastic cell from one of the X-men movies.

I can't see a point to burning it though...

I don't think the "Allomantic Grenade" cubes would be an effective use of A-aluminum; I not even sure you could charge the cube with the Allomancy of burning aluminum, since by definition, as soon as you burn it, you don't have it any more. And if you could charge the cube, all that would happen is that the cube would disable itself after the timer went off. Whee!

It's really the ultimate in useless powers, except to be able to Compound Identiy, whatever that would mean, if you managed to acquire the Feruchemical power for aluminum as well.

On the other hand, what if you used A-gold to charge a cube? Would the cube see a double of itself, a version that could have been charged with something useful like a bendalloy speed bubble, and hate it enviously, while perceiving the other cube's smug superiority to the gold-charged version of itself?

• Chaos locked this topic