[OB] Crazy Herdazian Military

So, I just recalled the OB interlude about the soldier who got fed to a giant crab-thing, by a Herdazian army. First, why is a Herdazian army on the border between Herdaz and Alethkar? Are they defending against Voidbringers, or are they up to something else, like taking over parts of Alethkar, or helping refugees? 

The second question is about the Herdazian general, who likes breaking himself out if manacles and chains. He was a pretty colorful character, and I'm wondering if he, and his army, will wind up being relevant farther down the line (maybe in SA4). We don't have that many Herdazian characters, so one more might be good.

What do you all think of this?

I think the Herdazian army was probably the Herdazian arm of Dalinar's whole "unite Roshar" thing. All the nations want to have a say in what's happening, and we haven't really heard of Herdaz working with Dalinar, so it could be that. It's still pretty odd though, and I could definitely be wrong.

With the general, he is almost certainly a Radiant. That or a spren, but that's unlikely.

31 minutes ago, Farnsworth said:

With the general, he is almost certainly a Radiant. That or a spren, but that's unlikely.

Any special reason for thinking he is a Radiant except the normal "he got characterization so he will probably be a KR"? 

I agree about him not being a spren. They usually look incredibly wierd, and he only had a mustache.

• Pagerunner changed the title to [OB] Crazy Herdazian Military
4 hours ago, Toaster Retribution said:

Any special reason for thinking he is a Radiant except the normal "he got characterization so he will probably be a KR"? 

I agree about him not being a spren. They usually look incredibly wierd, and he only had a mustache.

Because it's fun to speculate that he used the surge of abrasion to escape from the manacles.

5 hours ago, Toaster Retribution said:

So, I just recalled the OB interlude about the soldier who got fed to a giant crab-thing, by a Herdazian army. First, why is a Herdazian army on the border between Herdaz and Alethkar? Are they defending against Voidbringers, or are they up to something else, like taking over parts of Alethkar, or helping refugees?

Under the circumstances, they seem to be mainly protecting their own people and lands from Alethi who have been attacking them, nothing deeper than that. It sounds like they were also looking after non-hostile Alethi refugees. The narrator of that interlude had attacked a Herdazian village (claiming he was trying to gather resources to continue fighting against the Voidbringers who had driven him out of Alethkar) and was caught. It's implied he and his men were raping villagers as well, hence the comments when the general offers the first option for punishment. Incidentally, the narrator is the same soldier whose actions led to Tien's death, so the sequence is a bit of delayed karma. Assuming you recognize the name; I had to have someone here point it out before I realized it.

And yeah, the General seems like a fun character and I wouldn't mind seeing him again. The idea that he might he a proto-Radiant mainly comes down to the fact that he could be using Abrasion (or possibly Tension) to aid in his escapes, but it's certainly not necessary. After all, I'm pretty sure that Harry Houdini wasn't a Surgebinder and look at the stunts he pulled. xD

Edited by Weltall

A proto-Stoneward would be my guess for Herdazian General.  Sometimes a Radiant's order is hidden in the icons of their chapter headings.  This chapter has icons for Nale (likely just for the general dispensing of justice) and also Taln.  The Taln icon could be a clue that he's a proto-Stoneward.  Tension/Cohesion could explain how his manacles are never tight enough.

• Chaos locked this topic