TUBA - The Underground Bakers' Association

Neil started speaking. "I... I felt a pull. To the city. I don't know why, but..."

his seon cut in. "If we want to find out why Neil came here, of all places, we need more information. And it's become clear to me that joining a guild is the best way to do it." He flashed in a way that suggested a shrug. "The man showed up right when I made the decision and told me to come here. Apparently the other big guilds are not the most moral of organizations."

@AonEne

"Not as much as we are, no," Deteca mused. "They tend toward things we prefer to preclude if we can. Well, I'm not one to turn away a volunteer; welcome! Do you have some -"

Dooo you-u have someone to lo-ove, Mister Kandra? Someone who doesn't mind your changes, who doesn't -

She blinked once, hard, banishing the child's song and the giggling voice singing it. "Ahem, sorry, somewhere to stay? If not, TUBA can provide a space for you. I'm Deteca, TUBA's leader...your seon said you were Neil?"

She's still addressing and facing him, regardless.

Pesky memories...

Edited by AonEne
I didn't slip into first person, idk what you're talking about

Neil nodded. "No. Yes. Wait."

He disliked it when people asked him lots of questions in a row. Of course, he'd not really had a lot of conversations, had he? He supposed he might have, just forgotten them.

He tried again. "My name is Neil, but I don't have anywhere to stay, really... I've been sleeping in the streets. More like alleys, really, but I guess that's to be expected." He gave a nervous chuckle. "I'd like a place to stay, if you're offering one."

Neil followed, relieved that the conversation was over. He always got stressed when talking to strangers. 

Daa- his seon- floated beside him. He was probably the only reason Neil hadn't gotten killed yet in this sprawling mess of a city. And not just because of the forcefield and energy blasts, either; while he was shy and nervous around people he didn't know, the seon had no problem interacting with others. Which was pretty incredible, given that he'd been locked in one of the golems' seontechs for the majority of his life.

Neil wished he could be as outgoing and friendly as the seon was. But whenever he tried, he felt that somehow familiar fear- the fear of failure and rejection. And so, whenever possible, he stayed silent. If it had been possible, he would have let Daa do all the talking. Unfortunately for him, the seon insisted he handle the situations whenever possible.

On 4/16/2019 at 9:49 AM, FracturedCaptainClydeFrogn said:

Can I join?

Having judged your recent actions in the Alleyverse (and your sig), TUBA has chosen to deny you membership at this time. All questions should be directed at me privately.

On 4/16/2019 at 4:36 PM, Ark1002 said:

I believe @BitBitio is head of recruitment.

Thanks for the ping.

On 4/16/2019 at 6:02 PM, AonDii said:

can TUBA certify tHI?

*tries to act like he knows what that is*

*fails*

What's tHI?

• 2 weeks later...

Sudiov regarded the pastry before him with a very intense expression, he examined the glazing with an approving nod, tested the firmness with an intrigued smile and finally bit into it with an expression of delight.

Mmm, doughnut of course not a cookie, but that in itself allows for different sensations. Glazing wasn't crumbling, attached to the base nicely but without being gloopy, not too sweet but just enough to give it a bit of an edge. Dough was perfect consistency, cooked to perfection.

He licked the last crumbs from his fingers and looked at the next item in front of him. An apple pie sat on the table, fresh from the oven and still warm.

All those years I wasted trying to keep Voidus stuck and I could have been eating instead. Sudiov hung his head as he mentally lamented. Why did no one ever tell me that food was so delicious? I mean I always saw people eating it but they have those fleshy bodies to take care of, who would have thought you could actually enjoy it for something other than just sustenance?

He leaned back in his chair, waiting for the pie to reach optimal temperature, basking in the feelings of contentment that he had recently discovered. He still had to devote some of his attention towards other matters of course, the DA wouldn't stop being active just so he could enjoy a pie, but channelling a regular stream of energy towards the Void had become second nature now. It...

Sudiov suddenly shot up, plate clattering in front of him and nearly upending itself.

What is that? That's wrong, very very wrong. Dangerous.

His formerly content attitude vanished in an instant, the light around him began to dark as he put himself on edge, preparing for something.

"Excuse me!" He called out loudly, trying to attract the attention of another TUBA member, world-ending matters were no excuse to be rude after all. "Can someone call... everyone?"

A kid looked up from the cookie he was eating. White frosting and sprinkles were all over his face. 

"Everyone everyone?" he asked, excitedly. That meant big stuff.

Not that he'd be included, but no one ever included him in anything fun. Like the dangerous stuff. They all said he was too young.

Though they did let him run metal detectors every once and a while.

He then realized that he'd just stood there awkwardly instead of actually getting everyone's attention.

The kid jumped up and ran over to a panel on the wall. After typing in a passcode incorrectly a couple of times, he got it right. A little shelf slid out. On it was an array of different colored buttons.

He froze. No one had ever taught which was which. He tapped a relatively neutral looking neon orange. 

The loud speaker suddenly started announcing: "We are under attack by spiked monkeys! Repeat, we are under attack by spiked monkeys!"

"Nope, not that one, I guess," the boy muttered, then tapped a button labeled "press me if you want everyone to be called."

Mid-monkey warning, the speaker switched messages.

"If you would all be so kind as to come to the main atrium, it would be most appreciated. Thank you," it said.

Smiling at a job well done, the kid sat back down to finish his cookie.