TUBA - The Underground Bakers' Association

Sudiov waited patiently in a hallway, arms crossed behind his back and standing straight, watching the occasional passerby and giving them each a polite nod of greeting. But his hands were tensed, gripping onto the sleeves of his coat, his foot twitched from time to time as though aching to tap impatiently, and his eyes shifted anxiously from one end of the corridor to the other.

A few of the passersby were whispering to each other with stunned expressions on their faces, growing silent and giving him a cautious glare as they passed. He could have eavesdropped on them anyway but such a thing wouldn't be polite. Besides, he could already guess what they were probably whispering about, the only thing anyone would be whispering about right now, and the same reason that he was currently waiting impatiently in a corridor.

Finally he spotted a familiar figure approaching, the slight and short figure of the current leader of TUBA and someone who had attracted particular interest from him once he'd noticed some of her innate abilities.

"Deteca." He called out politely as she approached. "May I have a word? About the... recent urgencies."
@Ookla the Roleplayer

17 hours ago, Voidus said:

"Deteca." He called out politely as she approached. "May I have a word? About the... recent urgencies.“ 

Mind roiling, Deteca didn’t even know who she needed to talk to first, so it was a relief to hear someone calling to her. She moved to the side to meet him immediately and was still surprised - after all this time - to see Sudiov. She wondered if she’d ever get used to this sight. 

“Of course,” she said, looking at him. “It’s real?” It had to be with all the affirmation in her back pocket and people suddenly all aflutter, but it was hard not to hear ‘atium’ and think You’re joking. 

Expression still tight, Sudiov gave a small deferential nod of his head to Deteca as she joined him. Though he was grateful that she'd skipped right to the point that he needed to discuss with her. It seemed like she had grown anxious over this news as well.

"To the best that I can ascertain, yes it is." Sudiov said. "It's a long way underground, too much Aluminium ores between here and there to be able to be certain. But based on the news, and the movements of others it certainly seems real."

He glanced nervously up and down the corridor, though he already knew that there were none close enough to overhear. He considered a little Voidmaking to ensure extra privacy but that would likely just attract more attention and it seemed that there had been multiple guilds involved in the discovery anyway, along with an unaffiliated group that had been working on city projects. There was little hope of containing the information now.

"Assuming that it is genuine." He continued. "What do you plan to do about it? Others might seek this for its allomantic abilities, but to a Hemalurgist it may be even more valuable."

A spike that could steal anything, Sudiov did not possess all of Voidus' knowledge when it came to Hemalurgy, but he knew enough to know how dangerous that could potentially be. And with an entire cavern of the metal there would be enough for the DA to produce innumerable spikes.

On 12/16/2019 at 6:16 AM, Voidus said:

He considered a little Voidmaking to ensure extra privacy... 

Can you Voidmake sound waves? For that matter, light waves? 

I don’t know yet. “We need to make sure another guild war doesn’t happen over it,” she said firmly. “That’s a high priority. It would be best if it could be split equally, but Alleycity Excavation might claim it all.” 

• 1 month later...
On 12/11/2019 at 9:20 PM, Stormblessed Dolphin said:

“I, uh—right. Of course. I’ll get a message to Deteca right away!” Gared pulled a small mobile from his pocket, and tapped the screen in a manner that made Deveraux dizzy. 

Waiting for Sudiov’s answer, Deteca answered queries and demands on her cell phone, trying to inform bureaucrats and question TUBAists in the scouting group and check up on the independent group they’d sent down there, all at once. A new message came in and she tapped on it automatically, reading who it was from a second later; then quickly scanning its contents, expecting Gared to be wondering about the rumors of atium. 

Her eyes widened; she read it again, stopping on every word for longer than it required to comprehend. Then she shoved the phone into her back pocket. “I’m sorry,” she said, looking up at Sudiov. “I need to go deal with something.” She smiled at him, then turned and hurried to the nearest set of elevators. @Voidus 

Minutes after, she’d reached the door she’d been directed to. Nervously, Deteca opened it. 

Moving to the other thread now 

• 4 weeks later...
19 hours ago, The Hero of Masks said:

I do. you should learn an instrument. Its fun!

I don’t think I have the time or the interest to play an instrument, but thanks for the recommendation! :) 

Are you interested in joining the Alleyverse, or just asking? 

54 minutes ago, AonEne said:

I don’t think I have the time or the interest to play an instrument, but thanks for the recommendation! :) 

Are you interested in joining the Alleyverse, or just asking? 

Well i'm still pretty new. I am still learning my way around the shard. So do you think you could tell me what the Alleyverse is? 

5 hours ago, The Hero of Masks said:

Well i'm still pretty new. I am still learning my way around the shard. So do you think you could tell me what the Alleyverse is? 

Yeah definitely! The Alleyverse is an online written free-form roleplay, which is the official way of saying it’s a bunch of book nerds writing a story together. It’s the name of the RP itself and also the name of the universe it’s set in. It combines the cosmere with Brandon’s other works and some stuff of our own, and it’s pretty fun.

TUBA is one of several guilds that basically run the place, with the most powerful being the Dark Alley, AKA that group of crazy scientists who essentially created the world and can kill you really easily, but usually don’t. Also they’re bakers. So are we. (Our cookies are totally better, and also won’t kill you or rend your spiritweb into pieces, so that’s nice.) Other guilds include our own version of the Ghostbloods, the Church of the Whiterose, and the Scholar’s Guild. Plus like fifteen that are inactive. 

If you want more information on anything specific, let me know! The pinned threads in this subforum have more useful info as well. (In fact, I’m not sure why I wrote this all out instead of linking one of them or pointing you toward the wiki, oops. Too late now lol) 

Edited by AonEne

13 hours ago, AonEne said:

Yeah definitely! The Alleyverse is an online written free-form roleplay, which is the official way of saying it’s a bunch of book nerds writing a story together. It’s the name of the RP itself and also the name of the universe it’s set in. It combines the cosmere with Brandon’s other works and some stuff of our own, and it’s pretty fun.

TUBA is one of several guilds that basically run the place, with the most powerful being the Dark Alley, AKA that group of crazy scientists who essentially created the world and can kill you really easily, but usually don’t. Also they’re bakers. So are we. (Our cookies are totally better, and also won’t kill you or rend your spiritweb into pieces, so that’s nice.) Other guilds include our own version of the Ghostbloods, the Church of the Whiterose, and the Scholar’s Guild. Plus like fifteen that are inactive. 

If you want more information on anything specific, let me know! The pinned threads in this subforum have more useful info as well. (In fact, I’m not sure why I wrote this all out instead of linking one of them or pointing you toward the wiki, oops. Too late now lol) 

Thanks! I'm not that good at writing. So i don't think I'll be participating in writing very much. But i'll follow TUBA and read what you guys post. From what you've told me it sounds really fun! (and pretty funny!):):lol:

35 minutes ago, The Hero of Masks said:

Thanks! I'm not that good at writing. So i don't think I'll be participating in writing very much. But i'll follow TUBA and read what you guys post. From what you've told me it sounds really fun! (and pretty funny!):):lol:

Fair enough! I agree, it can lead to some interesting situations. 

On 2/20/2020 at 4:38 PM, The Hero of Masks said:

Do any of you play the tuba?

An NPC TUBAist walks by playing a tuba.

Spoiler

I don't play the tuba (I play piano), but that's what in character (IC) non-player characters (NPCs) are for! ^_^

18 hours ago, AonEne said:

Fair enough! I agree, it can lead to some interesting situations. 

*cough* pineapples *cough*

Edited by Silva

Ugh, Elantris isn't bad, and the concept is good, but the actual writing is nowhere near as good as Brandon Sanderson's later work, at least in my opinion. The main reason I like it compared with his later work is because of Hrathen.

Edited by kenod

Whoa, I didn’t realize it was possible to not die after expressing love for pineapples. I think you just found something monumental. Quick, someone put it in the history books! Liking Elantris negates liking pineapples. 

I love Elantris too! 

Spoiler

But in all seriousness you’re right, it’s really good :P as Kenod said the prose could be better, but the book itself is great. 

To me it feels rather unfinished. Raoden doesn't feel that interesting to me, and Sarene just plain annoys me. Of the Sel books I like TES much more, because of all the actual philosophy in it, and because the characters seem to have much more personality to me. I would really like a sequel to either of the books though, since the world itself is really interesting, especially with all the forms magic can have there.

I will say the main issue with Elantris was the pacing, Brandon was being experimental with the structure and it didn't pay off but I don't view the writing or the characters themselves as bad. Raoden is a bit of a generic man-of-the-people protagonist but he kind of needed to be for the arc of him being broken to work, by improving the pacing and trying something a little different we eventually got Kaladin.