Just finished Elantris, Need to Re-Read it?

Ok,

I am new to Brandon Sanderson, and started with Elantris (audiobook version).  

The story started off way too slow for me, and I almost didnt hang in there by the time I reached chapter 5 or 6.  However, the story started to unfold, and I just finished the book a couple of days ago.

Some of the things I liked about the book was the use of magic, character development, and the whole idea of the condition of Elantris, as well as how it was used as a place to put people who got "infected" by the Shaod.  The condition they were in was totally interesting, as well as what happens to a society where its inhabitants must live under those conditions.  The parts that really captured my attention was when I was saying to myself "no way, did that really happen?"

Some things I struggled with were the long sections of nothing really happening (yawn), the political aspects (admittedly, I am not into politics at all) and how it seems like many ideas created by the author were just thrown at the reader, without much introduction or explanation.  Many of those ideas never really got developed or explored as much as I would have liked to see, especially since he created so many unfamiliar fantasy components in his story.  The "happy ever after" ending wasnt as creative or epic as it could have been.

Overall, I enjoyed the book.  I can now understand why so many people re-read the book, as I have the inclination to go through it again, especially since I listened to the audiobook mostly while driving.

Some advice I would give if/when you reread it:

Read it with the idea that Hrathen is the hero of the story in mind. It will give you very different and in my opinion more interesting perspective of the entire story.

Edit: Welcome to the Shard. Have an upvote. Eat as many cookies as you can.B)

Edited by The Sovereign

He's kidding about the cookies. 

I disagree with your opinion that the story is slow. That said, maybe if you read it again, you'll be more impressed by world building and intricacies of the plot. Even if you don't, don't let one book sour your opinion of Brandon’s works. He's got lots of other stuff you can read, each with their own charm and value. 

Keep in mind that Elantris was the first book Sanderson got published.  His writing style and plot development have gotten a lot better since 2005, at least in my opinion.  If you looking for a new series, I’d suggest Mistborn before Stormlight Archive, especially if you’re doing audio books (stormlight archive audio books are around 50 hours in length).

On the subject of things being left developed or explored, The Elantris Saga is meant to be a Trilogy. Dakhor(and Fjordell) is gonna be explored in Book 2, Book 3 is unknown, but there was a mention that he had to finish the trilogy before writing Mistborn Era 3 for "Cosmere reasons."

There was also a short story called The Hope of Elantris, not that I've found it to read yet, but I know it has Raoden in it.

2 hours ago, The One Who Connects said:

There was also a short story called The Hope of Elantris, not that I've found it to read yet, but I know it has Raoden in it.

It's in the Arcanum Unbounded (if you meant to say you haven't found it. If you meant to say you haven't found time to read it, I highly recommend it).

@Habanero, I felt much the same way about Elantris (I also listened to the audiobook). The second time I listened to it, it connected better in general. Part of it was knowing what was going to happen (somewhat at least, since there were a few years between listening). The Hope of Elantris also helps fill in some of story at the end of the book, making it less the weird "happily ever after" that it seemed.

EDIT: I wouldn't recommend an immediate re-read. Wait a bit, read some of the other Sanderson novels (as has been said, Mistborn is a great place to start), then go back to Elantris.

Edited by Elandera

21 hours ago, Elandera said:

It's in the Arcanum Unbounded (if you meant to say you haven't found it. If you meant to say you haven't found time to read it, I highly recommend it).

I meant to say what I said. i had been assuming it was a separate short story like.. (Secret History?) was for a while. (Haven't really opened Arcanum Unbounded yet, except when a discussion basically forced me to scour Edgedancer to finish my reply)

Thanks for clearing that up though. I'll probably check it out sometime

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/13/2018 at 8:55 PM, The One Who Connects said:

I meant to say what I said. i had been assuming it was a separate short story like.. (Secret History?) was for a while. (Haven't really opened Arcanum Unbounded yet, except when a discussion basically forced me to scour Edgedancer to finish my reply)

Thanks for clearing that up though. I'll probably check it out sometime

Secret history is in Arcanum Unbounded as well... lol 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 12/04/2018 at 3:12 PM, Habanero said:

The story started off way too slow for me, and I almost didnt hang in there by the time I reached chapter 5 or 6.  However, the story started to unfold, and I just finished the book a couple of days ago.

I have to say I quit reading Elantris at 20%. But a friend recomended Mistborn and I decided to give Brandon another chance. And boy, how I´m glad I did. After reading Mistborn (and of course loved it) I resumed Elantris and the book was just amazing. Now I´m on a crusade to read all of Brandon´s works before reading anything else.

• 2 weeks later...

If you've read his books only once, then I can recommend you to read them again after you got a bit of a feeling for the whole Cosmere Plot behind them. Suddenly there are some sentences that get an whole new meaning or a chapter gets another Fokus and you're like "oh that happens there, now I understand what that really means" ;)

• 2 months later...

After Elantris, I'd recommend reading Mistborn, all six of them.  Then Warbreaker.  Then Stormlight.  

Arcanum Unbounded should be read after the second Stormlight book, but before the third.  The reason for this is because Edgedancer is a Novella that is rather important, and is basically Stormlight 2.5.   However, Secret History is also in there, and it's a Mistborn short story, and should be read AFTER all six Mistborn books.  The other stories in there can technically be read at any time.  

I really need to get a copy of White Sand.  

• 7 months later...
On 9/28/2018 at 1:03 PM, Sun Maker said:

If you really enjoy audiobooks, you might try out Graphic Audiobooks. They have a full cast and can be incredible for Stormlight Archives and Mistborn. 

I'm just going to start listening to Mistborn tonight or tomorrow via Graphic Audio. Elantris was very good by them as well!

-Doug

I started off with The Stormlight Archives before moving onto the Mistborn series. Elantris was the third series in the cosmere that I read.

As mentioned above, the style of writing is noticeably different. It is clear that the book is the first in the cosmere and his complete talent is yet to be put on full display.

I second the idea of reading more of his work before rereading it as you begin to have faith in his writing style - a slow start, detailed character building, an exhilarating conclusion.

If you haven't read the other series then I recommend moving onto Mistborn whilst the series is still fresh. 

The first Mistborn trilogy is a truly inspiring fantasy story about a thieving crew looking to overthrow the Lord Ruler. The magic system involves ingesting metals for different powers and Sanderson has fun with this system and really grows the characters around this.

Stormlight is an overwhelming high fantasy story and is Sandersons best writing however i advise starting with his earlier work, getting used to his writing and then moving forwards. That way you will see the tiny Cosmere connections. The stories can be lead separately as they have their own arcs but there is a large macro-story going on and you'll want to really be involved with Stormlight; the books are a grand undertaking!

Throwing in some Arcanum stories, Warbreaker and White Sand; it'd be a good time to start a full read through!