Vindication Gun Confusion

Kidpen

Vindication is named after the ascendant warrior (Vin) but shouldn't vindication mean something different in Scadrian? Is this just kind of poetic license, even though it wouldn't technically work?

2 hours ago, CaptainRyan said:

“Touché.”

“Does that word even make sense in-world?”

“Damned if I know,” Kelsier said. “We got away with ‘hat trick,’ didn’t we?"

[Source: http://www.unboundworlds.com/2012/03/cage-match-2012-round-4-moiraine-damodred-versus-kelsier/ ]

I don't know what you're referring to, but those are translation things. This refers specifically to the spelling of the word.

12 hours ago, Kidpen said:

I don't know what you're referring to, but those are translation things. This refers specifically to the spelling of the word.

The link is to a "cage match" between Kelsier and Moiraine. The reason I linked it is because Brandon, through Kelsier, makes fun of himself for using obviously Earth-based phrases in his "translated" works.

Another area we see this is in the Stormlight Archive. Shallan makes an incredible number of (questionable) puns. E.g. In one of her flashbacks she makes a plant-based pun on how the "lief" in relief sounds just like leaf. Now unless Veden also happens to have the same sounds for leaf and relief in their languages and also have the "re" (i.e. do again) prefix then we just have to accept that, even though Brandon claims these works are "translated", they are actually just written in English.

So, if you need head canon for that phrase then I recommend accepting that in whatever language they speak in Elendel, there is a word for "vindication" that also happens to sound like Vin's name.

• Chaos locked this topic