What stops shard things from sinking through the earth

Now, as we know, shardblades can be stuck into things without resistance up to the hilt, but this is not the only form they can take. For instance, Sylspear has only the tip actually sharp, but if nothing past that can pass through things, then can he stab people past that. And what about Wyndle's best form, the shardfork. Where does that stop. Is it only the times of the fork or what. And Wyndle's other form the shardfork, is it able to pass through anything at all. Maybe the impermeable parts are like shardblade or the shardblade guards they use for shardblade training.

I would bet an emerald broam that it has to do with intent. So much of the magic can only be performed with the right intent. My bet is that you can stick a shardfork/shardblade/shardspear in to anything as far as you intend to. If you intend the shardblade to be left standing half stabbed into the ground to be left as an awesome symbol of your shoving off of an oppressive pact you made with a piece of god, it can totally do that for you. If you want it to cleave all the way through your intended target it can do that too.

5 hours ago, King Cole said:

5 hours ago, Belzedar said:

I suspect it's related to the earth being somehow invested or alive. It might be the same principle as the Lastclap.

But is the earth invested in Roshar because it doesn't seem to have any magical properties except the radiants being able to shape it, and that implies its not invested.

8 hours ago, theuntaintedchild said:

I would bet an emerald broam that it has to do with intent. So much of the magic can only be performed with the right intent. My bet is that you can stick a shardfork/shardblade/shardspear in to anything as far as you intend to. If you intend the shardblade to be left standing half stabbed into the ground to be left as an awesome symbol of your shoving off of an oppressive pact you made with a piece of god, it can totally do that for you. If you want it to cleave all the way through your intended target it can do that too.

This one seems to make the most sense but someone I spoke with about this said it was just to do with when it gets blunt. The blunt part of a blade is the hilt and the fork just past the tines. However, what about a spear. Your explanation makes way more sense in that case.

8 hours ago, Agent34 said:

Make sure you remove the spike before eating it.

But if I stab the spike into me through the cookie I get the cookies allomancy powers why would I want to pass that up.

2 hours ago, Herald of Speculation said:

This is true but that force would be gravity if you just dropped it.

There is no intent behind it. Since it encounters resistance, the ground would slow it down rather quickly. It's like if you dropped a sword into the ground, if it was super sharp then it would go down some, but it wouldn't keep going

• 2 weeks later...

It's a purelly mechanical phenomen.

The Blade's Edge cuts everything but the rest of the Blade doesn't phase Upon not living objects.

So when you leave the Blade strucked in the ground...the not Edge part of the Blade recive resistence from the ground itself.

It's a Last Clap made by the Earth

On 11-4-2018 at 11:33 PM, Herald of Speculation said:

But if I stab the spike into me through the cookie I get the cookies allomancy powers why would I want to pass that up.

Because you're the one they're taking powers from. Don't trust the DA. You'll regret it.

As for the question of the thread, I think it has to do with, indeed, intent and perception. Just like Kaladin's scars won't heal from Stormlight because he considers it a part of him. People don't expect the sword to fall through the planet, so it doesn't. It may also be a subcionscious command from people, though that does not explain why Sadeas' blade did not fall through, as it was unbonded.

But yeah, we know perception is often important in the Cosmere, so it's probably best to just shove it on that.

(oh and by the way, try to edit your posts instead of posting multiple times in a row)

Minor Oathbringer Spoiler for part of this. But, as far as not sliding through the world, there definitely has to be some kind of momentum or force behind the blade to cut through things, same as when they just bury the tip of the shardblade into the ground and leave it freestanding to grab and it doesn't continue to slide. I'm assuming it's possible to have the blade cut all the way through, but to do that, I imagine there would have to be some driving force behind this (intent being included as a force.)

Spoiler

In Oathbringer, when Shallan (acting as Radiant) trains with Adolin, she declines the guard that Adolin brings, stating that there is no need and she can adjust accordingly, then the blade dulls itself and makes it safe to where it wouldn't cut through things. So, that takes care of the whole Wyndle fork and other minor details where certain parts don't pierce/cut like shardblades do.

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎4‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 1:19 AM, Yata said:

I hadn't considered The Last Clap. Shoving the answer purely on Intent alone doesn't account for The Last Clap. Because a sword wielder aiming to kill doesn't ever intend for the target to catch the sword at the last moment. The only thing I can think of is perhaps someone tried to cleave through someone a little more powerfully invested, (Maybe Hoid or a Herald) someone who was strong enough to override the intent of the sword wielder. This event was witnessed and then it became a perceived possibility. Or perhaps the stronger intent wins out.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 21/04/2018 at 3:19 AM, Yata said:

It's a purelly mechanical phenomen.

The Blade's Edge cuts everything but the rest of the Blade doesn't phase Upon not living objects.

So when you leave the Blade strucked in the ground...the not Edge part of the Blade recive resistence from the ground itself.

This makes the most sense.  It's simple friction acting on the dull sides of the blade.  Considering how fine a point shardblade can probably cut, I'd imagine the friction gets pretty strong pretty quickly on the sides of the blade assuming it even tapers out a little (and if it didn't taper it wouldn't be much of a blade; just a thin sheet of metal).

• Chaos locked this topic