Defeating Forging and Soulcasting with Feruchemy

Gasper

Given that both forgery and soulcasting seem to work on some level with the identity of an object, would it be possible to undo both magics by using Aluminum Feruchemy? That is if you could store the identity of an object in a metalmind. Yes, I know this is a little far fetched, but think about it for a moment.

You'd need some way to externalize the effect of F-Aluminum; Feruchemy naturally only works on the user's attributes, including Identity. Maybe a godmetal alloy, though we have Word of Peter that we shouldn't expect those to follow any specific pattern (IE we can't assume that because A-Malatium externalized the effect of A-Gold it would do the same thing for other allomantic powers or for feruchemy generally) and Brandon's said he hasn't canonized most of the effects even in his notes.

Of course, the easiest way to defeat Forgery is to just remove the stamp...

Edited by Weltall

Relevant

sebarial

Would a feruchemist actively storing identity be more susceptible to Forgery? Would more outlandish changes be able to take effect? Thanks for your time, and have a wonderful day.

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, if you store identity, it makes you susceptible to ALL KINDS of things in the Cosmere. Forgery would be on the short list.

bubblebooy

Does the difficulty of effecting metals in a body with Allomancy have to do with identity?

Brandon Sanderson

No, more to do with the fact that most people are innately invested in the Cosmere--and certain planets have extra investiture. Something invested is more difficult to transform/move/etc with another form of investiture.

bubblebooy

That is what I had originally thought before you capitalized "ALL KINDS".Is soulcasting people like Jasnah Kholin did doubly hard since people a have a strong sense of identity and have innate investiture?

Brandon Sanderson

We're getting a bit far on this course, so it's time to pull out the RAFOs. I don't want to overplay my hand and leave the books without anything to talk about. :)

Phantine

Does that 'inside a body' thing work on most magics?

For instance, if Han stuck Luke into a Mistborn Tauntaun (a distant and unlucky relative of the mistborn llama), would Luke be protected from both the cold and emotional allomancy?

Brandon Sanderson

He'd have to get him inside a living one.

It does work on most magics, though the interactions can be odd unless you know a lot about the workings. Emotional Allomancy, for example, works by lapping against the outsides of someone's cognitive self, influencing you the way music might stir your soul. So being inside a living body wouldn't necessarily stop it--you'd just have more interference. Kind of like how you can still hear music outside if it's loud enough.

Actual mind control in the cosmere requires you to get INSIDE the soul, which you've seen happen frequently enough. There has to be a gap or an opening.

Or, conversely, you just have to be so powerful that you can push through the interference.

source

Though you can't really use it on outside stuff, a feruchemist tapping Identity would probably far more resistant to forgery and soulcasting.

So that WoB got me thinking, what if somebody started storing identity, forged some of their attributes, and then stored that and then took back their identity. Could somebody store versions of themselves from forgery in a metal?

I know wonder if using Feruchemy to manipulate Connection and Identity make it easier to adopt native magic systems?  Is this part of Hoid's process for attracting the less accessible forms of Investiture to himself?

• Chaos locked this topic