New to Sanderson, just read reckoners. Wow.

mek293

Glad to find a fan site.  I am new to Sanderson's works, although I had heard of him due to the WoT books.  My friend recommended starting with the reckoners to ease in.  Wow, I was blown away.  I am moving on to Mistborn next, which my friend also says is a classic, before moving on to stormlight.  Just happy to find other people who get obsessed with amazing authors like Sanderson!  I have also been watching his BYU youtube lectures, man that guy is just awesome.

Also, does anyone recommend the single titles (elantris, warbreaker, etc) over going straight into mistborn/stormlight?  I know some are in the cosmere and some aren't.  Or am I doing this in a good order?

Welcome! There's a lot of debate about the best order to read the books in. There are lists and stuff somewhere around here... The Mistborn series is a bigger commitment than the standalone texts, but well worth your time. Reckoners is non-cosmere. If you're looking to start the cosmere, I recommend reading Elantris. That said, it really doesn't matter which series you read first because even though they are all connected, they can all be read without knowing what happens in the other books. Happy reading!

Good to hear.  I am excited to get into cosmere.  The reckoners was amazing, I love his style, and I am also excited for the idea of Apocalype Guard being connected to Reckoners.  Does anyone have a favorite?  I've heard mistborn is one of the best but would love to hear other opinions!  Looking forward to Skyward as well.  

Also looking forward to attempting to be part of the fan base here!

Welcome, @mek293! Have an upvote! Cosmere books are awesome, especially Elantris. Elantris is a traditional place to start in the fandom because it is a bit easier (read; shorter, less intense) than Stormlight or Mistborn. I, personally, would suggest his children's series, Alcatraz versus the Evil Librarians, but only if you want to wet yourself with laughter.

@I am Witless Thanks for the recommendation.  I have been interested in that one, was wondering how YA it really is.  I will probably read them because I am currently obsessed with sanderson and want to read anything and everything I can get my hands on.  I probably will start with Mistborn or Elantris.  We shall see.

Welcome! Have an upvote!

Reckoners are awesome. I would personally suggest reading Mistborn next. I would also recommend reading Warbreaker before the second Stormlight book. Also, do note that the forums for different books contains spoilers (and the Cosmere subforum has spoilers for everything). 

Thanks for all the replies and support, I think I will start with mistborn and go from there.  I am definitely hooked on Sanderson though.  Really wish he'd come to my area for a book signing, but might go ahead and buy one signed from his site.  Seems like people get good responses from his signings through there.  I am also starting to get into writing a bit, like I've always wanted to, but Sanderson has lit the way for me.  Any good resources/tips/tools from fellow writers here?  I love Sci Fi and Fantasy, so I'll be working with that genre I imagine mostly, but who knows where I'll end up!  Also does anyone have any more info about the release date or news on the Apocalypse Guard?  Or anything about Sanderson books becoming movies in the near future?  I've seen a couple posts from the last few years, but man, I would love a Reckoners movie (although we all know it wouldn't compare to the books).

Thanks everyone!

26 minutes ago, mek293 said:

Also does anyone have any more info about the release date or news on the Apocalypse Guard?

Sadly, as I understand it Apocalypse Guard is on hiatus. While working on it he realized it just wasn't working. He has another Reckoners Universe  work floating around in his mind with Mizzy being the main character. So we may have that to look forward to in a few years.  He may still go back to Apocalypse Guard too though if he can figure out what needs to be fixed. And if anyone can it's Sanderson.

Edited by theuntaintedchild

26 minutes ago, theuntaintedchild said:

And if anyone can it's Sanderson.

Thats for sure.  I really liked the idea behind it and how it could've tied to the Reckoner's.  I would love to see an expanded universe, but I know that it kind of wrapped up nicely, so who knows what the future holds. 

Thanks for the info!