Crazy Theory: Iyatil

Karou

Is it possible that Vin if ressurected by whomever may be awesome enough to revive her isn't in fact "Vin" but Preservation(mentally at least)?  Perhaps the change from mortal to "god" is permanent.... and if so she will have a totally different perspective on everything.  She may have founded the Ghost Bloods for her own supernatural goals like preserving the area around Roshar.

I do not believe Mr. Sanderson ever said Vin's story was dead, but he said the Vin/Elend story was dead.  This does not rule out the return of my favorite fictional bad-chull lady!

I am terrified though, if  Nightblood is in Szeths hands and faces Vin... I can't have her die again... Not for a lost planet like Roshar.

As you can tell I am finishing up my bottle of irish whiskey tonight!

I could certainly see Sanderson using a phrase like "tucked beneath her legs" in that way to indicate a connection. But ... I could also see it being pure coincidence, since it's a common phrase. And, imo, authors tend to have phrases that they use more frequently than others. While I don't recall it right now, I know I noticed some other phrase in WoR (or possibly an unusual word) that he used repeatedly. 

I think it's just something like that. But a very good catch, even so. Neat theory. 

I am thinking that the Stormlight Archive will be the catalyst to the wider Cosmere Story. We know that he plans 36 books... I think the last Stormlight archive will be the point when we know what is going on, where is happening... I am beginning to suspect that Odium is a distraction - that there is a greater evil at work, manipulating the shards against one another... I have no evidence for this - but I would love the brightest and best characters of the Cosmere to gather on Roshar, in preparation for this finale... Just mindless speculation there... I hope you are right. I would love the characters to start coming together...

Wayne and Lopen  would be an unbeatable hilarious team  :lol:

Wayne and Lopen  would be an unbeatable hilarious team  :lol:

Wayne...and THE Lopen.  EPIC BADASSES.  

As a team...

Surgebind Odium's face to the ground (do gods have faces?  Maybe have Odium in his Rayse body just for fun) while using a time bubble so he can't counter or dodge, then insult him.  I would pay good money to see that.  

• 1 year later...

I am thinking that the Stormlight Archive will be the catalyst to the wider Cosmere Story. We know that he plans 36 books... I think the last Stormlight archive will be the point when we know what is going on, where is happening... I am beginning to suspect that Odium is a distraction - that there is a greater evil at work, manipulating the shards against one another... I have no evidence for this - but I would love the brightest and best characters of the Cosmere to gather on Roshar, in preparation for this finale... Just mindless speculation there... I hope you are right. I would love the characters to start coming together...

I believe the count is over 44 at this point

I agree this theory probably isn't true....but a few other things going for it.

Iyatil is (probably) from Scadrial

shows a tendency to prefer infiltration by deception rather than infiltration by stealth. Let's be honest, Vin would never talk her way into a building when she could creep ^_^

Also Vin used infiltration by stealth as Valette and may have come to understand it's benefits

While I love this theory, I'm pretty sure based on some new information around some of the people mentioned here this isn't true!

While this is true, it's also a thread necro, which is generally frowned upon. If you're confused about what a thread necro is, or what the site rules are, you can look it up here. (If what I said sounds harsh, I'm sorry. It's just meant to be a friendly nudge.)

While this is true, it's also a thread necro, which is generally frowned upon. If you're confused about what a thread necro is, or what the site rules are, you can look it up here. (If what I said sounds harsh, I'm sorry. It's just meant to be a friendly nudge.)

From the rules:

On that same note, don't bring back topics that have been dead forever. This is called thread necromancy (or simply "necroing"). If after a long time you post something new in a topic--one whose discussion has long since ended--that would be thread necroing. We're going to be more lenient about this on the Brandon Sanderson forums, because if you have something to add in the "Mistborn Movie Casting" topic and there hasn't been a post there in a great while, why shouldn't you? You're adding something to the discussion, that's fantastic! A lot of the Books forums will have theory threads, and if you have something to add to them which just perfectly fits the topic, better to revive a dead thread, right?

This is a scenario where a necro seems perfectly acceptable based on that.  New information in a theory thread, right?  (Though VirtuousTraveller's post admittedly didn't contain that new information.)

jW

Edited by Jondesu

• 3 years later...

Seceret Histories kills the theory, but I like the idea of a Scadrial character we know being Iyatil. So..SPOILERS. I'd like to think it's possible that she's Marasi. The mask comes from the third book of Era 2 Mistborn (after WoR) , in which we learn of the Southern Scadrians. Marasi finds and makes a connection with one of them and kind of hits it off , the fourth book hasn't come out, and I'm sure we'll see more of them, That being, she's one of the character than can be a world hopper, since her entire arch is finding her own destiny, and others already have a place in their world (maybe not wax, but he's not girl, so he's out). Also, Iyaltil seems to be, at least, one of the uppers of a very well organized group of researchers [investigators], and gang. Marasi would know a lot about how gangs work and how to run them, as well as researching the world around her, and the ghostbloods are very good at knowing things that no one else does. It may be out of her justice complex, but as we're seeing more and more, the cosmere character's moralities are getting stretched as the story progresses, so it's not unlikely that her justice is being shifted, considering the ghostbloods think they're saving the cosmere.

1 hour ago, Bendinfinities said:

Seceret Histories kills the theory, but I like the idea of a Scadrial character we know being Iyatil. So..SPOILERS. I'd like to think it's possible that she's Marasi. The mask comes from the third book of Era 2 Mistborn (after WoR) , in which we learn of the Southern Scadrians. Marasi finds and makes a connection with one of them and kind of hits it off , the fourth book hasn't come out, and I'm sure we'll see more of them, That being, she's one of the character than can be a world hopper, since her entire arch is finding her own destiny, and others already have a place in their world (maybe not wax, but he's not girl, so he's out). Also, Iyaltil seems to be, at least, one of the uppers of a very well organized group of researchers [investigators], and gang. Marasi would know a lot about how gangs work and how to run them, as well as researching the world around her, and the ghostbloods are very good at knowing things that no one else does. It may be out of her justice complex, but as we're seeing more and more, the cosmere character's moralities are getting stretched as the story progresses, so it's not unlikely that her justice is being shifted, considering the ghostbloods think they're saving the cosmere.

Mmmm I like how this necro follows a post explaining necroing and why it's bad :D

Also, Mistborn Era 2 is after Stormlight Archive books 1-5, so that wouldn't work out.

Iyatil is not from Scadrial:

Questioner (paraphrased)

Is Iyatil from Scadrial?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

Her heritage is from Scadrial, but she actually is from Silverlight. It's more recent than my heritage from Denmark.

Stuttgart signing (May 17, 2019)

And she was once part of the 17th Shard:

Ace0003

[Can you write] something interesting about the Seventeeth Shard? ...Or how about this, a character that's in the Seventeenth Shard that we don't know about?

Brandon Sanderson

*spoken* ...I can do that--

*written* So... Iyatil was once in the 17th Shard...

Oathbringer release party (Nov. 13, 2017)

That's pretty much all we know about her. She's most definitely not a character we've seen before.

On 7/6/2019 at 11:49 PM, Elegy said:

Iyatil is not from Scadrial:

And she was once part of the 17th Shard:

That's pretty much all we know about her. She's most definitely not a character we've seen before.

Was wondering when someone would bring this up. 

Yeah Iyatil being Vin would be cool, but some of her dialogue (about being hunters and whatnot) really points to her having heritage from Southern Scardrial. 

THAT BEING SAID, Brandon could be playing semantics, where the alias that is Vin is dead and the alias that is iyatil was born in Silverlight. Or maybe something weird like how the spirit and/or spirit web is the same but the cognitive and physical aspects are different/new...but that might lead into reincarnation stuff that I'm sure Brandon doesn't want to touch...then again that could be related to how the Heralds get new bodies/Kelsier's potential dilemma...Hmmm...the more tinfoil-y this gets, the more I like it!

So I just wanted to mention, again, that this thread was from 2014, 5 years ago. Before Secret History or even Shadows of Self and Bands of Mourning came out.

Secret History confirms Vin is dead and Beyond. We literally see her go Beyond.

SA takes place before Era 2, so before Marasi even met Allik, let alone learned about the cosmere.

Brandon has said we haven't seen Iyatil before, that she was born in Silverlight and that she's South Scadrian in the same way he'd be considered Danish.

Eric

Have we seen Iyatil in any other context, published or unpublished?

Brandon Sanderson

You have not.

Calamity Chicago signing (Feb. 22, 2016)  

Questioner (paraphrased)

Is Iyatil from Scadrial?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

Her heritage is from Scadrial, but she actually is from Silverlight. It's more recent than my heritage from Denmark.

Stuttgart signing (May 17, 2019)

Dragon13

Is Iyatil of Malwish descent?

Brandon Sanderson

In the same way that I am of Danish descent.

Dragon13

Would she perhaps have been born on either Taldain or Threnody?

Brandon Sanderson

She was not born on either one.

Calamity Chicago signing (Feb. 22, 2016)

Edited by RShara

On 3/14/2014 at 2:18 PM, Karou said:

(Hopefully this is the right place to post this.)

So, while reading WoR, I fixated on the wording of one sentence... this is what came of it.

Theory: Vin is Iyatil.

Evidence:

• “Vin rode on the seat directly across from him – her legs tucked up underneath her...” Mistborn, page 149
  • “Vin sat in her overstuffed chair in the conference room, legs tucked beneath her..” Mistborn, page 200
  • “She still wore her dress … though she sat in an unladylike position, legs tucked beneath her.” Mistborn page 320.

(I can't find my copy of Mistborn, but I found those with a quick google search.)

• “Iyatil sat across from Shallan, legs tucked beneath her, watching with beady, masked eyes. The woman wore simple trousers and a shirt, such that Shallan had originally mistaken her for a boy that first time.” Sanderson, Brandon (2014-03-04). Words of Radiance (Stormlight Archive, The) (p. 757). Tom Doherty Associates. Kindle Edition.

Flimsy evidence, yes, but Brandon Sanderson seems to be the type of guy who chooses his words carefully.

More circumstantial evidence:

• Iyatil carries a dagger; Vin, as a Mistborn carried glass ones, so her non-allomantic weapon of choice would likely be a dagger.
  • Iyatil is tiny and dresses in simple trousers and a shirt... like Vin.
  • It's been a while since I've reread Mistborn, so I can't say much for personality – Vin changed a lot throughout the series, so I'm going of vague memories here – Iyatil is mostly quiet – she definitely speaks before she speaks. She's very cautious. Seems to be the way I remember Vin.

But wait, you say. Vin is dead.

• Yes, and Sazed was unable to bring her back to life. But, there are approximately 300 years between the Mistborn Trilogy and Alloy of Law. The events in the Stormlight Archive occur during that 300 year gap. It's not unreasonable to think that Sazed may have found a way to bring her back sometime after the close of Hero of Ages. Also, if Demoux is a worldhopper, why not zombie Vin as well?

The Ghostbloods don't really seem like the kind of organization Vin would be a part of, right?

• Well, we don't really know a whole lot about them... maybe she's on an infiltration mission?

I don’t think Vin is Iyatil, even though you bring some convincing theories. Sazed said in Mistborn secret history that he can’t touch the Spiritual Realm, and we saw her and Elend go to it though Kelsier’s view. Good theory.

1 minute ago, Dragon reborn said:

I don’t think Vin is Iyatil, even though you bring some convincing theories. Sazed said in Mistborn secret history that he can’t touch the Spiritual Realm, and we saw her and Elend go to it though Kelsier’s view. Good theory.

Psst, this is still from 2014 :) And yeah, Vin isn't Iyatil. That was solidly disproven by Secret History.

• Chaos locked this topic