Crazy Theory: Iyatil

Karou

(Hopefully this is the right place to post this.)

So, while reading WoR, I fixated on the wording of one sentence... this is what came of it.

Theory: Vin is Iyatil.

Evidence:

• “Vin rode on the seat directly across from him – her legs tucked up underneath her...” Mistborn, page 149
  • “Vin sat in her overstuffed chair in the conference room, legs tucked beneath her..” Mistborn, page 200
  • “She still wore her dress … though she sat in an unladylike position, legs tucked beneath her.” Mistborn page 320.

(I can't find my copy of Mistborn, but I found those with a quick google search.)

• “Iyatil sat across from Shallan, legs tucked beneath her, watching with beady, masked eyes. The woman wore simple trousers and a shirt, such that Shallan had originally mistaken her for a boy that first time.” Sanderson, Brandon (2014-03-04). Words of Radiance (Stormlight Archive, The) (p. 757). Tom Doherty Associates. Kindle Edition.

Flimsy evidence, yes, but Brandon Sanderson seems to be the type of guy who chooses his words carefully.

More circumstantial evidence:

• Iyatil carries a dagger; Vin, as a Mistborn carried glass ones, so her non-allomantic weapon of choice would likely be a dagger.
  • Iyatil is tiny and dresses in simple trousers and a shirt... like Vin.
  • It's been a while since I've reread Mistborn, so I can't say much for personality – Vin changed a lot throughout the series, so I'm going of vague memories here – Iyatil is mostly quiet – she definitely speaks before she speaks. She's very cautious. Seems to be the way I remember Vin.

But wait, you say. Vin is dead.

• Yes, and Sazed was unable to bring her back to life. But, there are approximately 300 years between the Mistborn Trilogy and Alloy of Law. The events in the Stormlight Archive occur during that 300 year gap. It's not unreasonable to think that Sazed may have found a way to bring her back sometime after the close of Hero of Ages. Also, if Demoux is a worldhopper, why not zombie Vin as well?

The Ghostbloods don't really seem like the kind of organization Vin would be a part of, right?

• Well, we don't really know a whole lot about them... maybe she's on an infiltration mission?

I don't think you are right but I hope you are. I can just imagine Vin training Shallan in how to be a huge badass.

For a more serious answer Brandon did specifically say Vin/Elend story was done. Also don't see Vin just sitting back and letting other people do the work for her. She would also be far too powerful unless she doesn't have access to her metals unless she doesn't have her powers. 

Edited by Numb

Good catch!  I would have never caught this.  She does sound like Vin from the comparisons you've brought up and you are right Mr. Sanderson is definitely someone who would choose his words carefully.  That or he really likes torturing people and he knew that a character similar to Vin in certain ways would drive people bonkers.

I wonder if Zombie Vin would be as awesome as Mistborn Vin?!  I hope this is a correct theory!

I am thinking that the Stormlight Archive will be the catalyst to the wider Cosmere Story. We know that he plans 36 books... I think the last Stormlight archive will be the point when we know what is going on, where is happening...

I am beginning to suspect that Odium is a distraction - that there is a greater evil at work, manipulating the shards against one another... I have no evidence for this - but I would love the brightest and best characters of the Cosmere to gather on Roshar, in preparation for this finale...

Just mindless speculation there...

I hope you are right. I would love the characters to start coming together...

For a more serious answer Brandon did specifically say Vin/Elend story was done. Also don't see Vin just sitting back and letting other people do the work for her. She would also be far too powerful unless she doesn't have access to her metals unless she doesn't have her powers. 

I was worried someone would say something like that. :)

I would love the brightest and best characters of the Cosmere to gather on Roshar

Agreed; that would be pretty awesome.

Is it possible someone could have figured out how to bring a hero such as Vin back? 

Also I believe the events that happen in the Stormlight Archive are going to be tied to something more vast than just the Stormlight Archive itself.  It seems important people are gravitating towards Roshar and while they may only be making easter egg cameos; I believe their appearance means something massive is going to happen here in regards to the  Cosmere.

Is it possible to fuel allomancy with stormlight? Because if she is vin and it is possible to fuel allomancy with stormlight, how powerful would vin be?

It's possible with jury-rigging. We don't know what that involves. It would be much like using the mists by our current understanding of magic use.

I don't believe that Iyatil is Vin, simply because Sanderson has said many times that he is not in the habit of resurrecting characters - if they die, he wants them to die, even if their influence lives on. Another huge point, Iyatil's turns of phrase are very formal - not at all like Vin. Iya talks even more formally than the lighteyes. Iyatil also shows a tendency to prefer infiltration by deception rather than infiltration by stealth. Let's be honest, Vin would never talk her way into a building when she could creep ^_^

That said, there are a lot of coincidental traits with Vin.

Iyatil is the master of Mraize. Mraize is widely suspected to be worldhopper, and the ghostblood layer in specific had a large number of off-Roshar items in it. It is extremely likely she is a worldhopper, or at the very least is in collusion with a world hopper.

Iyatil mentions that she wears the mask because it leaves her less exposed, and makes it easier to adapt. Similar to say... mistcloaks and the mist?

But I think these are just coincidences. It's not unusual for writers to stock a number of habits and traits that they reuse over and over again to show particular things. 

Edited by Tempus

One of the potential story reasons I could say this, is if Vin ever found out why Preservation was killed she would be VERY upset.

Upset enough to look further into it.

She just seems passionate enough not to let other people solve her problems.

Although why would she wear a mask?

Sanderson did say that Saze has a hard time acting against Odium because of his Shards nature. What better indirect way to fight Odium than resurrect the personification of badass?

Upvoting this because pure awesomeness,  

Even though it's something of a crackpot theory for reasons already discussed...I love it and I soooooo want it to be true.  SA appears to be a big Crisis Crossover sort of series.  And Vin plus Vasher plus Nightblood plus Galladon plus every other epic badass in the cosmere equals an asskicking curb-stomp of Odium.  

I'm too lazy to look it up but I believe in one of the HoA annotations, it was stated that Vin would not be returning and how Brandon had a discussion with a reader who wanted everybody to live happily ever after (which is incredibly unrealistic.)

Well, that’s my first trilogy. I think I improved quite a bit as I wrote these books, and hopefully this ending will satisfy my readers. The inevitable question is going to be “Will there be more Mistborn books?” The answer is “Probably.” However, know a few things.

First off, the next series—if I do it—will not include Vin or Elend. They’re dead. That’s just the way it is. Sorry.

Annotation Mistborn 3 Series Wrap-Up

If Iyatil is a character we know, it could be the Terriswoman worldhopper, or Khriss (I'm assuming Khriss is a girl, I do not have a copy of said book, I just think the way the name is spelt feels like the tendency to 'girlify' names by spelling them weirdly). I don't believe we know of any other female worldhoppers, and those are the most likely candidates to my mind.