[OB] Kaladin Worldsinger

Philomath

So this is just a silly idea I have mulled over in my head. It starts with this. Hoid doesn't seem to do anything without a good reason. So why give Kaladin his flute? Kaladin didn't seem to care much when he first received it, but he did always seem to respond well to Hoid's stories. They seem to have had a big impact on his journey so far. I know the flute was left in Sadeas's war camp, but it is possible (albeit a small possibility) that it made its way to Urithiru. So there is another small possibility (albeit an even smaller possibility) that it somehow comes back into Kaladin's possession. Kaladin is obviously struggling with his life-long battle of to kill vs not to kill in order to protect. I also think his 4th oath might be something along the lines of accepting that not everyone needs or wants his protection. So I guess this idea is that maybe he will learn some more things about worldsinging from Sigzil. And that maybe he will use the flute and storytelling to help inspire and lead others to protect and care for one another. I don't think this is very likely to happen. Just something I think would be an interesting possibility. I do think Kaladin and his spear are awesome but I also love Hoid-like stories and could always go for more of those. 

5 hours ago, Philomath said:

I also think his 4th oath might be something along the lines of accepting that not everyone needs or wants his protection.

I was thinking the same thing! But more I really think the last oaths of Kaladins are going to be something about leading. Because 2&3 were about protection. Likely his oath is accepting that as a leader that some people die and can't be saved. 

I'd be sad if the flute didn't show up again. 

There's a WoB that Sadeas had the flute after Kaladin left, so there's actually a pretty good chance it made it's way to Urithiru. The same WoB also says that Hoid wants it back, so there's a good chance that the flute will show up again, even if Kaladin doesn't end up using it

Edited by Storms!

17 hours ago, Mraize said:

I was thinking the same thing! But more I really think the last oaths of Kaladins are going to be something about leading. Because 2&3 were about protection. Likely his oath is accepting that as a leader that some people die and can't be saved. 

I'd be sad if the flute didn't show up again. 

I would be fine with the 4th oath being something like that. And I just feel like that flute has to come back. Even if not in this theory. It was too big of a little thing to just go away. Ha ha. 

2 minutes ago, Philomath said:

I would be fine with the 4th oath being something like that. And I just feel like that flute has to come back. Even if not in this theory. It was too big of a little thing to just go away. Ha ha. 

It has been at least mentioned in all of the SA books. So I do agree with you.

I think this WOB strongly hints at the answer (Kaladin needs a hobby)

Questioner [PENDING REVIEW]

So, Kaladin met Hoid a long long time ago, and Hoid gave him a very important flute that he has not learned how to play. Is he ever going to put the time in to get good at that? Or is that just something we're going to have to wait for?

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

You'll have to wait for. Kaladin has a lot of things on his mind. He sure could use something to keep him from stressing out, but you're just gonna have to wait and see if Kaladin understands the reason he was given a flute, or not.

source

1 hour ago, Subvisual Haze said:

I think this WOB strongly hints at the answer (Kaladin needs a hobby)

Questioner [PENDING REVIEW]

So, Kaladin met Hoid a long long time ago, and Hoid gave him a very important flute that he has not learned how to play. Is he ever going to put the time in to get good at that? Or is that just something we're going to have to wait for?

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

You'll have to wait for. Kaladin has a lot of things on his mind. He sure could use something to keep him from stressing out, but you're just gonna have to wait and see if Kaladin understands the reason he was given a flute, or not.

source

Thanks. I hadn't seen that before. Now I'm looking forward to finding out. 

On 4/9/2018 at 7:17 PM, Philomath said:

Maybe the Fourth Ideal is about the flute! LOL.

"[he Fourth Ideal] is going to be a hard one, isn't it?... I will... I will learn... To play... Arggh, I just don't have the time!"

7 hours ago, robardin said:

"[he Fourth Ideal] is going to be a hard one, isn't it?... I will... I will learn... To play... Arggh, I just don't have the time!"

The 4th Ideal helps Windrunners get a hobby and deal with their immense amount of stress^_^

7 hours ago, robardin said:

1 minute ago, Wyndlerunner said:

The 4th Ideal helps Windrunners get a hobby and deal with their immense amount of stress^_^

Yes. To protect themselves from emotional and mental breakdowns which also helps them be better leaders. It is perfect. 

Maybe Kaladin will finally embrace Lirin's words that he does not need to kill to protect. He puts down the spear and takes up the flute, becoming a symbol for peaceful nonviolence. I personally would love to see him move in this direction.

And if he can't find Hoid's flute, perhaps Syl can take the shape of one. 

2 hours ago, Starla said:

Maybe Kaladin will finally embrace Lirin's words that he does not need to kill to protect. He puts down the spear and takes up the flute, becoming a symbol for peaceful nonviolence. I personally would love to see him move in this direction.

A Shardflute? LOL

I can just see Syl doing a Lauren Bacall impression on Kaladin... "Just put your lips together and blow"

Given that Syl seems to have something of a dirty mind, I can only imagine that she would find ways to tease him mercilessly if he ever tried making her a Shardflute. Of course, Syl is going to mercilessly tease Kaladin about something no matter the circumstances but that in particular just seems to be asking for it.

And now that we've established that the Fourth Ideal involves magical flutes, I think we can figure out the fifth and final Ideal of the Windrunners: Right-A-Down-Right-A-Down. xD

6 hours ago, Starla said:

It is such an interesting possibility to me. I will admit that I would probably miss Kaladin rocking it with his spear. But it would be great to see him find a way to be true to protecting while not fearing that he will have to hurt people he cares about. 

Edited to say: Thanks for this  whole conversation on this thread. It has definitely provided some laughs. 

Edited by Philomath

• Chaos locked this topic