Rysn Interlude

gofunkiertti

So what did we learn during the Rysn interlude?

Axies the Collector is there and is getting tortured.

There are greatshell's that are really really big. If the Greatshell=potential voidbringer theory holds true then that would be very very bad.

Grass is still boring.

The Greatshells attract people who are bold (and naked and violent). Is it the culture or the Greatshells themselves?

She saw an eye. The god’s eye. Only a glimpse as she passed; it was as large as a house, glassy and black, and it reflected her falling form.

Just descriptive writing or is this important?

Also she gets something called a Larkin by the Island

“The thing we trade for, a treasure that very few know still exists. They were supposed to have died with Aimia, you see. I came here with all of these goods in tow because Talik sent to me to say they had the corpse of one to trade. Kings pay fortunes for them.”

As she drank, the small creature flew up toward the rafters of the hut and perched there, looking down at her with eyes of solid silver.

So Aimans is the race Axies belongs to. Are they mentioned anywhere else?

Is Axies connected to the greatshells somehow? Is he just here on the island for spren or because something related to his race exists on the island. Why is the creature important enough to get a chapter about it?

Edited by gofunkiertti

A few things of note:

• Axies is not being tortured - not intentionally at least, and he doesn't seem to be in any sort of great pain. They've captured and restrained him, but there is no explicit mention of torture.
  • The reason he is on the Reshi Islands is probably the same reason he was visiting Cusicesh the Protector - he wants to catalog as many spren as is possible. As to the importance of his presence there, the island greatshells, and the larkin - who knows? Some of them might be in the book just to show off the world (which is part of the reason Brandon has those interludes). I suspect the larkin will play a bigger role sometime down the line, but that's just a suspicion for now.
  • The Aimians were mentioned a couple of times throughout the books, but we still know close to nothing about them. If I recall correctly, there were two different kinds of Aimians - one of which was recently exterminated, and the other has very few members left.
  • At this point I don't think it's productive for us to look for Voidbringers outside the Parshendi / parshmen / listeners culture. The evidence that their species is, or can turn into, the Voidbringers is overwhelming enough.
  •  

I have to go and re-read that interlude. I remember also thinking that there was something VERY important about that interlude. Well, most of them to be honest LOL. But particularly with the Larkin. Can't remember if there was any inkling of all about Rysn potentially being a surgebinder or not. I don't think there was, but I do think she'll be one eventually.

What I took from this passage is that the Larkin is similar to the Ryshadium in that it chooses who it aligns itself with. 

And, this may be a VERY long stretch assumption here on my part, but if she does become a KR, I think she'll end up in the Willshapers order. Why?

1. The Larkin has silver eyes, and Willshapers essence is metal.

2. She's a trader...good negotiating skills/shaper of wills :)

3. This is the really long stretch...I think each of our KR will have a special bond/relationship with their opposites on the current order chart that we have. i.e. Willshapers/Dustbringers, Windrunners/Lightweavers etc. I know this doesn't seem plausible at the moment because of the spren relationships that we know of to date (Syl/Pattern) but, I think they'll get over that in future books in some way...maybe help from a bondsmith? If you look at the Divine attributes, this kind of makes sense because I see overlap in most of them. Let's take WIndrunners and Lightweavers as an example. All four attributes for those two orders are: Protecting/Leading/Creative/Honest. I see overlapping attributes as honest and leading and individual attributes as protecting (Kal) and creative (Shallan) which just happen to be their unique strengths. If we take Rysn specifically and assume she will be a willshaper, that would mean the four attributes would be Resolute/Builder/Brave/Obedient. I see all of these attributes in Rysn, so not sure which ones yet would be shared, and which would be individual at this point, but we shall see as soon as we meet our first Dustbringer :)

I'm pretty sure Axies was there specifically to investigate the greatshell spren.

"Well," the creature said," don't ask about the soul of their god. They don't like to speak of that, it turns out. Must be spectacular, to let the beasts grow this large. Beyond even the spren who inhabit the bodies of ordinary greatshells. Hmmm..." He seemed very pleased by something.

Seems he wanted to find out if this was a different kind of spren, or just a really strong version, asked some questions that didn't sit well with the king, and got strung up.

I learned that if those interludes are leading up to the next batch of characters in the second half of the story, I'll love it just as much as I'm loving the current cast. Rysn was really fun to read, she was the perfect balance of "What in the world was that" and "I'm rolling with it. Axies just sort of chilling there was hilarious too.

As far as world building goes, my one hope is that those turtles end up fighting a giant monster at one point. I don't care how, I don't care why. It's just that the mental image would make me smile like a little kid.

But on a more serious note, I'm interested to know what kind of spren Axies was studying. 

She stopped at a paperweight on the women’s writing desk beside the king’s chair, poking at the block of crystal with a strange kind of crab-thing trapped inside. Were those wings? 

Sanderson, Brandon (2014-03-04). Words of Radiance (Stormlight Archive, The) (p. 95). Tom Doherty Associates. Kindle Edition. 

Rysn's Larkin:

Something crawled there, about as big as the palm of her hand— a creature that looked like a cremling, but with wings that folded along the back.

Sanderson, Brandon (2014-03-04). Words of Radiance (Stormlight Archive, The) (p. 196). Tom Doherty Associates. Kindle Edition. 

Not 100% stated, but seems like the same thing, especially when you consider that kings pay fortunes for the dead ones. 

I learned that if those interludes are leading up to the next batch of characters in the second half of the story, 

Not necessarily. Lift is confirmed individually, but we don't know that the others will show up as well. Some most likely will, but we don't know that.

Well, the creature that Rysn got is the same thing that sucked the stormlight out of Lift, right?  They're both described as looking like a cremling with wings.

Oooooh, I hadn't made that connection! Good one!

Elhokar has a dead larkin? I missed that. Where is it in the text?

Me too!!

There are two types of Aimians as Argent mentioned- Siah and Dysian.  Both are rare since the scouring of Aimia but the Dysian Amians are rarer.  Axies is a Siah Aimian.

Also, Argent, get strung up upside down for even just an hour and tell me it's not torture.  If you get hung that way for too long it will kill you most unpleasantly.  Now, insofar as you mean they are not trying to get something from him like information, I agree.  Seems like it is just a punishment.

I didn't say it wasn't painful - though Axies himself didn't seem terribly concerned. The Reshi people seemed to react to him in a way similar to how they would react to a dangerous beast, methinks - you catch a bear with a trap, you'd probably just wait for it to die, not go poke it with a stick in the ribs.

It reminds me of Sigzil talking about criminals getting tied to cliffs for greatshells to eat.

Apparently Aimians have some poorly-understood capacity to alter their own bodies, so the Reshi think he can escape at any time. This may or may not be true and may or may not apply to Siah Aimians.

@Nero Vance...I think it was the spren of the "islands". BUT that being said, in TWoK, he was searching for captivity spren, which in a nice twist of fate Kaladin sees in WoR ;) 

Since he was captured on the island, maybe he was still looking for those too...

• Chaos locked this topic