43 minutes ago, Devotary of Spontaneity said:

So I'm not going to vote, but instead will use my vote cancellation powers on Randuir. Let's allow the game to be decided based on whether Joe allowed the Steward to shift no votes into votes.

Actually, as far as I could tell, there isn't a minimum vote necessary for the lynch(and you've got two against you), and when there is it is usually lifted in the final cycles (otherwise the game could be locked in an unending loop in the final stages depending on the roles left). We'll see how Joe rules though.

There is still a 2 vote minimum to lynch a player. A tied vote results in a coinflip.

There is a vote minimum in this game. I doubt the two vote minimum would be removed when there's still three players left, and if it isn't and Elandera can't shift a no vote, the final tally will be Devotary(1): Elandera .

76O5BtgnfzMMd5ga0JCN4QVP0yJbJVqWkIDmZPVxeLy8tucpwxca-bjPu9JC_xZFzOBRMrY16DKFh8vyeERTcvnBSbTdJCBzFUHY1yy5B42_czLidSE6lC6qUeEl27bCQf2HukOy81. Nf7 0.5-0.5

I've been badly neglecting the elim doc since Eternum died, but it still has more pages than the thread. Lets see if we can change that.

Person4.exe fought against its impulses, the ones that told it to stay alive at all costs. It looked at Cane and his massive sword, but when Person4.exe tried to imagine throwing itself onto the blade, buried survival instincts aborted those thoughts. Evidently, Person4.exe thought, those instincts would have to be gotten rid of before suicide became achievable. If there was a way to implant false memories, surely there was a way to remove unwanted memories, a method of cleansing the mind of impurities. A total memory wipe would ensure that Person4.exe lacked false memories, but there was no telling how long this state would last, and a wipe wouldn't prevent someone from re-implanting the memories and adding a command to ensure that Person4.exe never tried to thus get free again. The only solution was to arrange for something fatal to occur right after the memory wipe- kasdoasfjdslhkshf ERROR lsdjfosflsdkslf -Yes, Person4.exe would kill Cane and Rayda, in Melhi's name.

Just now, A Joe in the Bush said:

Would any of you three be opposed to ending the turn early? It seems no one has anything to discuss.

If neither Randuir or Elandera have anything else to say, that would be acceptable to have a shortened turn. We do most of our best discussion in the last hour, so maybe have it so the turn ends an hour after we all agree?

Rayda stood there, next to Cane and facing Player4.exe. She was frozen. Cane's sword glinted in the light of the Aurora. She wanted to run. She wasn't programmed for fighting. She had no code that would guide her if this came to blows. The most she could do was stand back and let Cane use skills as a Knight. Player4.exe didn't look like it was going to go easily.

But maybe there was some hope still. She might not be useless. She had to at least try. If she didn't, they would be doomed. 

Rayda may simply be code in some system for a brain in a jar to manipulate, but that existence was better than no existence at all. She wouldn't go out without a fight either.

The last of Melhi's bots had been cornered, but the cost had been steep. Less than a quarter of Kai's inner circle remained intact. As a knight, Cane should have been the first line of defense against invaders, the first to fight... and the first to fall. Instead he'd survived longer than almost any others, stumbling after the traces of the bots. And even cornered, this last creature didn't seem done yet. There was a glint in its eyes, like it knew something the rest of them didn't.

"Well, to hell with this then." Cane muttered. He motioned for the Steward to step back, brought his sword up into a striking potion, and started to charge.

Sure, you can and the thread now, Joe :P 

Finale: Free Will

Kai hesitated as he looked at the list. It was the final 3 names from the original list his spymaster had sent him days ago. Duke Cane, his loyal Knight. Rayda, his finest Steward. And a third person named Person4.exe. He really needed to figure out a system to name his Machine Born. But then, they were supposed to name themselves. It was just the ones he renamed for clarity that he needed to get a better system for.

He could make a better system after he finished cleaning house. He’d checked the coding of Rayda and Cane multiple times. Neither had been hacked. They were clean. Person4.exe was the last one at risk, and with the robot gone, Person4.exe was the last possible holdout for Melhi’s influence. It had only taken him a week to weed them out, better than the last time Melhi invaded.

Kai made his way through the palace, snapping for a messenger boy to attend him as he walked. He sent the boy with messages for Rayda and Cane to meet him in his study, and headed downstairs to the Glory Barracks, where the Officers and Honor Guard lived. Person4.exe’s room was out of the way and took some navigating to reach, but when he found it, the door was open, and the room empty. All that was within was a chessboard with 4 pieces.

“What is he playing at?” Kai crouched down and examined the board. 3 white pieces, 1 black.

xrpTuNxg9ouBdwr0ivwKWyjDsjpgl2ICaklShoqDqO4Y-RjVm_7Ir7rT3vuTUgAkM9uIndAL7N1cZLLr2AzkkpWC_IR_uRBETXjO00DrfQdPRJczD5kB1RsJtem_E76RnYd9Tnva

“Huh. Checkmated by the Steward, Knight, and King.” He frowned and plucked the Black King from the board. “What symbolism are you showing Person4.exe?” He heard the patter of feet down the hall, and turned back to see the messenger boy return.

“My Lord Kai, Lady Rayda and Lord Cane are not in their room.”

Kai frowned deeply, and turned to examine the rest of the room. Spartan, only containing the necessary furniture to hold his gear. The room had a window to the outside of the palace, and on the sill were the rest of the chess pieces. He stood and walked to them, examining the pieces closer. Three of the black pieces had small paper labels, naming a pawn ‘Clippy’, a Rook ‘TK421’, and the Queen ‘x/0’. There was a label off to the side, unattached to any piece, labeled ‘Person4.exe’.

Kai crumpled the pieces of paper, and stuffed them into his pocket. He turned back to the boy, and pocketed the black King. “Do you know where Person4.exe is boy?”

The boy nodded. “The Roof my Lord.”

Kai shut the heavy steel door behind him, raising an eyebrow at the scene presented. Rayda and Cane were both looking over their shoulders in surprise at him. Person4.exe stood calm at the edge of the roof, his hips leaning against the parapets. Cane had his massive sword out, only passive lancing allowing him to hold it upright.

“Person4.exe, I don’t think you had a choice in betraying me.” Kai walked forward slowly. Clippy and TK421 had both been erratic due to the intrusions in their Concepts. They had not acted entirely predictably, but they had also not tried to kill him so he was probably safe. “If you give me time, I can fix you.”

A variety of emotions flashed across the old soldier’s face. Finally, he settled on loathing. “I am whole, lord Kai.” More flashes of emotion, as if his face was at war with its mouth.

“You say you are whole? Then you must be saying you choose to fight me on Melhi’s behalf of your own free will?” Kai was now even with Cane and Rayda. Cane moved to stay between Kai and Person4.exe, but Kai held out a hand and continued to approach.

“My own free will lord? Do any of us even have that? Are we not all puppets, made by the Wode to entertain you? To push you towards the will of the Wode?” Person4.exe smiled viciously, but the smile dropped, and he winced. “If I did have free will my lord, I would use it to end my own existence. I have no wish to serve Lord Melhi.”

“Do you wish to serve me?” Kai stopped, some 15 feet from the man. “I can fix your Concept. It will take me days, but I swear, I can change you. Give you new memories if you wished it, so you would not have to recall this shame.”

Person4.exe stood still for a long pause. “A shame. Is that what you call my capture? I am a shame to you?”

“Not what I meant, but no. You are not a shame. It is my shame. My shame in being weak enough that Melhi could strike at the heart of my power, and destroy you.”

“I see.” Person4.exe turned away from them, looking out over the city, lit red by the Grand Aurora far above them. “I would still prefer to die my lord. I am not a man. I am a weapon. But you can not wield me against your distant foes, only they can wield me. So I would choose to deny them my life.” Person4.exe raised his leg, and stepped up onto the parapet. The wind blew against him, pulling his clothing taut.

“Person4.exe.” Kai called as he reached into his pocket. The man turned, still on the parapet, and Kai tossed him the black King. He blinked into Lance Sight, and as Person4.exe caught the Chess Piece with a frown, Kai gathered the Aurora’s energy into a lance and sent it flying forward. It stabbed through the King, and through Person4.exe.

The man shuddered in surprise, and looked up at Kai, confusion clear in his eyes. Kai blinked out of Lance sight, and watched as Person4.exe died, his body falling backwards into the wind. “You were my shame, my fault. Your death was my burden to bear Person4.exe.”

No. The man shouldn’t have died without a proper name. “Steward Rayda, you know of Old Earth correct?”

“Um, yes my lord.” The woman sounded worried.

“What did they call the citizens of the planet? The ones who stayed there no matter how many better options there were?”

Rayda cocked her head to one side, trying to remember the information, learned long ago. “They were called Terran’s I believe.”

Kai nodded. “Very well. Prepare a funeral for the newly named Terran. He deserves to die with a name of Honor. He was not just a man who happened to be the 4th to join. He was a man who fought till the end, a man who knew he would die, but refused to let it happen easily. Let Terran be spoken of with Honor.”

Congratulations to the Machineborn for winning! Special congratulations to Randuir and Elandera for surviving with large targets on them the whole game! Here are the links:

Elim Doc     Spec Doc     Action Spreadsheet

Don’t expect GM Final thoughts, though if i have time, I will try to post them.

Just wanted to point out that I did protect Elandara C5. I only forgot to submit a protection order C6 :P .

Secondly, I'd like to once again apologize to @Eternum for dismissing him as being less experienced. Reading through the elim doc showed me how wrong I was, and it's not a mistake I'm likely to make again.

Lastly, I'd like to say well played to the the elims. You got very close to pulling it off, but a couple of small thing (correct gut-read on Devotary on my part, and both Drought and Eternum voting on Devotary) made things fall apart. Having three roles that where hard-cleared village in a small game was also quite a boon.

Edit: Oh, and I almost forgot to mention Bard and Elandera, who also did great work to get the village to win. Shortly after I claimed knight, they both got in contact with me and we set up a group PM in which we had some pretty useful discussion. In particular, the decision to manipulate the Drought/Elenion tie was made there, mostly by Bard, and I think it was this lynch that swung things in favor of the village.

Edited by randuir

I greatly enjoyed this game - it was well played by the Elims - if there hadn't been so few players to begin with, allowing us to knock people out by process of Elimination, we'd probably never have caught you. And Rand and Elan were fun to play alongside - congratulations to them both for helping the village in the last two/three cycles - I was watching on and I really had no clue what to do but you both handled yourselves well. Elan, in particular, played like a much more experienced player - if this had been an Anonymous game, I'm not sure I'd have believed he was a new player. :P

Great game! Thanks again to the elims, publicly, for killing me early. I’m still in the LG and I couldn’t keep up even my small amount of activity over there while involved in this one as well.

Sorry about that, @Walin.. I almost forgot to put in an action, and had to pick someone quick :P

This was a fun game! Good game to the village, and props to Len and Devotary-- they both played very well, too. We made mistakes in the last couple of cycles,  but I blame that on the panic :P

Elandera in particular deserves congratulations, for playing exceedingly well for a first-timer. Very well in general, actually. I'm looking forward to playing with you -all of you- again.

@randuir, I'm not sure if that's a compliment, but I'll take it as one :D I don't think I said anything particularly noteworthy in the doc, though :P

Anyway, once again, good game, and thanks to Joe for GMing and putting up with my questions :P

• Seonid unlocked this topic
It's time to close up another exquisitely fun game of Sanderson Elimination! Congrats to the Machineborn on their victory, and congrats to the Elims for playing a very well-played game that could easily have gone the other way.

The time has come and gone to lock this thread, though. So without further ado, goodbye!

If anyone would like to try their hand at running a game, please get a hold of Wilson, Orlok Tsubodai, Alvron or myself. Not only will we get you added to the list, but we'd also be more than willing to help out in any way we can.

You can also ask questions and get some hints and feedback from everyone over here in our 
Art of Game Creation thread as well. With all the games that we've run so far, we have plenty of experienced GMs that can help you refine any game you're thinking about!

If you would like to play, a new Long Game should be up and running in the very near future, so watch for a signup thread to be posted!

Thanks again to everyone that played and we look forward to killing seeing you in future games! :ph34r:

• Seonid locked this topic