"A Blind Man Awaited the Era of Endings"

rhaiynebow

Odium and Hoid were once friends, so there's that. 

I can't imagine this being true.  "The Letter" depicts Odium's bearer, Rayse, as "loathsome."  The indication is they are definitely not friends.

As for this thread itself: since Secret History, I imagine Hoid thinks himself spiritually blind because he is, compared to a shard.  Pair this with stuff Brandon has said over the years about Hoid having an ability to know where to be.  I imagine this means that he feels like he's travelling blind -- going to important points in time and space, but not really sure what's going to be waiting for him.

I suspect this has to do with more than Roshar.  I suspect that the two blind men are Hoid and Frost, and the end of an era represents the shattering of Adonalsium.  They are both blind to the path that should be taken going forwards, and were contemplating the beauty of Adonalsium and his plans or lack thereof.  I think the cliff in this case may actually be metaphorical, where a choice they made led to the shattering.  As the Second Letter says of Rayse, "He is what we made him to be (emphasis mine)",  This implies that Frost and Hoid played an active role in the shattering, certainly a "cliff" in the history of the Cosmere.

That would imply one knew the beauty of Adonalsium's designs once but had lost sight of it, while the other simply never knew until that moment, no? I like it.

Though they see Odium and all the other consequences and perhaps get an "It was at this moment that Hoid and Frost knew: they [stormed] up" realization. Would be amusing.

Edited by natc

• 2 months later...
7 minutes ago, WayneSpren said:

Do you mean because the of the 'emotion' spren?

Yeah, and there's one special one that's glowing and trying to cancel out the other ones (voidspren) but in the end it turns out that they all serve a purpose (he's broken so he can be invested in).

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/14/2016 at 6:55 PM, The Point Man said:

At this point,I've given up on thinking about it.I've reached one conclusion:Hoid gives me a huge head-ache.

Yeah, being deliberately mysterious and obtuse is one of his hobbies.  He gets a huge kick out of it.

I think there is more to his little story than first meets the eye.  Hoid does seem to have a feel for when things are important and when they aren't.

• 3 months later...

A bit necro, but I don't mind it since this is an interesting thread, and I have something to contribute.

What if all of these things people have pointed out aren't about the past, but the future. We know the ending to the (back?) 5 is hidden in the first two books. This contemplation of the ending of an era could be it. The era of endings: rip people, Oathpact, maybe a Shard or two, and the restriction on Surgebinding. Ending of an era: Odium may be freed after all this. Who knows but Brandon. Lots of stuff could change. It is the end of an era, obviously. I like this idea.

Maybe he is speaking of Dalinar and Kaladrin in that passage. They are on "the highest cliff" of the world at that time and beauty could be a interpretation of the answer Hoid is hoping they find to save the world. Dalinar imho would be the blind man for being "blinded" of the memories of his love/wife which obviously makes Kaladrin the other.

Just my 2 cents though so take it for what its worth.... 

• Chaos locked this topic