Correct me if I'm wrong, but, don't we know all the names of the Heralds?

Lightflame

Are there any theories on the Vorin insistence on palindromes? I'm relatively new here, so I don't know if that's something that people have discussed, or if it is just assumed to be a religious quirk. 

Vorinism is coo-coo for symmetry. They consider it divine. Palindromes are symmetrical to the extreme. If you're asking why they're so hung up on symmetry, I'm not sure. Culture is like that. There does seem to be a lot of 'divine' symmetry when you look at things like the Radiant glyphs and the Dawncities, though. There might be inspiration to be found there.

Edited by Moogle

True.  I guess you can't put much stock into people's reactions when Hoid is around.

I do find Chan-a-rach to be a bizarre deviation from the rest of the Herald names.  I briefly just toyed in my head with the idea that the Heralds (as they're likely not native to Roshar), are each from a different Shardworld initially, and maybe we could figure it out based on their "real" names.  But that doesn't really make that much sense, so it's probably best to just take it at face value :)

EDIT:

Vorinism is coo-coo for symmetry. They consider it divine. Palindromes are symmetrical to the extreme. If you're asking why they're so hung up on symmetry, I'm not sure. Culture is like that. There does seem to be a lot of 'divine' symmetry when you look at things like the Radiant glyphs and the Dawncities, though. There might be inspiration to be found there.

My apologies, my post wasn't very clear. Gotta work on that.  I was wondering more as to why Vorinism was so coo coo for symmetry in general, using the Herald names as an example.  It's clearly very important, and I wondered if there were theories about a stronger meaning behind it, or just one of those things that a religion latches on to as being important.  

Edited by Ryshadium

Vorinism is coo-coo for symmetry. They consider it divine. Palindromes are symmetrical to the extreme. If you're asking why they're so hung up on symmetry, I haven't the faintest. Culture is like that.

Actually all Rosharans are big on symmetry. In fact, their thing probably predates Vorinism; just look at the Silver Kingdoms. Which isn't all that surprising actually. There is a lot of symmetry in the Roshar geography, Dawncities and such. Roshar--the supercontinent--itself is more or less symmetrical. It's not surprising they would assign some divinity to symmetry, and from there it's a short step to palindromes being holy.

I just finished re-reading Lift's interlude and I noticed this

“Praise Yaezir,” he said. “Herald of Kings. May he lead in wisdom. If he ever stops drooling.” (WoR p. 706)

also

Praise to Yaezir, Kadasix of Kings, may he lead in wisdom. (WoR p. 706)

Could Yaezir be the Azish name for Jezrien?

I always thought as Taln as a nickname or abbreviation for Talenel, given that his how he introduces himself.

Even better, we have confirmation from Kalak's PoV, who uses both names for him. So if we see any more Herald introductions like Talenel's, we can be pretty sure it's the real names, and that the language magic isn't localizing them.

“Talenel,” Kalak said. His was the only Blade unaccounted for.

“And Taln?” Kalak asked. The flesh burning. The fires. The pain over and over and over…

That doesn't track. All Vorin names of the Heralds are symmetrical (the letter h is kinda like a wildcard; Jezerezeh or Pailiah). There is no reason for Chan-a-rach to break the pattern that the other nine Heralds form. I am pretty confident Chanaranach is the Vorin name.

In most languages, "ch" is a single phonetic sound and so should be considered a single letter.  There is another example in WoR that I am forgetting right now that was a perfect palindrome except for "th", which made it clear that Brandon is thinking of these palindromes phonetically.

This means the only problem with Chan-a-rach is the relationship between the "n" and the "r". Both are sonorants, with the primary difference being that "n" is nasal, while "r" is not.  Hence the pairing looks to be similar to a forced rhyme.

Yeah, that's the general consensus. It's possible that there is something cultural going on, and the Azish are using it differently, but I've seen no reason to assume Yaezir is not Jezrien.

It could also be dialectic drift. Yaezir sounds alot like the first syllable of Jezrien if you pronounce the 'J' as 'Y'. Jezr -> Yezr -> Yaezir

It works even better with his Vorin name of Jezerezeh. In fact, it might even illuminate something about Azish culture in that they don't use the palindromic version of the name.

It would also be interesting to know why they call the Heralds kadasix.

Edited by sailense

It could also be dialectic drift. Yaezir sounds alot like the first syllable of Jezrien if you pronounce the 'J' as 'Y'. Jezr -> Yezr -> Yaezir

It's how you are supposed to pronounce it. Jasnah sounds like Yasnah, Jah Kaved is Yah Kaved, and so on. At least in Alethkar and Jah Kaved.

Heh, true that.

But I'll remain a tiny bit skeptical, just because we hear the name from a person who is not a Herald. There is a very good chance the Shin have preserved the knowledge of the Heralds much better than the Alethi, but still...

Well at least one of the Herald's true names survive into modern times. Sigzil tells of Jezrien during a story to Bridge 4 in tWoK, and says that the Vorrin call him Jezerezeh. Therefore at least some people know some of the real names of the Heralds. Maybe Nale is one of those names? Who knows. Answer: Brandon.

Given that scholars have been writing books that mention the Heralds for a long time (one such book is Words of Radiance, author unknown; also, I'll bet Nohadon mentions them by name a few times in the Way of Kings), one would think that what the Heralds called themselves was already common knowledge among the well-educated.

I don't think the Vorin ardents are suppressing that information. Even in Earth religions, a person gaining a religious name does not necessarily render his previous name taboo. Most of the time you just have to know when to use one and when to use the other. So I won't be surprised if the ardents themselves use the Heralds' "real names" in discussions of history among scholars, and their "holy names" in discussions of theology or spirituality.

Edited by skaa

All ten Heralds have been mentioned at some point by their real names, which are as follows:

Jezrien              Jezerezeh

Nale                  Nalan

Chana               Chanaranach

Vedel                 Vedeledev

Pali                    ???

Ash                    Shalash

Battar                Batab

Kalak                 Kelek

Talenel              Talenelat

Ishar                  Ishi

The only one we don't know is Pali's Vorin name.

I'm interested in the characteristic associated with each Herald. I've made an best estimate list.

Jezrien Jezerezeh - King of Heralds, Herald of Protection

Nale Nalan - Herald of Justice

Chana Chanaranach - Herald of Courage

Vedel Vedeledev - Herald of Healing

Pali ??? - Herald of Knowledge

Ash Shalash - Herald of Beauty

Battar Batab - Herald of Wisdom

Kalak Kelek - Herald of Building

Talenel Talenelat - Herald of War

Ishar Ishi - Herald of Luck

feel free to propose better fitting epithets.

Edited by grinachu

• Chaos locked this topic