Correct me if I'm wrong, but, don't we know all the names of the Heralds?

Lightflame

According to the Coppermind, the name of the last female Herald, the one associated with Chach, and with the Dustbringers/Releasers, is unknown. However, I know for a fact that it was revealed in Words of Radiance. Is this a case of me needing to edit the Coppermind, or did everyone else actually miss this? It was revealed in Hoid's "Fleet" story.

"In time long past, in times I've known, he raced the Herald Chan-a-rach. He won that race, as he did each one, but now the time for defeat had come."

- Words of Radiance, Chapter 59, Page 729

This quite clearly confirms Chan-a-rach to be the Chach Herald's name.

I'm not sure if this deserved it's own topic, so I'll just throw in a random bit of speculation. Since all the Heralds seem to be acting reverse-honourably, could Elhokar's wife Aesudan be a Herald? (Probably not, but maybe.)

I was under the impression that we know only a few of the Heralds' real names. In fact, just a couple of hours ago I was going to create a new topic to see which ones we are confident about - because I can only think of about half of them: Jezrien, Ishar, Taln, and Kalak from The Way of Kings prelude; Shalash might be just Ash (I don't believe any of the Heralds had a palindromic name originally), but that's about it. 

I was under the impression that we know only a few of the Heralds' real names. In fact, just a couple of hours ago I was going to create a new topic to see which ones we are confident about - because I can only think of about half of them: Jezrien, Ishar, Taln, and Kalak from The Way of Kings prelude; Shalash might be just Ash (I don't believe any of the Heralds had a palindromic name originally), but that's about it. 

I was under this impression as well - I don't know where to put Nalan in this, because he calls himself Nin to Szeth. I don't know how accurate the Shin names are for the Heralds, but probably more accurate than the Vorin names, seeing as the Shin have had the Honorblades for quite some time. 

I assume so.

This thread makes me think of the various oaths used including the Heralds, I wonder if they have any more significant meaning, or if it is just a world building exercise.

By oaths, I mean things like:

"Nalan's hand"

"By Vedeledev's golden keys" 

Most likely nothing. 

My apologies for the badly formatted table, this is copy-pasted out of my personal Knights Radiant table.

Chan-a-rach is an odd one - there are references in WoR to Chana, Chanaranach and the epigraph above of Chan-a-rach. I've put Chana down as the original name for the time being.

EDIT The table turned out horriblly, so here we go.

Herald    Vorrin Name    

Jezrien    Jezerezeh

Nale        Nalan

Chana    Chanaranach

Vedel      Vedeledev  

Pailiah

Ash         Shalash

Battar     Battah

Kalak      Kelek

Talenel   Talenelat

Ishar       Ishi

Edited by FireArcadia

I've thought about that. There has to be some kernel in truth in at least some of them - it's how lore is created - but I would definitely not take them literally. "Nalan's hand" could, for example, refer to the fact that Nalan is the Herald of Justice (and Retribution?), and so followers of Vorinism might start using the phrase to denote a context of law and justice. They wouldn't arrive at "the long arm of the law," like we did on Earth, but at "Nalan's hand" instead. For example.

EDIT

@FireArcadia, I am not sure about a couple of those. Taln introduces himself as Talenel'Elin, but I think that's maybe an early version of his Vorin name - the 'Elin suffix seems to either mean or denote a Herald; Kalak calls him Taln, so that's what I'll stick to for now. Also, Nalan as Nale?

Edited by Argent

I've thought about that. There has to be some kernel in truth in at least some of them - it's how lore is created - but I would definitely not take them literally. "Nalan's hand" could, for example, refer to the fact that Nalan is the Herald of Justice (and Retribution?), and so followers of Vorinism might start using the phrase to denote a context of law and justice. They wouldn't arrive at "the long arm of the law," like we did on Earth, but at "Nalan's hand" instead. For example.

That's where I am with it too.  I assume at some point Vedel had a set of keys, or something gold, and history turned into something else.  And Nalan's hand definitely sounds like a colloquialism/idiom similar to Hand of Justice etc.

Just thought there might be some worth in accumulating all the Herald references like these throughout the two books.

Taln's Scar is another one.  Not an idiom, obviously, but similar. 

It could still just be part of the language/world building. 

I always thought as Taln as a nickname or abbreviation for Talenel, given that his how he introduces himself. And Nale is mentioned by Szeth as being one of Nin's names "here in the East". I thought that Nin sounded very Shin, (didn't even realise why until I just wrote that, but probably because they rhyme), and perhaps the Shin have their own set of names for the Heralds.

EDIT: East, not west

Edited by FireArcadia

My apologies for the badly formatted table, this is copy-pasted out of my personal Knights Radiant table.

Chan-a-rach is an odd one - there are references in WoR to Chana, Chanaranach and the epigraph above of Chan-a-rach. I've put Chana down as the original name for the time being.

EDIT The table turned out horriblly, so here we go.

Herald    Vorrin Name    

Jezrien    Jezerezeh

Nale        Nalan

Chana    Chanaranach

Vedel      Vedeledev  

Pailiah

Ash         Shalash

Battar     Battah

Kalak      Kelek

Talenel   Talenelat

Ishar       Ishi

Chana is probably just a pet-name for the Vorin name Chanaranach. Navani says Chana twice, and I don't think we've ever seen a Vorin use the real names of the Heralds. OTH, Hoid calls her Chan-a-rach. So however weird the name, I think that's more likely to be the true name.

I assume Chan-a-rach is a Vorin name or close to it. Hoid uses it when speaking to Kaladin, and Kal doesn't seem to flinch at hearing a weird name for one of the Heralds. Also, I guess Chana/Chanarach/Chanaranach was considered to be fairly speedy, what with the racing and all. 

Chana is probably just a pet-name for the Vorin name Chanaranach. Navani says Chana twice, and I don't think we've ever seen a Vorin use the real names of the Heralds. OTH, Hoid calls her Chan-a-rach. So however weird the name, I think that's more likely to be the true name.

Good point. That would be a great question for Brandon on tour (I would, but he is gonna take ages to come to London).

I assume Chan-a-rach is a Vorin name or close to it. Hoid uses it when speaking to Kaladin, and Kal doesn't seem to flinch at hearing a weird name for one of the Heralds. Also, I guess Chana/Chanarach/Chanaranach was considered to be fairly speedy, what with the racing and all. 

That doesn't track. All Vorin names of the Heralds are symmetrical (the letter h is kinda like a wildcard; Jezerezeh or Pailiah). There is no reason for Chan-a-rach to break the pattern that the other nine Heralds form. I am pretty confident Chanaranach is the Vorin name.

I actually agree with you based on logic, but I also don't know why Kaladin wouldn't react to hearing a strange name for one of the Heralds.  Or, he was in prison and didn't really think about it or care :)

He kinda reacted to the entire story being weird, seemed to take a lot of strange things in stride because it was Hoid... don't think we can use his reaction as a confirmation that he knew that name.