Creating a Hemalurgic Intelligence

Gasper

Background information: 

Aluminum stores Identity, that is the aspects of your that make you you and what is basically a key to your personal investure in feruchemy.

Copper stores memories and can be used to steal intelligence using hemalurgy. it is also a cognitive metal in feruchemy.

I am working off of the idea that copper stores a cognitive aspect of a persons self, hence the reason they do not remember the data in their copperminds. Sort of like a cognitive aluminum. 

I theorize that if a person were to store all their memories and identity in a set of copper and aluminum minds and then awakened or spiked a complex computer/ investure powered computer, then it would form a Investure powered AI that either matched or was very similar to the person who filled the metal minds. Any other theories on how to create a AI, other than Awakening an object like Nightblood. I want something that is not going to drain the life from my body when I turn it on. maybe some sort of metalmind/fabrial combination?

Assuming the copper/aluminum method works as intended, then could you take a mist wraith and spike them with the hemalurgic metalminds to create a copy of the person who made the minds? That might give you an way to create a body with out any complex mechanics. Think of the various applications of such a system.

I don't think that this would work permanently, mainly because of the memory decay that happens after tapping a coppermind, if you made a unkeyed coppermind, then then gave it to something to tap, so long as they were a blank slate, it would work. But the memories would decay rapidly and then leave them with nothing again.

I do have theory that if you were to compound copper, it would get rid of that decay because you would be using the power of preservation to give you those memories, but that has no textual support.

I think that you would have more difficulty creating that blank slate, and getting it to be able to could tap metal minds.

But if you could create the blank slate, and somehow give it the ability to tap copper and burn it, then I think it would definitely work.

Edited by MacThorstenson

On 4/14/2018 at 11:43 AM, MacThorstenson said:

I don't think that this would work permanently, mainly because of the memory decay that happens after tapping a coppermind, if you made a unkeyed coppermind, then then gave it to something to tap, so long as they were a blank slate, it would work. But the memories would decay rapidly and then leave them with nothing again.

I do have theory that if you were to compound copper, it would get rid of that decay because you would be using the power of preservation to give you those memories, but that has no textual support.

I think that you would have more difficulty creating that blank slate, and getting it to be able to could tap metal minds.

But if you could create the blank slate, and somehow give it the ability to tap copper and burn it, then I think it would definitely work.

The coppermind decay is due to flaws in the human brain and not a natural decay of power.

Slowswift (paraphrased)

If a person with an eidetic memory were to store in a coppermind, would their memories degrade upon tapping?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

True perfect memories are disputed by science, but if one did exist (or a magical one as we have seen already) then no, their memories would not degrade, as it's the brain's own failings that cause degradation, not magic.

source

What is important here is whether an AI can access metalminds or be "spiked". 

Edited by Fatikis

15 minutes ago, ElephantEarwax said:

The spikes affect the soul, so to figure that out we have to enter theology.

I wonder if a nonorganics can tap a metalmind. Could a spren or a cognitive shadow use a blanked metalmind? If a spren can use one an AI should be able to.

8 minutes ago, MountainKing said:

Spren and cognitive shadow have souls.

But does having a soul mean they can tap a metalmind? A cognitive shadow for instance can't use allomancy because they don't have a body. The ability may require an organic body. There could be a WoB confirming if they can or can't, but I have not seen it. 

4 minutes ago, Fatikis said:

But does having a soul mean they can tap a metalmind? A cognitive shadow for instance can't use allomancy because they don't have a body. The ability may require an organic body. There could be a WoB confirming if they can or can't, but I have not seen it. 

To perform allomancy you need to consume the metal to use feruchemy you need to just touch the metalmind

7 minutes ago, MountainKing said:

To perform allomancy you need to consume the metal to use feruchemy you need to just touch the metalmind

Is touching it in the cognitive realm enough? My point is it may require a real physical body in order to tap a metalmind.
The only way we've seen a metalmind tapped is physical contact with the metal.

If cognitive shadows can tap metalminds they in theory could stop themselves from passing beyond by tapping stored power. Gaining immortality-ish. 

I'm not saying that it wouldn't work. I'm saying that we don't know if it would. The answer is *shrug* it might work. 

Edited by Fatikis

4 minutes ago, Fatikis said:

Is touching it in the cognitive realm enough? My point is it may require a real physical body in order to tap a metalmind.
The only way we've seen a metalmind tapped is physical contact with the metal.

If cognitive shadows can tap metalminds they in theory could stop themselves from passing beyond by tapping stored power. Gaining immortality-ish. 

I'm not saying that it wouldn't work. I'm saying that we don't know if it would. The answer is *shrug* it might work. 

If you combine the physical and cognitive aspects by bringing it to the cognitive realm and then the spren should be able to touch it, but maybe a spren only needs to touch the cognitive aspect.

4 hours ago, ElephantEarwax said:
4 hours ago, Fatikis said:

What is important here is whether an AI can access metalminds or be "spiked". 

The spikes affect the soul, so to figure that out we have to enter theology.

A Sentient Robot would have a soul. There's also this one:

VindicationKnight
If a person in the Cosmere built a fully sentient and sapient robot would that robot have a soul? How would it interact with Shardblades?

Brandon Sanderson
Yes. It would interact with Shardblades the same way that Spren do.

VindicationKnight
How does a Shardblade interact with a Spren?

Brandon Sanderson
Shardblades cut on all three realms. I'm not going to say too much here, though I might note that it's possible a robot like you say would act more like nightblood than anything else--depends on what is involved in the creation, and how you determine the difference between a robot and a golem for these purposes.

DrogaKrolow
Sentient machines, artificial intelligence. Would they be able to use Investiture? Or not? How would that work?

Brandon Sanderson
So, define "use Investiture". Like, there's a lot of different ways to quote-unquote use Investiture.

DrogaKrolow
OK, I don't mean the medallions but like if I go and peek into the Spiritual Realm and I look at the machine, do I see Investiture inside it? The Connections to the Shards and so on?

Brandon Sanderson
Chances are good that you will. But I have to add a big asterisk to that, it's gonna depend on so many factors. But consciousness in the cosmere is directly tied to  Investiture. And creating a machine in many ways cosmerelogically is not that different from creating a child.

DrogaKrolow
Okay... Interesting.

Brandon Sanderson
Yes. I'll just leave it there.

I don't entirely know what this means for usage of magic, but I think this means that you might be able to spike a robot. He equates them with Spren against Shardblades, and we know you can spike a Spren...

• Chaos locked this topic