Favorite Books?

Jonathan Stroud's Lockwood & Co. series is good. They're fictional stories about a Victorian era like world where the main characters are ghost hunting kids. There are swordfights. 

Rangers Apprentice by John Flanagan. It's set in a medieval world where archery loving law enforcement travels the kingdom solving problems. There are swordfights. 

Brandon Mull's Beyonders series is amazing. Two teens are transported to a magical realm where they work with a blind guy to overthrow the evil dictator. There are swordfights. 

The hitchhikers guide to the galaxy. The author wrote most of it while he was drunk, so it's pretty random. It's a SciFi about a guy who travels space with his friend after something happens to the Earth. 

Dr Seuss' The Cat in The Hat is about a feline who causes trouble for two kids and a goldfish. Its an epic tale that's reminds all of us about the dangers of anarchy. (and if you like that, there's a book he wrote about Hitler being a turtle that you should read as well) 

Jamie Sawyer's The Lazarus War series is about a military group who uses clones with which they transfer consciousness to in order to fight aliens in space. 

And finally, anything by Garth nix. Confusion of Princes was my favourite by him, it's about a space royal who struggles to come to grips with the dangerous politics of the empire. There are swordfights. 

4 hours ago, Archer said:
4 hours ago, Archer said:

Jonathan Stroud's Lockwood & Co. series is good. They're fictional stories about a Victorian era like world where the main characters are ghost hunting kids. There are swordfights. 

Read that already, and I agree, it's an amazing book series. I've heard of most of the books you mentioned, and have had some recommended to me before, but I never got around to reading them. If you need any good series I recommend The Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer, The Circle Trilogy by Ted Dekker, The Inheritance Cycle by Christopher Paolini, Dawn of Wonder (the first book in an upcoming series) by somedude whos name I can't remember, and the Stormlight Archive's, by some weird dude. Those are probably my favorites(also, who could forget Harry Potter?) .   

The Powdermage trilogy by Brian McClellan, and also his new trilogy Gods of Blood and Powder (book 2 is due out next month; book 3 next year), are excellent. You don't really need to have read the Powdermage ones to read the new books, but it helps. Also, he has published several e-book novellas in that same world that you can get for 99 cents, so you can get a feel for whether you like his writing without spending a lot of coin or time - "Ghosts of the Tristan Basin" might make a good starting point.

You might like the Ex-Heroes book series by Peter Clines - combines superheroes with the zombie apocolypse, with a slight touch of humor. IIRC there are 4 books out so far.

If you haven't read Ready Player One, it's a great book. The story is somewhat different from the movie, and both are highly worthwhile. If you saw the movie, don't feel like the book would be a waste of your time - it's different enough and good enough to be worth reading.

If you're interested in reading something that is truly weird, you might try the Southern Reach trilogy by Jeff Vandermeer. If you saw the movie "Annihilation," the books are almost nothing like it: the movie is more horror, while the books are just ... wierd. I don't like horror, and I did like the books. They aren't very long, but IIRC they take more effort to read than one might expect. (If you do read them, there's a thread here on the forum with spoilers/reactions/theories.)

Happy reading!

Edited by Lump-wing

On 4/5/2018 at 2:43 PM, Archer said:

Rangers Apprentice by John Flanagan. It's set in a medieval world where archery loving law enforcement travels the kingdom solving problems. There are swordfights. 

Brandon Mull's Beyonders series is amazing. Two teens are transported to a magical realm where they work with a blind guy to overthrow the evil dictator. There are swordfights. 

I can confirm that all of these are pretty high-quality series, along with the Lunar Chronicles. One fantasy series I can confidently say is worth your time is Deltora Quest. It's about three people who have to think and fight their way through all sorts of traps and obstacles in order to rebuild the magic bling that can defeat the dark lord.

50 minutes ago, Quickbronze said:

One fantasy series I can confidently say is worth your time is Deltora Quest.

1 hour ago, Lump-wing said:

If you haven't read Ready Player One, it's a great book. The story is somewhat different from the movie, and both are highly worthwhile. If you saw the movie, don't feel like the book would be a waste of your time - it's different enough and good enough to be worth reading.

If you're interested in reading something that is truly weird, you might try the Southern Reach trilogy by Jeff Vandermeer. If you saw the movie "Annihilation," the books are almost nothing like it: the movie is more horror, while the books are just ... wierd. I don't like horror, and I did like the books. They aren't very long, but IIRC they take more effort to read than one might expect. (If you do read them, there's a thread here on the forum with spoilers/reactions/theories.)

I've read, @Quickbronze , Deltora Quest and the Lunar Chronicles, and I agree, Deltora Quest was good. As for The Southern Reach Triolgy and Ready Player One, @Lump-wing , I've been thinking about reading these, but I can't find them anywhere. 

13 hours ago, ShardBreaker said:

As for The Southern Reach Triolgy and Ready Player One, @Lump-wing , I've been thinking about reading these, but I can't find them anywhere. 

If you're using the library (which is how I always try-before-I-buy), that's totally understandable since the movies are in the theaters now so maybe try again in a few months.

If you're buying Ready Player One, check a used book store if you have one nearby. I was just at a local Half Price Books, and they had a ton of copies.

The Southern Reach/Area X trilogy is much, much harder to find. After looking everywhere for a year, I gave up trying to find it in bookstores & just ordered the omnibus (3 volumes in 1) online.

hth

On 4/5/2018 at 8:23 PM, ShardBreaker said:

Read that already, and I agree, it's an amazing book series. I've heard of most of the books you mentioned, and have had some recommended to me before, but I never got around to reading them. If you need any good series I recommend The Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer, The Circle Trilogy by Ted Dekker, The Inheritance Cycle by Christopher Paolini, Dawn of Wonder (the first book in an upcoming series) by somedude whos name I can't remember, and the Stormlight Archive's, by some weird dude. Those are probably my favorites(also, who could forget Harry Potter?) .   

I second the rec for Dawn of Wonder. Jonathan Renshaw is the author. I thought his writing style and character driven narrative was reminiscent of Name of the Wind. 

Also, I’m finishing up the second book in James Islington’s Licanius Trilogy and am pretty well obsessed. Sword-fighting, time travel and bad-chull female characters...the holy trinity. 

Edited by wisewayne
Spelling

I second the recommendations for Ranger's Apprentice, Powdermage, Ready Player One (I wouldn't call it a favorite, but it's good), and Beyonders. Brandon Mull's Fablehaven series is also fantastic and one of my all-time favorites. It's about a pair of siblings who discover that their grandparents run a secret wildlife preserve for magical creatures. And if you liked Lockwood & Co., you would probably enjoy Jonathan Stroud's other series the Bartimaeus Trilogy if you haven't read it already. I swear, Bartimaeus is one of the funniest, snarkiest narrators I've ever read, right up there with Alcatraz Smedry.

If you enjoy steampunk or alternate history, you might try Leviathan by Scott Westerfeld. It's a trilogy that takes place during what was, in real life, World War I, but obviously since it's alternate history things don't happen the same way. ;)

I have tons of "favorite" books, but I'll just add one more to this post since you probably don't want me to list off half my bookshelf... :lol: Jackaby by William Ritter is amazing. It feels a little like Sherlock Holmes in that the story follows a Victorian-era detective (Jackaby) and is told by his companion the narrator (Abigail), but the things they investigate are all magical in nature. It's a 4-book series, all complete now.