[OB] Azure’s Shardblade

Apollyon

Question

Is Azure’s blade actually a shardblade? It doesn’t seem to act normal, due to the nature that it is unable to be dismissed and it’s strange size. I’ve come to think that it’s an awakened sword, due to Azure being Vivenna. If it is awakened, what command do you think it has? Is it sentient?

5 answers to this question

we don't know for sure, but I'm guessing it's something like that.

It could be an Honorblade, but that is unlikely, due to the fact that Azure never used any Surges, even when they could have been useful.

But it is most likely something from Nalthis, maybe similar to Nightblood.

If it is awakened, it may have a command that pertains to Azure's quest: to find Nightblood and Vasher.

Edited by Gancho Libre
I need more words!!

Brandon has said that Vivenna's blade shares some features with Nightblood but is different. He has RAFO'd whether it's the same sword that Vasher gave her to use in Warbreaker and he hasn't decided on a name for it yet (he had some ideas, apparently none satisfied him in time to make it into publication) but it's definitely Awakened. The way that it creates grey wounds (much like Nightblood creates black ones, and matching the color of the Lifeless) is a pretty strong hint in that direction, along with the obvious differences that the Rosharans observe and Vivenna has to explain away.

As for the Command, I don't think you'd need something as explicit as 'Cut things well' to get something Shardblade-ish. Brandon has implied that other magic systems can be hacked to create similar weapons, so it's probably more to do with the amount of Investiture than the specific quirks of one magic system. Brandon has for example implied that you could make a feruchemical Shardblade, though it would require something more than just dumping a lot of Investiture in a sword-shaped nicrosilmind. But still, if it's possible then the Command in an Awakening-created Shardblade is probably not hugely important so long as it isn't something completely opposite the idea of swordiness (totally a real word!) or ridiculously specific like 'Slice bread and only bread'. xD

Edited by Weltall

Azure's Blade is an Awakened Sword.

That would be' the actual result of Vasher and Shashara's research while NB is a weird error happened under unknown and peculiar circumstances.

In this context, I think the Blade herself isn't fully Sapient and its Command doesn't pratically matter once the creation is done