Storms!

[OB] The One/ My 100th Post

11 posts in this topic

Preface: I just realized that I have made 99 posts on the Shard and I want to make #100 count. I've spent the last few minutes or so (which is a long time for me) trying to figure out what would be appropriate. On my first day as a member of the Shard, I was reading an interesting thread about The Iriali and the long trial and decided to insert my two cents. I had a good idea about the name of the Shard that the Iriali call "The One." No one ever responded to my post, and the thread died (my post is still the last one). I have wanted to create a new thread about it for a while now, but I never got around to it.

So for post #100, I decided to dust off this old theory and try again!

The Theory: The basic story of the One is this:

• There was a single great entity that knew everything but had experienced nothing
  • It broke apart it many pieces, becoming the people known as the Iriali
  • The Iriali were destined to live on 7 different worlds (great speculation on this in the thread I linked above)
  • After the 7th world, they would reunite to reform The One (which we assume is a Shard)

So the question is, which Shard is The One?

In the thread linked above, there was some interesting speculation on this, but I feel like everyone is missing a glaring, obvious clue. How has Brandon named all of the Shards so far? It's based off of their capital "I" Intent driving motivation. What is the Shard's purpose? Why does it do what it does? This purpose drives all of the Shard's actions and it's reflected in the name of the Shard.

So let's ignore all the (super interesting) speculation about which worlds the Iriali have gone to, and which they will go to next. These questions are just distractions. The relevant question is WHY. Why do they travel between worlds? Why did The One break itself apart?

The answer: to experience. It knew everything but experienced nothing, so it broke apart and forced its people to travel from world to world in the Cosmere. The purpose is to gain experience.

The Shard is called Experience

Closing: Ok, that was a lot to type and took longer than I expected. Now that I'm done, I fully expect someone to pop in with a WoB totally disproving my whole theory. That, or for someone to say "duhhhhh, why do you think no one talks about this? It's like having a theory about water being wet." :)

Anyway this is my 100th post and I'm sticking to it! Thanks to everyone at the Shard for enabling my Sanderson addiction!

P.S. Wasn't sure if this should be on the OB board or in Cosmere Theories, so admins feel free to move

Edited by Storms!

It is an interesting idea, and very possible. Experience is indeed a cool Shard name too, so it works.

Congrats on your first 100 posts! May there be a hundred more!

Not a bad idea, I like it.

Intent, when referring to a Shard, is actually not supposed to be capitalized.  It's a non-canon term that @Chaos coined because we don't have a better one.  Intent is capitalized a few times in the book, when used to mean "doing something with purpose", so we have to be careful in using the right term in the right way.

It's been debated, but no one's come u p with a really really good replacement yet.

@RShara Maybe mandate or motive? Or purpose?

I can't recall why mandate was rejected, but motive/purpose/motivation were off because...well, like, is Honor's purpose to be Honorable?  To have others act with Honor?  Or to be the essence of Honor/to be Honorable?  It's a hard thing to define. So, intent, as long as we use it correctly, should be fine until Brandon gives us a canon term.

Anyway, let's not derail the thread any further.

The word intent, with respect to a Shard's intent, should never be capitalized. It is never capitalized in the books in this context and the quote where I got the word from--a Hero of Ages annotation--did not capitalize it. Capital-I Intent in the cosmere refers to the usage of magic/Investiture and your intentions with it. (I feel very strongly about this; do not capitalize intent when referring to a Shard.)

Mandate is a poor term as that implies there was some grand design or something saying "yo this Shard, do this." Adonalsium could have been broken in different ways and so implying that there is some kind of higher thing giving their Shards that is a bad idea. What the Shard is is intrinsic to the force itself.

At this stage we will need to wait for Brandon to make a term. We will never agree on a good term. Intent isn't perfect but it's okay enough.

(But don't capitalize it.)

Anyway, let's get this thread back on track. :) 

17 hours ago, Chaos said:

At this stage we will need to wait for Brandon to make a term. We will never agree on a good term. Intent isn't perfect but it's okay enough.

Intent is probably the best term we have, as long as we know that it refers to the intent of the Shard, not the intent of the Vessel. The intent of the Shard will override the intent of the Vessel over time. That's biggest challenge to finding a proper name. None of the terms that we have come up with properly express the limitations.

A person who has a mandate to preserve something (a priceless artifact for example) will have no problem destroying a group of criminals that are targeting it. The Shard Preservation is physically incapable of destruction. It would want to preserve the criminals as well. Not a perfect example, but the point stands.

It's closer to an OCD-like compulsion than a purpose/mandate, both of which imply a level of choice.

18 hours ago, Chaos said:

Capital-I Intent in the cosmere refers to the usage of magic/Investiture and your intentions with it. (I feel very strongly about this; do not capitalize intent when referring to a Shard.)

The more I think about it, the more I think capital "I" Intent actually makes sense for Shards. Bare with me for a second:

In the normal (Cosmere normal anyway) usage of Intent, a person's intentions influence the way the magic behaves. At the Shardic level, it is just the opposite. The intentions of the Shard influences the way the person behaves. It's the same principle, the only difference is the influencer/influencee is flipped.