Long Game 44: Shadows of Elantris Redux

Herowannabe

Note on PMs: Please include all three GMs ( @Herowannabe @Fifth Scholar @Elbereth ) and our IM ( @Orlok Tsubodai ) in any Seon PMs you create. Originally in the rules I had posted that you only needed to include 1 GM, but upon asking Orlok and both of my co-GMs said they want to be included in everything. Thanks!

Edited by Herowannabe

50 minutes ago, Mraize said:

The guard, a man named Bartelemi, swung at the vendor. The sword solidly connected, cutting through Fenot clothing, but drawing no blood. The man toppled to the ground like he had said. Sahin Arehe handed Bartelemi his halberd, and offered the Fenot his hand. "You've got my attention. I would like something to increase my awareness and reaction time. Can you guarantee that these potions will work?"

Fenot gasped as he grabbed the man's hand, letting himself be pulled upwards. "Yes, of course. Wooo, that always aches. But yes, i can guarantee that they work, as long as you take the dosage i describe." He dusted himself off, then walked back around the table amd grabbed at the white potion. "This gives you about 2 minutes of thinking time over the course of a minute. It costs ten gold, and you cannot drink more than 1 per hour. Want one good lord?"

15 minutes ago, King Cole said:

Gonna be completely honest, I have no idea what to do when I start games.

I recommend giving advice on roles, rp'ing, or just causing a ruckus like Kidpen and I did.

FYI everyone I'll be working/busy for most of the rest of the day, but will still occasionally be checking the site. If you need a question answered or a ruling or anything, please "mention" me in this thread or reply to your role PM. Thanks. 

You know what? I kind of want to mess around writing Noir. Elantris Noir- Murder of a priest. So, from now on, I’ll be trying to put my game thoughts in RP. I might give up in the middle, but it should make this fun.

I swished from spot to spot, using Aon Bob to keep in the darkness. The moon was bright overhead. I soon stood outside the priest’s place. 

I knew I had to find the murderers, extort them, and turn them in for a nice reward on top. A man has gotta live, and I learned long ago that making friends gets you nowhere. 

A look around the scene of the crime turned up a scrap of evidence that hadn’t been noticed. A bit of fabric, nice stuff. But unusual in its harsh pattern of colors. Either these Jeskeri had been stealing top quality cloth from the royal clothers, or some mighty rich people were involved in this conspiracy. Typical. Rich people had nothing better to do besides be corrupt and join nasty cults. I pulled up my coat, and headed outside to find a contact who could give me a bit more on this scrap of cloth. 

3 hours ago, randuir said:

Are we certain the Gyorn is a 'convert' though? I checked the rules for that, and I couldn't find it stated one way or another (though I could have missed it, of course). Doing it either way would make sense. Also, the Gyorn belongs to the Shu-dereth faction, which is separate from being a convert, so a scan would catch him either way.

In addition to Hero's clarification here in-thread, I asked one in my GM PM last night: the Gyorn's vote is not canceled by the Derethi Pendant. So not only are they not a Convert, they don't behave anything like a Convert (well, and we can't scan for them using the Pendants).

5 hours ago, TheMightyLopen said:

I'm not sure what I think about the Shu-Dereth pendants. I think using them on a convert is the safer option, but it seems like a bit of a waste to kind of throw away a game mechanic(no ulterior motives here I swear :P). Best usage I can see is waiting until a player you think is village gets converted and then using the pendant on them to help them to survive. If you use it on a player and then that player becomes a lynch target, it might be a good idea to alert people so a lynch isn't wasted(not sure this is a good idea though, since it defeats the purpose of having used it on said person a bit).

I'm not following you here. If the Derethi Converts aren't going to claim, then how are we going to know that they've been converted? And why would we want to help the convert survive? Converts can be Jeskeri just as much as they can be village, so lynching someone who had been Pendanted would be just like lynching them normally, except it pushes the Gyorn's win condition back a little bit.

I think that the Derethi Converts claiming is a good idea, so I'll go ahead and inform everyone that I am not currently a convert and I will inform everyone if I do become one.

24 minutes ago, Elenion said:

In addition to Hero's clarification here in-thread, I asked one in my GM PM last night: the Gyorn's vote is not canceled by the Derethi Pendant. So not only are they not a Convert, they don't behave anything like a Convert (well, and we can't scan for them using the Pendants).

I'm not following you here. If the Derethi Converts aren't going to claim, then how are we going to know that they've been converted? And why would we want to help the convert survive? Converts can be Jeskeri just as much as they can be village, so lynching someone who had been Pendanted would be just like lynching them normally, except it pushes the Gyorn's win condition back a little bit.

I think that the Derethi Converts claiming is a good idea, so I'll go ahead and inform everyone that I am not currently a convert and I will inform everyone if I do become one.

I agree with this. I am also not a convert, and will inform if I do become one.

Mint cares not for you people's silly schemes. They have one task right now, one of the most upmost importance. Also, he wants to know if saying most upmost is grammatically correct, but that can be done after the first task. 

Mint was going to build up their court. After all, no good ruler did everything themselves, did they?

@little wilson, I have been informed that you are an artist? If not, then I sincerely apologize, fudges tend to well, fudge their information a little. Anyway, one requires a piece that draws any observers eye towards my area, though I think I will leave the specific details to the expert. We can agree on a price after the work is done? I can guarantee that there will be payment involved, on my word as King (but not the role, a voice in his head says).

@Eternum, I find myself in need of some teaching as to this world's lore, so as to better understand the culture and it's preferences. I have also received information that you are a man of fables? For your services, I can promise an attentive audience and an ear to listen to maybe more than just stories.

Unfortunately, Mint was now running out of time. Their other subjects were begging for an audience, and it was his duty to listen to most of them. Mint never did get along well with the Werthers family.

I am not a convert, and if at a later time I become one, I intend to announce it.

However, I am warning you that I would absolutely say the same thing if I were a convert.

As I understand it, any convert that claims right now is basically throwing away their chances at becoming Odiv. I am aware that some people prefer to play to their current win condition at the expense of possible future win conditions, but others do not prefer to play in that way.

I am in the second camp, though I respect the sentiment of the first. Personally, if I were a convert, I would wait to claim until after tonight, assuming I did not get the position as Odiv. If I did not become Odiv, it would imply that either the Gyorn gave somebody else the position, or that they took the time to hand-pick a new convert and swear that person as Odiv. At which point, I would have much more reason to claim, as I would be unlikely to change alignments at that point.

I pretty much agree that the village would benefit if all of the converts claimed right now. But realistically, I don't expect any of them to claim until after tonight, and I would not claim yet in their place either.

1 minute ago, Drake Marshall said:

I am not a convert, and if at a later time I become one, I intend to announce it.

However, I am warning you that I would absolutely say the same thing if I were a convert.

As I understand it, any convert that claims right now is basically throwing away their chances at becoming Odiv. 

Hmmm, I would also say i wasn't a convert if i was. I wanted to become an Odiv, but i don't consider it all that likely. However, why are they throwing away their chance at being an Odiv? Yes, it would be smarter for the Gyorn to convert a player who had not claimed, but a strong cleared player who had claimed would still be a good idea.

3 hours ago, Mraize said:

"Yes I would. I will take two of each." He said taking forty gold pieces from his money pouch and slapping it down on the table.

"Excellent." Fenot turned and dug out another of the potions. He slid both across to the soldier, then slid the coins into his purse. "Such a joy working with you sir. If you ever need any more, I'll be here all month."

( @Drake Marshall, you still want to RP?)

4 minutes ago, A Joe in the Bush said:

Hmmm, I would also say i wasn't a convert if i was. I wanted to become an Odiv, but i don't consider it all that likely. However, why are they throwing away their chance at being an Odiv? Yes, it would be smarter for the Gyorn to convert a player who had not claimed, but a strong cleared player who had claimed would still be a good idea.

Right, "throwing away" might be an overly strong word choice. It still think it could decidedly hurt one's prospects of becoming Odiv though. Because if the other two converts also claimed, it would narrow the search for the Odiv down to three people (assuming the Gyorn did not choose to delay the swearing of an Odiv in order to convert somebody else, which they would be much more likely to do if the current converts started claiming).

11 minutes ago, A Joe in the Bush said:

Certainly.

4 minutes ago, A Joe in the Bush said:

"Excellent." Fenot turned and dug out another of the potions. He slid both across to the soldier, then slid the coins into his purse. "Such a joy working with you sir. If you ever need any more, I'll be here all month."

(@Drake Marshall, I would like to RP as well)

"Thank you," Sahin said placing the potions into his satchel. "I will keep that in mind. I might come back if I am impressed."

Ateshao greeted the important-looking fellow, dusting a light shower of feathers off his coat and tipping an imaginary hat in respect.

"'Ello, mister, ahh.... What was your name? Don't think I seen you before, else I really need something to fix these eyes."

He spared another glance at Fenot's collection of wares, a handful of painted wooden dice still cupped in one hand.

(I shall be around in about an hour. For now, I have a recital to go perform in; wish me luck :P)

Edited by Drake Marshall

Fenot frowned as the new man stepped up to the table. A cure for eyes, That was a challenge. most of his potions just added a bit of magic, that would degrade over time. Healing something like a broken bone was a bit more difficult, you had to compress power into a liquid form or else the person would starve to death as the potion knitted them together. Though, if his eyes had been afflicted from birth, that would actually be easier. He needed a potion that would replace a small part of the body. Those needed to be made for a specific person.

"Good sir, I can make a potion to fix your eyes, I am certain, but i need to know everything about them. What is wrong with your eyes? When did they go wrong? Is it both eyes, or just one? How much money are you willing to spend on this?"

(Good luck!)

7 hours ago, Amanuensis said:

You thought this was Aman posting but no! It was me, Dio!

Wow, nice to see you again Aman... hmm... oh yes, nice to see you Dio!

So, I skimmed through thread and most discussion was around Shu-Dereth Pendant,  I really see only one use for this pendant, use it on yourself and you can probably avoid being lynched. In late game it can be very powerful, also maybe I missed but if on converted player(or Gyorn) will be used pendant votes will be canceled?

Also I'm not convert right now and I'm not going to announce when I will be converted, because it's boring :P!

8 hours ago, Amanuensis said:

-I am against any strategy trying to dictate who pendants get used on, tbh. People should do what they want with what they have.

-I am similarly against Derethi converts informing the thread. Sure, it might make the village win con easier to obtain, but it also may do it at the cost of the Gyorn's fun. I'd rather just catch them normally.

Also I agree with both this points. I never liked strategies which dictate to people what they should do, because this strategies usually don't work due to part of people doing what they want.

About Derethi converts I'm not against them claiming, but as I said earlier I don't see need for everyone to inform thread if they converted or not, personal thing to do.

2 hours ago, Drake Marshall said:

As I understand it, any convert that claims right now is basically throwing away their chances at becoming Odiv. I am aware that some people prefer to play to their current win condition at the expense of possible future win conditions, but others do not prefer to play in that way.

I am in the second camp, though I respect the sentiment of the first. Personally, if I were a convert, I would wait to claim until after tonight, assuming I did not get the position as Odiv. If I did not become Odiv, it would imply that either the Gyorn gave somebody else the position, or that they took the time to hand-pick a new convert and swear that person as Odiv. At which point, I would have much more reason to claim, as I would be unlikely to change alignments at that point.

I pretty much agree that the village would benefit if all of the converts claimed right now. But realistically, I don't expect any of them to claim until after tonight, and I would not claim yet in their place either.

Interesting. So basically, if a player was Derethi and claimed not to be, then that would tell the Gyorn that they're looking for a position as the Odiv. If they don't get it first opportunity, they aren't likely to get it later, so they claim and help the village by soaking up Pendants. Hmmm... The deciding factor on whether or not a given Convert uses this strategy is whether or not a given Convert thinks that the Gyorn is likely to win or not, because if they become the Odiv then they can no longer win with their original team. If they think they have a better chance where they are currently, they will claim and likely not be the Odiv. If they'd rather be the Odiv, they choose not to claim. All of the Converts claiming would be great right now, but if we can get even one to claim then we can expend the Pendants, and hopefully at least one Convert doesn't adopt your strategy.

13 minutes ago, Steeldancer said:

I listened on the street. All the chatter seemed to be about this new religion in town- Shu-Dereth. Why in the name of Domi were they only concerned with a religion, instead of the murderous cult? It smelled suspicious to me, of redirection and lies. 

So you have a strategy to find the Jeskeri? I don't. I do have one to hinder the Derethi though. So I will focus on them.

2 minutes ago, A Joe in the Bush said:

So you have a strategy to find the Jeskeri? I don't. I do have one to hinder the Derethi though. So I will focus on them.

The Bush made a good point- along with an incentive. I took the hint, and disappeared back into the shadows. 

@Elenion I think every convert needs to consider the real possibility that by claiming to be a convert, they run the risk of seriously harming their team's win condition upon becoming Odiv. I also suspect that any player claiming to be converted will be more likely to be targeted by the cultists, since they would be able to search for the Odiv, work towards their own win condition, and also avoid making the Gyorn closer to winning at the same time.

As for the Derethi Pendants, the only use I can think for them is to stop endgame lynches on villagers. So there doesn't seem to be too much harm in getting rid of them.

Sheodan watched as the Alchemist survived what should have been a lethal blow. Once the lordling had left, Sheodan approached Fenot's table.

"Your DensitTea is interesting concoction, to be sure. The limited duration makes it nearly useless in battle, however. What do you have that can heal a wound after the fact?"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4 hours ago, Elenion said:

Arelish converts do have an incentive to claim, as being a convert mostly clears them of being the Gyorn. The Gyorn is the only player who would benefit from false-claiming this cycle, and doing so would leave them open to being lynched tomorrow if a Shu-Korathi priest decided to verify their claim. Scans come before Odiv swearing, so there's no chance for a current Arelish convert who gets scanned would be revealed as the Odiv.

2 hours ago, Drake Marshall said:

If a player is a convert because they have a Shu-Dereth pendant, they might benefit from staying silent even if they would prefer not to become the Odiv. They could try to induce the Gyorn to convert them, only to give away the Shu-Dereth pendant before they become an Odiv. This would delay the Gyorn's win condition by an entire cycle.

22 minutes ago, Araris Valerian said:

As for the Derethi Pendants, the only use I can think for them is to stop endgame lynches on villagers. So there doesn't seem to be too much harm in getting rid of them.

We can't really get rid of the Derethi pendants effectively without having a claimed convert, which might not happen until conversions start going up by two. You do raise a good point about claimed converts being targeted by Cultists, though, which might continue even after an Odiv is selected.

Ultimately, while it would might be helpful if all three current converts claimed, I think any coordinated claims should wait until after the Odiv is selected. We won't know for sure that this has occurred until Day 3 at the earliest, so if people want to claim before then, they can.

28 minutes ago, Mraize said:

Sahin Arehe isn't gone yet...

Yup. Drake and Mraize are both right in front of my table, @Devotary of Spontaneity if you want, i can RP with you, but i can't tell if you want our RP to be after the current conversation, or if you want to join in with us. I am fine with rp'ing two different time.

I came out of the shadows again, on the hunt for clues. I needed to start an investigation on the side into this religion. It was no minor thing, having collapsed the Duladel republic. However, they kept talking about converts. I needed to know whether they were discussing true converts, or those who wore a medallion to become Derethi. According to my observations, it seemed like only 3 converts were active, and that it was likely that at least one of them was only due to wearing one of those medallions. Furthermore, the head derethi priest- the gyorn- might not be one of the three. Hopefully, if I could track down some of the more knowledgeable Derethi, I could get something on these Jeskeri. They would probably need a bit of... incentive to help me out, but I'm not above getting in the mud to track down these guys. You can't clean this kind of stuff up without getting dirty. Trying to do so without getting dirty means nothing gets done.