Long Game 44: Shadows of Elantris Redux

Herowannabe

Sahin strode down the road purposefully. He had managed to slip out if the palace, somehow, he was worried that he was noticed leaving. Arelon, surprised him. It was a marvellous beautiful city. 

His guards flanked him on either side. He was deep in thought. He thought about the cultists, his home Are Plantaion, and the murders. Perhaps the cultists were tied to the will. It was worth investigating, dangerous but worth it. Clues. That is what he-

"Good sirs? Would any of you care to purchase a potion that will increase your skill with a blade? Or make your mind move faster?" A man called, shaking Sahin Arehe from his thoughts. 

He approached the booth, several bottle lined the stand. Each held a interesting liquid inside.

"Tell me more about these odd liquids." Sahin pressed.

Esit: alright! Thanks for the heads up!

Edited by Mraize

9 minutes ago, Arraenae said:

When you edit your messages, please don't delete information. If you have to add in new information, make sure to mark it like in the example below, so all players can tell what was said inthread without being disadvantaged by access time.

EDIT: If you want to just fix a grammar or spelling mistake, then feel free to do so without saying that you edited the post.

Actually, even if you are editing a spelling or grammar mistake, please note it in the little "reason for editing" box, so that we know that's why your post was edited. Thanks. 

Whoa, the start caught me by surprise. Right now I'm tired from leading a busy shift at work, but I want to throw a few thoughts out there so that there's more time to talk about them.

1. What disadvantage would the Derethi Converts have to claiming? The Gyorn already knows who they are, and the Converts claiming would limit the Gyorn's choice of Odiv because back when they were non-Derethi they revealed themselves to the thread. We would also gain the added benefit of being able to get rid of Derethi Pendants without creating converts.

2. I was just about to say that we should keep our eye out for which players can't post because they're Elantrians, but I just noticed that the GMs told us, so that plan is out.

3. I think we need to be concerned about the Jeskeri Pendants. They can throw off our alignment scanners and can kill innocents. While they could be useful as a vig-kill against the Gyorn or to out a Jeskeri, I'm not necessarily sure if the reward would be worth the risk. Something I've thought of, but I'm not sure if I support, is that we could use the Pendants to kill inactives. We'd be disarming ourselves of vig-kills, but we'd make the Priests more certain of their scans and reduce the chance of friendly fire killing a power role. I want to hear some thoughts on this plan: who's for it and who's against it?

24 minutes ago, Mraize said:

He approached the booth, several bottle lined the stand. Each held a interesting liquid inside.

"Tell me more about these odd liquids." Sahin pressed.

Fenot grinned, and picked up a thick ivory potion. "My mother was an Elantrian, but my Father was from Hrovell, land of potions. Both of them taught me much of how the human body works, and how to affect it. I know how to use magic, and natural plants and animals to brew drinks that change the body. This white one makes a man think twice as fast. His body and the world around him will seem to move slowly, giving you an advantage in any situation!" He hesitated, then leaned in, "Though i must caution, a friend of mine drank my whole stock of the stuff, over a gallon, and his brain just stopped working at all. He still lived, but never thought again."

He leaned back and resumed his grin. "But as long as you drink just the amount i give you! They are safe! And if you don't want speed of thought, tell me what you do want! I can craft hundreds of potions!"

( @Mraize)

8 minutes ago, Elenion said:

3. I think we need to be concerned about the Jeskeri Pendants. They can throw off our alignment scanners and can kill innocents. While they could be useful as a vig-kill against the Gyorn or to out a Jeskeri, I'm not necessarily sure if the reward would be worth the risk. Something I've thought of, but I'm not sure if I support, is that we could use the Pendants to kill inactives. We'd be disarming ourselves of vig-kills, but we'd make the Priests more certain of their scans and reduce the chance of friendly fire killing a power role. I want to hear some thoughts on this plan: who's for it and who's against it?

I'm all for it. It increases the chances of hitting a Jeskeri by reducing the targets, and by removing scan protection.

"Yes. Interesting" Sahin mused. He picked up a few vials and looked into them. There was red potions to green and yellow. He looked to check his coin pouch. He had plenty. He just did not want to be swindled. As a merchant himself he knew plenty of scams and extortion. He tried to be an honest a person as possible. 

"Tell me, do these really work? I like to be wise with my money." Sahin whispered leaning in. "Show me that one if these work and I'll buy a few off of you, only if I have proof. If the any potions are poisoned- let's just say you don't want to find out what happens." 

3 minutes ago, Mraize said:

"Yes. Interesting" Sahin mused. He picked up a few vials and looked into them. There was red potions to green and yellow. He looked to check his coin pouch. He had plenty. He just did not want to be swindled. As a merchant himself he knew plenty of scams and extortion. He tried to be an honest a person as possible. 

"Tell me, do these really work? I like to be wise with my money." Sahin whispered leaning in. "Show me that one if these work and I'll buy a few off of you, only if I have proof. If the any potions are poisoned- let's just say you don't want to find out what happens." 

Fenot smirked, the poisons would never be left out on display. And he had just the impressive potion to proof how they worked. Cheap and easy to make, since it only worked for about 5 seconds. "Of course my good lord." He leaned back and grabbed the slender green potion. He stood, walking around the wooden table, so the guard could get a clean shot at him. He pulled the cork out of the vial, and raised it in one hand, then with his other, lifted his shirt enough to expose his bare belly.

"To prove the effectiveness of my potions, i will drink this one. I call it DensitTea. Once it starts affecting me, I will have about 5 seconds where my body will be so dense, that nothing can puncture it." He frowned at some bad memories. "I also can't breath and can barely move. But!" He grinned again, "right before it starts affecting me, i will make a fist, during that time, i want you to stab me! Your weapon will be unable to puncture me, and will only knock me over!"

Sahin nodded, thoughtful. He motioned to one of his guards. The guard handed his halberd to Sahin. The man moved directly in front of the potion master and drew his short sword. The guard waited for him to make a fist. 

Sahin really needed a potion the enhanced reaction time and alertness. He needed it to last longer than five seconds as well. He didn't know much about the man but if the man was willing to let Sahin see the potion in effect with confidence, Sahin could give some credibility. 

1 hour ago, A Joe in the Bush said:

Yeah, i advised Kidpen in the doc to not do that when he said he was gonna do it. =P

Yo Joe, please get back to the doc already, I want to run this post by you (it's attached below for your convenience) before I hit post.

Also, I asked my co workers to give me a random number, and they said 13,  [ Drake Marshall ].

For now, I totally volunteer to become a lover, and I am not a Derethi Convert. However, I would like to get rid of the Shu-Dereth Pendants sooner rather than later. The only way to get rid of them is to use them, which defeats the purpose of getting rid of them, but, If they all target the same player this turn, than they will all be gone, at the cost of one extra convert. 0 extra, if we can target someone who is already a convert.

@Herowannabe, is any part of my plan unworkable? That is, will all pendants used on a player be used up and leave the game? If the pendants are used on a convert, are they still used?

"Thirteen you say?" Ateshao exclaimed, laboriously dragging an oversized cart behind him. "Why, that's my lucky number!"

"Say, speakin' of random numbers 'n such, if you be the gambling type, I'll match the wager! Fenot, was it? I got just the thing!"

He rifled through the boxes perched on the top of his lopsided cart, knocking one of them off and sending a cascade of beads rolling over the unevenly paved road as several frames of abaci splintered. Ateshao uttered a steady stream of colorful curses as he digged deeper in the cart, leaning closer, his legs eventually lifting off the ground as he dove deeper into the cart.

"Aha!!" a muffled shout emanated from beneath what vaguely resembled a fishing net full of crystal balls. Ateshao carefully extricated himself from the mess, brushing feathers from his hair as his feet touched the ground. In the other hand, he held out a handful of six wooden dice. Quality things, evenly carved and each a bright splash of color.

"Got these off me uncle who got 'em off this shady fellow dressed in a mellow shade of yellow. Dead, you see, so I don't think he missed 'em... But I think they take a shining to you. Seems right that they be yours, at a proper price anyways."

1 hour ago, Mraize said:

The last thing Sahin Arehe expected was the murder of Patriarch Seinalan.

282qla.jpg

1 hour ago, Mraize said:

Is there anyone that would like to RP for a while?

Always, if you are game.

1 hour ago, A Joe in the Bush said:

Fenot chattered happily to himself as he set out the potions he was reasonably sure were safe. "A great day indeed, sad that the priest is dead, but a good death is always good for business!" He had managed to get permission from the city to set up a small tent on an unused plot of land in the city, about midway between the palace and thw church. He had to share it with a hobo, but he could use the man as a guinea pig.

"A busy day, a rich day, lots of people worried about dying!" He grinned as he set potions out on the sturdy wooden table he had purchased. Potions of luck, of skill, of lies, of speed. They were all on display.

Once he was finiahed, he began to call out to the crowd. "Magical cures here folks! Using lost Elantrian magics, and Hrovelian knowhow, I can cure your ails! These drinks can make you stronger! Or taller! They can add years to your lifespan, i'm proof! I'm 79, but look 30!"

Slowly, curious people began to approach, some just to gawk, others to buy things. Some he lied to, and sold apple juice that was dyed different colors, others were smarter, and received actual potions for much steeper prices. He could both.

A trio of soldiers marched down the street, looking like they would pass by his booth. ( @Mraize ) Fenot called out to them, "Good sirs? Would any of you care to purchase a potion that will increase your skill with a blade? Or make your mind move faster?

Ateshao widened his eyes, his expression comically exaggerated. "What's all this? You are a salesman of potions and you never told me?"

"Nights, if I didn't see all yonder potions afore, maybe I need a brew for proper eyesight."

9 minutes ago, Mraize said:

Sahin nodded, thoughtful. He motioned to one of his guards. The guard handed his halberd to Sahin. The man moved directly in front of the potion master and drew his short sword. The guard waited for him to make a fist. 

Sahin really needed a potion the enhanced reaction time and alertness. He needed it to last longer than five seconds as well. He didn't know much about the man but if the man was willing to let Sahin see the potion in effect with confidence, Sahin could give some credibility. 

This part was always terrifying. It was possible that the potion would fail. Ah well. Fenot chugged the potion down, then raised his open hand and hesitated. He felt his body began to increase in weight, and immediately made a fist.

2 minutes ago, Drake Marshall said:

Yo Joe, please get back to the doc already, I want to run this post by you (it's attached below for your convenience) before I hit post.

I will RP with you once my scene with Mraize is done.

11 minutes ago, Mraize said:

Ateshao noticed the important-looking fellow holding a big spear, flanked by a less-important looking fellow with a sword.

Aha, ha, ha... I'm told the folks over in Alethy-kar would have a right fit if they saw something like that.

Alright, the game's on. Some comments on other posts:

3 hours ago, Elenion said:

Whoa, the start caught me by surprise. Right now I'm tired from leading a busy shift at work, but I want to throw a few thoughts out there so that there's more time to talk about them.

1. What disadvantage would the Derethi Converts have to claiming? The Gyorn already knows who they are, and the Converts claiming would limit the Gyorn's choice of Odiv because back when they were non-Derethi they revealed themselves to the thread. We would also gain the added benefit of being able to get rid of Derethi Pendants without creating converts.

I don't really see why they wouldn't. It doesn't clear them of anything ( @Herowannabe, does the Gyorn count as a Shu-Dereth convert?), but it might help with finding the Odiv.

3 hours ago, Elenion said:

We do have two pinch-hitters though, so killing inactives isn't really that useful. We've also only got one real scan-role, so it's not like we'll have a ton of scans going around. Personally, I think these pendants should just be used at their owners discretion, as throwing away a bunch of village-owned kills in the hope that it avoids a false positive seems like a waste. Though it is true that the pendants can't be used to kill a cultist, that just turns that kill into a pseudo-alignment scan (just don't use it unless you're quite certain the target is evil, as you'll know their alignment for certain afterwards, one way or another).

5 hours ago, A Joe in the Bush said:

However, I would like to get rid of the Shu-Dereth Pendants sooner rather than later. The only way to get rid of them is to use them, which defeats the purpose of getting rid of them, but, If they all target the same player this turn, than they will all be gone, at the cost of one extra convert. 0 extra, if we can target someone who is already a convert.

@Herowannabe, is any part of my plan unworkable? That is, will all pendants used on a player be used up and leave the game? If the pendants are used on a convert, are they still used?

This could work, but I'm not sure if it's worth it. The pendant does have a useful alternative power (very useful in the late game), so any elims won't throw theirs away in the way you suggested. I think any villagers holding these might as well keep them, as they can be used to, for example, break up a hammer attempt. If there was an actual faction conversion mechanic I'd agree, but there is only one faction conversion in the entire game, so I don't think the risk of a pendant ending with the odiv is that big.

On the topic of the Odiv, unless all converts claim, I suspect the Odiv will be recruited this cycle as it doubles  the Gyorn's factions amount of available converts per cycle.

Hmmmm, well, I kinda didn't read the entire descriptions for each character, and my dude is pretty similar to Joe's, so I'll just erase my guy's memories. :P

Nigel was horrified at the news of the Patriarch's death. Nervously, he began to pace the Grand Hall. 

"Why did I come to the Palace now of all times?" he mumbled to himself. He stopped abruptly as he realized he didn't have a clue why he was there. "I remember...I remember it had something to do with the Patriarch...but surely...surely it wasn't to murder him?" He glanced around the Hall at the others, and started to feel sick. He was either a murderer, or someone here was one. Maybe there was more than one! His hands started sweating as he...

Wait. More than one what? He struggled to remember what he'd just been so worried about, but couldn't seem to recall it. Well, I'm sure it wasn't anything too bad, otherwise I wouldn't have forgotten it! he thought to himself. He started wandering around, looking for something to eat.

Let's see, discussion stuff.

Well, I don't see any reason the converts shouldn't claim either.

Jeskeri pendants - I agree with Rand on this one. Just leave it to the owners discretion. I'd personally suggest waiting to use it for a few Cycles, then either target you're highest suspicion, or if you're not sure, target a player who's widely suspected, which will help discussion(if the player is village, it keeps us from wasting a Day of discussion about lynching them, and if they're evil then great!). The chance of you getting scanned also keeps going up the longer you hold on to it, so I'd say it's best used around Cycle 3 or 4.

I'm not sure what I think about the Shu-Dereth pendants. I think using them on a convert is the safer option, but it seems like a bit of a waste to kind of throw away a game mechanic(no ulterior motives here I swear :P). Best usage I can see is waiting until a player you think is village gets converted and then using the pendant on them to help them to survive. If you use it on a player and then that player becomes a lynch target, it might be a good idea to alert people so a lynch isn't wasted(not sure this is a good idea though, since it defeats the purpose of having used it on said person a bit).

I guess that's it for now. Will likely vote tomorrow.

Reth leaned against one of the Hall's large marble pillars that towered up to support the vast central dome. A spectacle of architecture, indeed. Reth had an eye for spectacles, yes he did. In fact, if you happen to ask the right person at the right time (usually when there is a knife involved, but you didn't hear it from me), that might be the reason Reth was here in Arelon. Because there is no spectacle, not even this Jaddeth the Shu-Dereth have been ranting about, like Elantris. But hey, forget about it.

Reth pulled the brim of his fedora lower on his face and felt a slimmer of a smile flicker on his face. To some, there was an indescribable air of mischief and deviousness about it. To others, he might have been remembering an old joke he once heard. Any of them could be true, but Reth was really thinking about the situation around him. A man, brutally murdered. A royal court, trapped and paranoid. And one man, himself, who has a knack for getting into the wrong place at the wrong time. He had once heard of a man who was always at the right place at the right time, and hopes that maybe one day, they would meet. Woe to anyone else around.

Peoplewatching should be an official sport, Reth thought. He would certainly be champion if it was, that is, if he cared enough to compete. The various reactions of the nobles were each individual yet all together very mood. He couldn't think of any other way to describe it. He could have gone watching them all day, undisturbed, but that was when someone walked up to him.

Open to RP collab

Bob. My name is Bob. 

The only Aon I can use is Aon Bob- Aon of speed. The Dames really like Aon Bob. 

It was a dark night and I was wearing my trench coat and hat. But a body- a priest was found. It’s up to me and my Aon Bob to solve the crime.

I have no idea if I’ll do something with this or not. :P

You thought this was Aman posting but no! It was me, Dio!

Anyway. Posting mobiley so this is going to be a very minimalistic response:

-I am against any strategy trying to dictate who pendants get used on, tbh. People should do what they want with what they have.

-I am similarly against Derethi converts informing the thread. Sure, it might make the village win con easier to obtain, but it also may do it at the cost of the Gyorn's fun. I'd rather just catch them normally.

Think those are the only two big topics brought up? So I'll just end this with an offer.

First person who starts a PM with me gets to know either my role or the item I began with. Second person gets the info that the first did not want. Third, fourth, etc gets to talk to a pretty swell guy.

Edited by Amanuensis
Aucorrect failed me

10 minutes ago, Amanuensis said:

You thought this was Aman posting but no! It was me, Dio!

waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait... Aman is playing again?!? Welcome back!

First person who starts a PM with me gets to know either my role or the item I began with. Second person gets the info that the first did not want. Third, fourth, etc gets to talk to a pretty swell guy.

I'd love to PM you, but unfortunate only people with Seons can make PM's. So if someone could give me a Seon, I'd appreciate that :P 

edit: I can see where you're coming from with regards to the converts, but I'm not sure it'll make a large difference in the long run. It would make picking an Odiv a bit more tricky for the Gyorn, but those reveals could be used for some manipulation as well.

Edited by randuir

37 minutes ago, randuir said:

waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait... Aman is playing again?!? Welcome back!

No! It is I, Dio!

(But yes, I'm back-ish :P thanks for the welcome)

I'd love to PM you, but unfortunate only people with Seons can make PM's. So if someone could give me a Seon, I'd appreciate that :P 

For some reason I think no one will be willing to offer you theirs ^_^

edit: I can see where you're coming from with regards to the converts, but I'm not sure it'll make a large difference in the long run. It would make picking an Odiv a bit more tricky for the Gyorn, but those reveals could be used for some manipulation as well.

Scenario I imagine (in addition to the Odiv problem) would be something like the Gyorn being the only one who doesn't claim then being caught in a scan and lynched for it. Plus process of elimination. We have 3 right now, one for sure is the Gyorn. If we track that going forward it'll be way too easy to narrow it down in a few cycles, once deaths and new converts start factoring in. Not my idea of a good time, personally.

Edited by Amanuensis
Converts not concerts

10 minutes ago, Amanuensis said:

Scenario I imagine (in addition to the Odiv problem) would be something like the Gyorn being the only one who doesn't claim then being caught in a scan and lynched for it. Plus process of elimination. We have 3 right now, one for sure is the Gyorn. If we track that going forward it'll be way too easy to narrow it down in a few cycles, once deaths and new converts start factoring in. Not my idea of a good time, personally.

Are we certain the Gyorn is a 'convert' though? I checked the rules for that, and I couldn't find it stated one way or another (though I could have missed it, of course). Doing it either way would make sense. Also, the Gyorn belongs to the Shu-dereth faction, which is separate from being a convert, so a scan would catch him either way.

Daoate sighed. While he didn't think much of Seinalan, the man was a Patriarch, and it had happened on his watch. Despite his watch technically being the gates of Elantris, and not the Royal Court. Still, it could be a good opportunity for promotion, if he impressed the right people. Now he just had to figure out who they were... Oh, and find a murderer as well.

The stocky, but near-silent guard began his rounds, quietly collecting together the names of the attendees, and quickly ascertaining that no-one was claiming to know anything. Why did days like this always seem to happen to him? He poured himself a glass of wine and set to work.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll be back on later when I'm more capable of thought for thinking, but right now I need sleep. I didn't get enough of it at the weekend.

4 hours ago, randuir said:

( @Herowannabe, does the Gyorn count as a Shu-Dereth convert?),

Wow, I thought I made that clear in the rules but somehow I missed it completely. I have updated the rules in the Shu-Dereth section to clarify:

The Gyorn is not considered a convert, and may not be targeted with the convert action. If the Gyorn ever has a Shu-Dereth Pendant then they will count as a convert for as long as they possess it. If a Shu-Dereth pendant is used to target the Gyorn then it will not permanently make the Gyorn a convert like it would on anyone else. 

Shu-Dereth’s win condition is to convert all remaining players except the Gyorn. 

7 hours ago, A Joe in the Bush said:

This part was always terrifying. It was possible that the potion would fail. Ah well. Fenot chugged the potion down, then raised his open hand and hesitated. He felt his body began to increase in weight, and immediately made a fist.

The guard, a man named Bartelemi, swung at the vendor. The sword solidly connected, cutting through Fenot clothing, but drawing no blood. The man toppled to the ground like he had said. Sahin Arehe handed Bartelemi his halberd, and offered the Fenot his hand. "You've got my attention. I would like something to increase my awareness and reaction time. Can you guarantee that these potions will work?"