Long Game 44: Shadows of Elantris Redux

Herowannabe

45 minutes ago, Drake Marshall said:

Not going to dig too much in the last game since you said it would be more fun that way, but... Did Elantris get restored the last time this game was run?

Elantris did get restored. :) The Elantrians had an uncanny stroke of luck and found all of the areas they needed within the first 5 or so cycles. 

7 hours ago, Renegade said:

As much as I'd love to return for this game, I have finals coming up this month. I'll take a link to the spec doc, though.

That’s too bad, I was really hoping you’d play Riingar again so that I could bring first mate Hreo back in the writeups. Oh well. 

Same quesion I’ve posed to the other spectators- any chance I could persuade you to step up as a pinch hitter after your finals are done instead of being a spectator?

5 minutes ago, Elandera said:

I've never done one of these before, but I'm interested. Is it complicated, or fairly easy for a newcomer? (I am familiar with Mafia, just never played in forum format.) Would it be best to observe first?

This game is a fairly complicated game, but, that being said it will be a very fun one. 

Make sure you check out The Rules and The Q&A, as both have useful information. 

All SE games take quite a bit of a time commitment, so if you don't have too much time right now I would suggest against joining. If you are interested in playing a shorter game then there is also QF31 going on right now, which is less complicated and will run for less time. 

Although observing a game can be beneficial, jumping right in is also fun. It comes down to what you would feel more comfortable doing; observing or playing first. 

Also, Welcome to the community! We have a discord that we use for SE stuff over here that is a good way to get to know the community and make friends outside of killing them playing with them.

@Elandera  I would suggest playing the QF first if you have concerns. It's a shorter format with fewer players (most likely) and rules more similar to standard Mafia than this game's. There's nothing stopping you from signing up for this game, but I know that when I started SE I was glad that my first game wasn't this complex. However, there have been players who have started in LGs and ended up doing just fine without too much stress. It just depends on the player.

2 hours ago, Elandera said:

I've never done one of these before, but I'm interested. Is it complicated, or fairly easy for a newcomer? (I am familiar with Mafia, just never played in forum format.) Would it be best to observe first?

Well, I might be a little biased since this I'm running this game and I want as many people to sign up for it as possible, but I think the best way is to dive right in and play. ;) It can be a bit complicated, but the good part is that you'll be on a team so you can rely on other people a bit to help you figure things out (EDIT: Also, because it's on a forum you have a lot more time to sort things out and conspire with teammates and whatnot). It's basically the same as Mafia, but with an extra dose of Sanderson, Roleplay (if you want), and interesting (some people say complicated) roles and rules added into the mix. 

As I said in this post earlier in this thread, if you'd like to get a feel for the game I'd suggest reading through one of the previously run games. A good choice would be any of the AGs (Anniversary Games) or LG12 (this game is a rerun of LG12, but with the rules fixed up and tweaked a bit). Also, as @Droughtbringer said, check out The Rules and The Q&A

If you don't feel ready to sign up just yet, you could sign up as a pinch hitter, meaning that in a week or two if a player goes inactive or has to drop out of the game you step in and take over their role/faction/etc. Or, alternatively, you are welcome to watch and get a link to the spectator doc where you can discuss the game with other spectators and players who have died, but in my (admittedly biased) opinion if you have time to read the game and comment on it then you have time to play, too. 

Edited by Herowannabe

13 minutes ago, Herowannabe said:

Or, alternatively, you are welcome to watch and get a link to the spectator doc where you can discuss the game with other spectators and players who have died, but in my (admittedly biased) opinion if you have time to read the game and comment on it then you have time to play, too. 

But the best part about spec/dead docs is when they run completely off the rails and talk about things outside the scope of the game :P

19 minutes ago, TheYoungPyromancer said:

Why do so many people call Hero Hreo?

That was a throwback to QF2: Crushthroat's Beginnings, in which my character was named Hreo. The setting was on Sel before the events of Elantris- we were all pirates on Dreok Crushthroat's crew (Hreo also had a few cameos in LG12, though most of those were in the Elantris PM so you'll have to wait until after this game is over if you want to read them. You might see him in this game, too). I don't know why the name stuck for as long as it did, but for a good while after that people called me Hreo. Nowadays most people call me Hero for short. *shrug* 'Tis the way of nicknames I suppose. 

Seems like in the past, people used to gain nicknames more based off of their RP characters, especially since those RP names were often based on their usernames and already shortened. Nowadays that's a lot less common.

2 hours ago, Herowannabe said:

If you don't feel ready to sign up just yet, you could sign up as a pinch hitter, meaning that in a week or two if a player goes inactive or has to drop out of the game you step in and take over their role/faction/etc. Or, alternatively, you are welcome to watch and get a link to the spectator doc where you can discuss the game with other spectators and players who have died, but in my (admittedly biased) opinion if you have time to read the game and comment on it then you have time to play, too. 

I think for now, I'll sign up to be a spectator. I'm not entirely sure how much time I'll have, so me being a spectator won't cause any problems. Thanks! It looks like a ton of fun.

@Droughtbringer, I'll have to look into the discord group. Thanks!

Edited by Elandera

7 minutes ago, Mraize said:

Congratulations for getting this thread pinned!

Apparently the new policy is to pin any sign-up threads, so there you go. 

1 minute ago, Elandera said:

I think for now, I'll sign up to be a spectator. I'm not entirely sure how much time I'll have, so me being a spectator won't cause any problems. Thanks! It looks like a ton of fun.

Adding you to the list. :)