Long Game 44: Shadows of Elantris Redux

Herowannabe

6 minutes ago, Kidpen said:

Walin took over for Honey Badger.

I did indeed take over for Honey Badger.

I think I value my ability to post in this thread over keeping my self-voting streak. I think that voting on King Cole would give me the best chance to stay alive, so I'm going to do that until we have more evidence on Straw than on Cole. I haven't seen many posts from either, so I don't feel like I can fully commit to either for voting. Thus, I'm going to vote based on numbers, not analysis.

6 hours ago, Walin said:

...Huh. The evidence there points to me being Jeskeri. I did say I was guilty of the death, after all.

But to give real analysis, and to clear me, I’m going to give my alibi that night—I was pretty inactive. I had posted in-thread, but I hadn’t used my Seon. Actually, I haven’t used my Seon much all game. If anyone wants it, I’ll gift it.

For the Jeskeri team, I think they were considering whether to hit Wilson a third time, and then got confused with whether they were doing it and didn’t send any backup orders (in case this confusion happened later in the day). Thus, they didn’t get any orders in until the end of rollover.

Even if I was Jeskeri, I would have no idea that the scan on me was happening. No one in the Jeskeri team so far has been Elantrian through that cycle, and while you could say I’m the non-Elantrian and some other Jeskeri is Elantrian, that wouldn’t make sense for numbers.

Five Jeskeri is a lot. They’d have one more action each night (same number of kills) and would have just as easy of a time as the Derethi, but instead of the reason being two “kills” it would be high numbers.

Possibility 2.b gives me pretty much no way to clear myself, no matter how good my alibi. I’ve got no ability to prove I wasn’t in communication with anybody, since if I was talking to an Elantrian Jeskeri, the only person who can confirm that is them. And then they’d be saying they’re Jeskeri.

Welp, see you all at the end of the game, unless I don’t get the final vote. Anyone willing to vote more on Straw? I’m not going to retract my vote, that’d just ruin my streak I’ve got going. Unless I think I’ve got more stuff to do that could help the village. I’ve got one poison Elantrian vial...

That sounds like someone who’s been thinking through the reasons a lot, and is probably familiar with the real reason... sorry, Walin, but you’re kinda not helping yourself. 

14 minutes ago, little wilson said:

Regardless of what circumstantial evidence may point to Walin, he's almost certainly not Jeskeri. Remember, he took over for Joe. Joe used a Korathi pendant on Seonid and announced it to the thread.

Two things about this: first, I highly doubt a Jeskeri with a Korathi pendant would use it that early in the game. That seems like an unnecessarily foolhardy thing to do.

Second, if you recall, shortly after Joe did this, I mentioned to the thread that if the priest (Seonid) is evil, Joe must be. Joe saw this and voted in himself shortly after that. I'm near-certain Joe caught the implications of what I was saying and were he evil, he would've guessed that Seonid was the priest. And Seonid would've been killed far before he was. Yet he wasn't killed until Len outed him.

This strongly indicates that Joe, and therefore Walin, is not evil. While he's not entirely absolved, there are certainly people we should focus on long before targeting him.

Straw. He'd my biggest suspect right now. I've had an off feeling about him since early on and it feels different this game than the usual Straw-off vibe. He's been hiding/laying low, and that comment during the night about elim numbers left seemed either intentionally misleading or letting on that he has more information than a villager should. One of the two, but it definitely didn't feel village to me.

Additionally, the fact that Seonid didn't die until he was outed to the thread indicates that the remaining elims haven't been paying terribly much attention to the game. Straw fits this perfectly.

Considering Walin didn’t actually take over for Joe, as @Kidpen pointed out, I kinda feel this makes it more likely. 

However, the more paranoid version of me also begins to wonder if Wilson is in fact our Jeskeri, in addition to being a Jindo, which would make a 4-player Jeskeri team perfectly reasonable and fairly well balanced. Of course, I think things like that all the time and it’s not based on evidence at this point, so I’m not acting on that paranoia yet. Walin is the better option for now, I believe.

Walin (3) Cadmium Compounder, Lopen, Jondesu

Straw (1) Little Wilson

King Cole (3) Kidpen(monarch), Walin

Just over an hour remaining until turnover So far it's actually tied if kidpen is actually the monarch.

Yes, because I mixed up our pinch hitters and therefore must be Jeskeri, even though that would mean the team had two Jindos when the village doesn't have a single kill ability to use on the Jeskeri, Seonid scanned me as Arelish, and the Jeskeri attacked me twice. Brilliant deduction, Jon.

17 minutes ago, little wilson said:

Yes, because I mixed up our pinch hitters and therefore must be Jeskeri, even though that would mean the team had two Jindos when the village doesn't have a single kill ability to use on the Jeskeri, Seonid scanned me as Arelish, and the Jeskeri attacked me twice. Brilliant deduction, Jon.

I know, I astound myself sometimes too. :-P

Sarcasm aside, before I wrongly convinced myself that Walin took over for Joe (btw.... Who did? Because I honestly can't remember at this point), I was wondering about him and if the voting for himself was merely a convenient smokescreen.

1 minute ago, little wilson said:

Sarcasm aside, before I wrongly convinced myself that Walin took over for Joe (btw.... Who did? Because I honestly can't remember at this point), I was wondering about him and if the voting for himself was merely a convenient smokescreen.

Coop

The vote appears to be currently tied, but there are still three princes out there. Lopen is one, and will probably shift a vote to Walin. The other two princes could do almost anything.

King Cole hasn't posted in this game since April 18th; more than two weeks ago, with no indication as far as I can tell that he's going to come back. Coop appeared as a pinch hitter on April 21st, after Cole had been inactive for a full cycle. I kind of feel that if King Cole was an eliminator, he would have been subbed out by now. I will thus vote for Walin, as the other main candidate and someone who I am moderately suspicious of.

3 hours ago, Fifth Scholar said:

And that’s the game, folks! Aftermath will be delayed by a few hours but will hopefully be up fairly soon. Well played, everybody.

Oh wait, is that saying that the game is over? I kind of assumed this meant the day was over. Ok then, cool. That confused me more than it had too.

Edited by Kidpen

Finale: Shao

Elantris glimmered as sunset fell over the land. Alone, above Kae and the other surrounding cities, it defied the night for only the second night in many years.

Of course, last night, everyone had been too afraid to watch it. Too afraid of knives in the night, of the wrath of Shu-Dereth, of death.

Tonight, on the other hand...

Tonight, beggar-children climbed every rooftop they could find to sit together and watch Elantris grow brighter as the sky dimmed. Tonight, the nobles climbed to the towers of their high mansions or rolled out in extravagant carriages to get a better vantage point. Tonight, mothers brought their children out in the streets to see the miracle, and tell them stories of the olden days.

Inside the gates of Elantris, the Four Restorers stood in silence. There was work to be done, far more than Kae dreamed - the walls may have been restored, but the scrolls were gone or half-rotted; those Elantrians who hadn’t already discovered the Well and left were few and far between and still coming to their senses. The walls glowed, but their knowledge had been reduced to nearly nothing. They had not even quite cured Aladdin yet, when a decade ago it would’ve taken a few minutes.

That didn’t matter to Kae, though, even if they’d known. Elantris’ return ultimately didn’t mean new miracles and perfect health to them - they’d gotten used to living life without that, in the long years since its fall.

But they watched the silver gleam of the walls of Elantris as night fell, and for the first night in many they felt true hope.

Kainae stood up, stepping down from the wall she had been facing for more time than she cared to admit. She began walking home somberly. Tears still flowed down her cheeks, and she thought of her “meeting” with herself on the wall a day earlier. She was likely mad, hallucinating, seeing visions of her future self that simply didn’t exist. Perhaps she had deserved to step off the wall when she had the opportunity, giving her compromised mind peace in the afterlife, where she could have gone to join Enelan, at his side, where she truly belonged…

No, she said to herself emphatically. You know better than that. She may not clearly understand it yet, but Domi had spared her for a purpose, and she would find that purpose and carry it out. Using the same mental techniques she practiced in ChayShan, Kainae stuffed the morose thoughts of her lover self into the back of her mind, concentrating on her motions, which sped up as she paced towards her house. One, two, one, two… she counted in her head as she rounded a corner. The rhythmic thump of her footsteps and the consistent counting cleared Kainae’s mind, dispelling some of the exhaustion she had felt from kneeling on the wall for nearly a full day.

At last, Kainae took the final left turn and ended in front of her house. She frowned. Her easel was still knocked down from the second confrontation with the Cultists over the course of the last several days. She propped it up, gazing at the crumpled paper with a critical eye. Tearing off the first few sheets, which were damaged beyond repair, Kainae looked at the remainder of her easel. It was still hopelessly bent, the paper unable to be reflattened and the easel itself broken in some places. This would not do. With a sigh, Kainae went to her desk, popping open the center drawer and taking out one of her precious canvases, rigid and undamaged.

Unsure of what she was really doing, Kainae selected colors. The black of mourning and death and evil. A silvery gray, to represent the moonlight under which the Cultists killed. A deep green for nature, which remained in harmony despite human conflict. And finally, white, the color of hope and light. Then, moved by a sudden impulse, she seized the four colors, taking mostly black and grey, and dumped them into the same cup. Letting the mixture settle and mix for just a few seconds, she poured the contents of the cup onto the center of her canvas. The different colors bled outwards, creating patterns and shapes Kainae had no control over. Letting Domi direct the flow of the paint, she stepped back, watching as the colors mixed and spread. Amazingly, not one drop of paint ran off the edge, an occurrence only explainable by Domi. Or Jaddeth. Thoughts of Enelan quickly sprang to mind again, but she smothered them instantly, refocusing on her painting.

It was definitely abstract, Kainae decided. However, two things stood out to her. The coloration was the first: the structure of the gray on the bottom of the painting, the gray-green areas, the black at the top with the strange formation that looked like a bird of some sort. These were the lands owned by the farmer Eoni, viewed at nighttime from the mountains to the east. More specifically, it was his fields, with the strange rock called Eagle’s Jaw jutting out in the middle of them. But why would Domi show her this? Kainae then looked at the center of the painting, where the white paint had formed an Aon.

CCA29B83-0361-4A00-8264-1767A49DF359.thumb.jpeg.c8326fb96e7508330e4f9ac6845930e9.jpeg.aae756754729192fe46ef6b88264425a.jpeg

Shao. Change. Transformation.

A change may be happening in Eoni’s lands today, she mused, but for an Aon to be in the middle of my painting, there must be some other meaning. Perhaps Domi wished to tell her about a major change in the world? Elantris had been restored, a large change that would produce yet more changes in the future, and maybe Domi warned her of this turbulent time.

Or perhaps it was more personal. Kainae herself was changing. She certainly was not the person she was two days ago, when Enelan had been by her side. She was not the fearless Jindo that had chased away the Cultists coming for her. Her love of honor in battle had dwindled since then, after she had fled and run into the other Jindo on the night after. And she was not the artist who sat in her room, alone, painting for hours on end, for Kainae would not be that restful again. She was none of those people, and yet, she saw all of them reflected in her. Lover. Warrior. Artist. Broken. She could transform, had been transforming into something better. Domi would continue her renewal past Enelan’s death. And so would she.

But first, something was going to happen in those fields of Eoni tonight. Kainae left her paints behind, and rushed to find out what it was.

Eoni sat in the fields as the sun began dipping below the horizon. He had finally found the Aon plate, and had decided to destroy it. He walked through the city, carrying the plate, to Elantris’ pool, and dropped the plate in. The Aon itself disappeared, but the plate remained engraved and intact. Well, that would do. Eoni returned to his fields, where a crowd armed with torches and pitchforks had gathered to face him. They had decided to come to his extraordinarily grassy field, and stopped at its edge.

Nigel, who appeared to be acting as the leader of the crowd, spoke. “You’ve been behind the killings! You knew that the Elantrians would see your acts, and you hid from them! Stop this horrid act, and die. We’ve got a message to send to "the Ja”—we don’t accept these sacrifices in this city!”

With that, the mob moved to surround Eoni, pitchforks held at the ready.

“You really shouldn’t have come here.” Eoni said, and flashed a wicked grin. “These fields are mine!

Eoni dropped to one knee and placed his hand in the soil, then began chanting in a strange language...

In strolled across the wall of Elantris in the faint light of dusk, the meeting with the others concluded. He passed a guard, who stopped and saluted him crisply. The Elantrian Guard no longer policed the Elantrians, they served them.

In made his way to the western portion of the wall, and looked out over the fields that stretched between Elantris and Kae. Down there, somewhere, was the secret tunnel leading out of Elantris that they had discovered last week. They still hadn’t had time to do anything about it, but they needed to do something. Board it up, or at least post some guards there.

As In looked down, he noticed something strange about one of the fields. It had been plowed in crazy, twisting patterns. It kind of looked like Aon Shao, but different. Twisted. Different somehow.

Suddenly, the fields lit up with an ominous, red light, forming a pattern. It was Aon Shao, but interspersed with strange modifiers- not like the modifiers used in Aon-Dor. They were reminiscent of the patterns the Jeskeri cultists had been using. Shao meant “change,” but this aon had been altered. Corrupted.

“That can’t be good,” In said, then began running towards the guard he had passed, calling the alarm.

Down in the fields, the crops began writhing and growing at a furious rate. Their lush green color faded away, replaced with a soft red glow. Within seconds Eoni was completely obscured by the corrupted crops, and villagers began crying out in panic as the plants thrashed about, leaving burning welts where they touched skin.

Suddenly Eoni appeared, dashing through their ranks and swinging a twisted dagger. Villagers cried out in panic and dove out of the way, but Eoni didn’t stop to finish them off.

“He went this way!”

“After him!”

The plants pulled away from Eoni as he ran, making a beeline for the rock formation known as the Eagle’s Jaw. Within a couple minutes the formation was in sight, and there, at its base, was the pile of shrubs that concealed the smuggler’s tunnel. Eoni just had to reach that tunnel and he would be in the clear. If the mob tried to follow him he could just collapse the tunnel behind him and bury them all alive.

But before he could reach it, Sheodan burst out of the wall of glowing plants and cut Eoni off. Sheodan was covered with red welts from the plants, but his training as a soldier in Eondel’s army had allowed him to ignore the pain and catch up to the escaping Cultist. 

Sheodan swung his sword at Eoni’s head, but Eoni ducked under the blade and lashed out with his dagger, slashing the soldier across his gut. Sheodan grunted and fell back, clutching at the wound. Eoni growled, and moved to finish the soldier off.

“SHEODAN! NO!!!” The voice came from behind Eoni and he whirled just in time to catch a glimpse of the Elantrian ANGUS before he barreled into Eoni knocking him aside. 

ANGUS dropped to his knees by Sheodan, tears forming in his eyes. He began drawing Aon Ien in the air- he hadn’t yet mastered the healing Aon, but he had to at least try to save his dear friend.

Eoni grabbed his fallen dagger and scrambled back to his feet. He glanced at ANGUS drawing in the air over Sheodan, tempted to rid himself of two foes at once, but he could hear the sounds of the rest of the mob getting closer- they would be here any second. No time.

He turned back to the rock just in time to see another Elantrian, Rhomil, emerging from the secret tunnel, looking surprised and scared of the scene before him. This lone, terrified Elantrian was now all that stood between Eoni and escape. Eoni gripped his bloody dagger and charged forward.

Rhomil’s took in the horrifying scene in front of him. Corrupted, overgrown plants glowing with an evil red light writhed wildly. Sheodan lay on the ground in a spreading pool of blood while ANGUS tried desperately to get the healing Aon to work. And Eoni, who must be the Jeskeri cultist, rushing towards him with a bloody knife in his hand.

Rhomil’s mind raced. He had no weapon- other than Aon-Dor, but he didn’t know any dangerous Aons. He didn’t know how to create fire or stop a man dead in his tracks. All he knew how to draw was Aon Nae, magnifcation- useless- and…

He began hastily drawing in the air, his fingers leaving glowing trails in their wake drawing an aon and including the most powerful modifiers he knew. Eoni was getting closer. A dozen paces. Eight. Five. Two.

Rhomil finished the aon, then closed his eyes and drew the chasm line.

Aon Ashe burst alight with a brilliant white light- brighter than the sun. Eoni screamed, blinded by the shining Aon. He swung his dagger but missed and tripped over a rock. He fell and the dagger was knocked from his hand. He searched frantically with his fingers, trying to blink away the afterimage of the Aon burned into his vision.

The villagers caught up to him first.

As mob seized him and began stabbing him with pitchforks, Eoni gave the best inflamed-throat shout he could. “PRAISE THE JA!"

I hope nobody minds the long write-up, we had multiple people contributing to it and since it was the finale we wanted to make it special. 

@Elbereth wrote the section about night falling on Elantris. 

@Fifth Scholar wrote the part about Kainae painting, and also made the Shao painting. 

@Walin wrote a death scene, part of which made its way into the write-up (In his version he gave up way too easily, and I couldn't let that happen, so I changed it and expanded on it. I hope that's alright, Walin. ;))

If you liked the writeup, make sure to give each of them upvotes!

Walin has been lynched! He was the last remaining Cultist!

The Jeskeri Cultists have been defeated!

Arelon has won!

@Devotary of Spontaneity and @Jondesu/ @Kynedath were lovers, and have won by surviving until the end of the game!

Vote Tally:

Eoni (Walin) (4): ANGUS (Jondesu ), Nigel (TheMightyLopen), Rhomil (Cadmium Compounder), Sheodan (Devotary of Spontaneity)
Bill (King Cole) (3): Amati (Kidpen), Eoni (Walin)
Straw (Straw) (1): Kainae (Little Wilson)

Final Player List:

1. Little Wilson: Kainae the Artist Arelish Jindo Warrior and Former Lover with two Seons, at least

2. A Joe in the Bush/Coop772: Fenot the Alchemist Arelish Citizen with a Seon

3. Eternum: Enerin the travelling storyteller Arelish Citizen with a Seon and Passphrase

4. Steeldancer: Bob the shoe-shiner Shu-Dereth Gyorn with a Seon

5. Straw: Straw the errand-boy Arelish Jindo Warrior with no items

6. Araris Valerian: Elysian the orphaned worldhopper Jeskeri Cultist with Korathi Pendant

7. Elenion: Enelan, the Palace's head chef Shu-Dereth Odiv, Prince, Lover, with a Seon

8. King Cole: Bill the butcher Arelish Citizen with a Jeskeri Pendant and the passphrase

9. Devotary of Spontaneity: Sheodan, a soldier in Eondel's army Lover Dula with two Seons

10. Mraize: Sahin Arehe, heir to the Are Plantation / ex-heir to- / it's complicated / Noble Merchant Arelish Monarch with the passphrase

11. Walin (formerly the Honey Badger): Eoni the grandiose peasant Jeskeri Cultist with a Seon

12. Drake Marshall: Ateshao, an itinerant tinker. Jeskeri Cultist with no items

13. Bort: Daoate, a member of the Elantris City Guard  Arelish Citizen with Jeskeri Pendant and a Seon

14. Randuir: Saoir, the Royal Archivist Arelish Citizen with Korathi Pendant and Passphrase

15. Kidpen: Amati the farmer Arelish Monarch with a Seon

16. Seonid: Sheon Idris, a rockstar trying to get the band back together Arelish Priest with a Seon

17. Dalinar Kholin: Soren Porfiry, procrastinator extraordinaire. Jeskeri Cultist / Jindo Warrior with no items

18. STINK: Imperial Mint, an honest to Domi Mint. Arelish Citizen with the passphrase

19. TheMightyLopen: Nigel, a doctor of some renown Arelish Prince with two Seons

20. Amanuensis: Dio Brando, a vampi- really hot guy. Arelish Priest who had been poisoned

21. Arinian: Eilen the traveler with the mute talking swordArelish Dula who had been poisoned

Elantrians

1. Cadmium Compounder: Rhomil, an indiscriminate merchant Arelish Veteran Elantrian Prince with no items

2. Droughtbringer: In, head of the Patriarch Seinalan fan club Arelish Veteran Elantrian with a Korathi Pendant

3. Jondesu (formerly Kynedath): Angrin Nalti Gu Uda Sandrius (ANGUS), the WikiLeaks of Kae Veteran Elantrian Lover with a Shu-Dereth Pendant

4. Hemalurgic Headshot: Reth Liari, a stereotypical dashing vagabond with enigmatic origins Arelish Veteran Elantrian Prince with the passphrase

5. TheYoungPyromancer: Aladdin, a guy looking for a lamp Arelish Elantrian Citizen with a Seon who had been poisoned

Links

Master Spreadsheet

Spec Doc

Jeskeri Doc

Shu-Dereth Doc

Elantris PM log

GM thoughts to follow in a later post. 

Edited by Herowannabe
added Shu-Dereth doc link and Elantris PM link

That was an amazing writeup.

I’ve got lots to say about this game. My summary—it was loads of fun. I’m on mobile, with little battery, so I’ll post again after the next few people. Thanks for an amazing game, Hero! I interpreted “grandiose” to mean proud of personality, rather than language itself.

First time as an elim, too. That was exciting, though I think I’ll still say I have a full villager record since it was Honey Badger who got the role. Thanks to them, too. This required a lot of activity, so I’m glad this elim team could give its best.

Edited by Walin
I thought I said something but it wasn’t in the post, so I added it in there.

Go read my doc.

anyway, now that you’ve read my doc, you understand that in the middle of the game, I had Elenion, Wilson, Devotary, and Jondesu on my side. I felt unstoppable. If only I had had a Korathi pendant and I would have been!

fun fact- I was the one who used the pendant on Araris. Elenion had his from the start.

so, yeah. I think that was my single best played game. I didn’t do anything wrong, other than being manipulated by a scanner, and what was I supposed to do about that?

devotary and jondesu and Wilson, I’m glad you guys won. I didn’t want you guys to go down on the sinking ship. Still, it was awesome working with you. Elenion, you were a great Odiv. I don’t think I would have changed anything, I’m just not sure how I could have played better, and if I had started with a Korathi pendant, I think I would have stood a really good chance of winning. 

Woah. I'm just going to say congrats to my Elantris compatriot for finding out Walin, and to everyone else for this awesome game! Very cool, and the write ups have always been excellent. Elantris was such a cool place to explore, and I don't regret that it cut me off from the rest of the game.

EDIT: Just read through the Shu-Dereth doc. Wow.

Edited by Hemalurgic Headshot

So awesome!  This was an amazing game to jump into.  I might should have just joined from the beginning, but honestly it might have been better this way, since we didn't have to just watch Kynedath either be inactive or drop out completely. 

Steel, you were great to work with, and @little wilson, sorry for interjecting my paranoia without cause at the end (not really sorry, but hey, it didn't make sense).  I just can't help it.

3 hours ago, Steeldancer said:

so, yeah. I think that was my single best played game. I didn’t do anything wrong, other than being manipulated by a scanner, and what was I supposed to do about that?

devotary and jondesu and Wilson, I’m glad you guys won. I didn’t want you guys to go down on the sinking ship. Still, it was awesome working with you. Elenion, you were a great Odiv. I don’t think I would have changed anything, I’m just not sure how I could have played better, and if I had started with a Korathi pendant, I think I would have stood a really good chance of winning. 

You played a fantastic game, it was a lot of fun to watch. Especially when you were able to recruit both pairs of lovers to work with you and you had essentially 5 players on your team. Unfortunately Seonid also played a brilliant (and very lucky) game, and managed to catch both Elenion and you at the same time with his clever scheme. 

There are only two things that I think you could have done better (and note, this isn’t criticism, this is the musings of the all-knowing GM who was able to watch everything in the game as it unfolded): 

1) Hang on your SD-pendant longer. You used yours pretty quickly to convert Araris (and I know you wanted to swear him as your Odiv but you could have done a regular convert on him too) but if you had held it until late game it would have given team Shu-Dereth almost full control over the vote. Same with Elenion’s pendant. If you had held on to those pendants then you would have had all three SD-pendants (with Jon’s) at your disposal. 

2) You should have converted your enemies first and your allies last. The more of your enemies that are converted, the more control that the SD-pendants give you over the vote, because your allies are going to vote with you anyway. If you had done that and held on to the pendants then you might have still been able to win the game even when Seonid scanned and outed both you and Elenion. 

But again, I have the advantage of knowing all the rules in and out as well as being able to watch the game unfold from behind the scenes, so don’t take this as any sort of criticism. You really did play masterfully and came dang close to winning with a very difficult win-condition. If you had been able to hold out two or maybe even one more cycle before Seonid found you then you would have had it. 

Well played to everyone. Especially Aman. During those first few cycles when I had almost no time to even thunk about the game, I just scanned the list of players he gave me. Turned out to find 2 Jeskeri. That's all on him.

I was pretty sure that our discussion on Shu Dereth was being manipulated, and Lopen was actually my original suspect. No better place to hide than to be the one directing the discussion. Then i suddenly got paranoid about Wilson, because I realized that claiming lovers would be a brilliant way to disguise the Gyorn - Odiv PM. So I scanned Len to check Wilson (who i had already scanned before) and the rest is history. But still, very well played, and I feel that we're even now for LG41. :ph34r:

Walin had felt off to me, so i scanned them the night I died. Good call on killing me that night, even though I might have been protected. (I'll admit to being slightly surprised when I died, but relieved, because I really didn't have time to get as involved as I wanted to. I was slightly more active than my thread contributions indicated, but that was only because I spent my limited available time on my PMs.)

Anyways, good game everyone. I had fun, and I hope everyone else did too.

Hey! So great job to everyone else, especially Seonid and Wilson. I definitely don't think I did horribly for my first game, but I didn't do particularly well either. Does anyone have any particular advice for things I did or didn't do well?

Alright, here's my megapost:

This game was a load of fun. I got to play as an eliminator and conspire with the other ones, and learned how to really hide. I slipped up a lot, such as being too sure in my "reads" and knowing that there were 4 Jeskeri; after Dalinar Kholin died, I thought, "this is where the fun begins." I really think I started to act suspicious, with one slip-up that I reacted to in the doc, on Day 6. I made a lot of “assumptions” about the number of Jeskeri, and kept referring to them as a village kill in the hopes that, if I were found to be Jeskeri, I could work with the village to depose of the Derethi before getting killed the Day phase afterwards.

About the time there weren’t any kills—now, this is the funniest part of the whole game. I broke (or bent) so many rules this game; I counted roughly, and I think I got 6 warnings and reminders from the GM’s and IM, Orlok Tsubodai. I had mentioned I’d edit a post, and was reminded that editing, other than for formatting, was forbidden. At the time I thought I would do the edit promptly enough that no meaning could be changed after people had already assumed the original meaning, but I never post in a timely manner.

Another time, I said I’d PM someone after the timer was extended, and Orlok said that the rollover extension was only for discussion. Another time, on the last Day phase, I brought the game up in the Sanderson Elimination Discord general channel, and was reminded by Elbereth that this wasn’t allowed. The rest weren’t really rulebreaks, and by this point you may be wondering what all this has to do with the Elantrian scan. Ok, so I had been inactive that Night phase, enough that I forgot to send in a kill. Herowannabe sent me a message asking whether I would send in a kill, and I said something like “Oh! Yeah, ok, here’s my kill.” Then, Orlok mentioned in the PM that this was GM interference, so my kill would not be counted. Then, I was like “Ok, makes sense. I mean, it’s just one more Night phase.”

Oh, I had no idea that the Elantrians were scanning me that night. I was incredibly lucky, is all. When I saw your analysis, Cadmium, I was just astounded at how right, and how wrong, the reasons for lynching me were. That was a great accusation, by the way.

And that pretty much sums it up! Great game everybody, especially Steel and Elenion. The Derethi faction came extremely close to winning. Great catch on the Elantrian scan, Cadmium. You won this game 1 to 4 cycles early. Great GMing and IMing, Herowannabe, Fifth Scholar, Elbereth, and Orlok Tsubodai. See you guys next game.

I'm definitely going to read the rules again, more carefully, and scour the rules for each game I'm participating in. A couple of the mistakes I made weren't because of explicitly-laid-out game rules, but I did forget a lot of rules that I ended up not breaking because of my playing style. Sorry to the GM's for doing so much of that stuff. Thanks for keeping me in the right way to play.

Edited by Walin
Accidentally doubleposted; I added the last paragraph recently

Oh wow! Great game everyone! So I was also a prince, and i actually tried to inspire someone to vote for king Cole on the last round. I felt bad for Walin, and wasn't sure if he actually was room, so I inspired someone to vote for king Cole to give you a chance of surviving. Glad that didn't work!

I’d like to echo Walin’s commendation of @Cadmium Compounder. It was really a shame he started in Elantris, because he skewered the Gyorn, Odiv, and two of the Jeskeri cycles before Seonid scanned them. His analysis was well thought out and accurate, and I think I’ll be keeping an eye on him in any future games I play, especially if I finally get to be an Eliminator :ph34r:

As has been stated before, well done to Len and Steel. Your doc was fun to read, and your strategy was great. I especially loved the convoluted way you tried to clear Len with the Jeskeri Pendant. 

The Cultists actually did a pretty great job, all things considered, but they just had terrible luck. Araris had a Korathi Pendant, making him immune to Seonid and Aman’s regular scans, but Aman tried to use the Jeskeri Pendant on him, the only non-Korathi Pendant that could have revealed him. And then Aman died and told Seonid to scan the two other Cultists. But without those scans, the Elims were doing pretty great. Walin and Dalinar were in strong trust positions, Drake wasn’t exactly trusted but he wasn’t appearing on suspect lists either, and they had a cohesive plan to eliminate the village trust circle. While it’s not as verbose as some, you should definitely take a look in the elim doc. I’m totally not biased because they gave me the blood of two moderators. Nope.

Finally, a few miscellaneous thoughts: 

- Congrats to @Hemalurgic Headshot for naming the three exact locations needed to restore Elantris an hour after he was thrown in there. And congrats to the Elantrians for listening to him and restoring it. 

- Well done to all the lovers, especially Wilson, who survived with a huge target on her back, having lived through two (and nearly three) attacks, and one suicide attempt. 

-I was pretty impressed with all our new players. Looking back at my first game (AG4, *shudder*), you three did much better than I did for your first try. You will all be valuable additions to the community, I’m sure, so stick around and sign up for another game if you have the time! LG45 looks promising. 

- The passphrase was “Sel Mates,” for those curious. I knew I wanted to make the phrase a pun, then remembered that Elbereth and I had been Devotion and Dominion at one point in the Shard game, and we were now co-GMing together in an Elantris setting. So it seemed very fitting. (Of course, I kind of killed Devotion in that game, but...just a minor detail, right?)

- Finally, thanks to Elbereth and Hero for making this an easy game to co-GM, and for being supportive and accomadating partners. I mostly didn’t have to worry about writeups thanks to Hero, and El’s well-organized spreadsheet made my part of the job (logging actions and sending notification PMs) very easy. That left me time to focus on extra stuff like art, which I enjoyed a lot. 

Thanks to everyone for playing!

7 hours ago, Seonid said:

I was pretty sure that our discussion on Shu Dereth was being manipulated, and Lopen was actually my original suspect.

It seems I was suspected quite a lot this game. I'm not sure why, really.

It was very interesting seeing all of the behind-the-scenes stuff for this game. I was in on some of it, but there really was a lot of cool stuff going on besides the things I knew about. Well played Steel and Len, you guys were so close. And having both Lover pairs working with the Gyorn is something I did not see coming. Wilson had mentioned the fact that as a Lover she could win with the Gyorn, but I guess I didn't really consider the possibility of the Gyorn actually just straight up claiming to someone who wasn't technically part of his faction.

Speaking of which, sorry again for revealing you and Len were Lovers Wilson. Thankfully you weren't killed(very kind of you Walin), but I'll still be more careful in the future. Turns out I was correct to be worried about the low amounts of votes on Len, because he was gonna try to get me lynched, but still, I could've pushed the lynch using other reasons.

And to the Jeskeri, man, you guys really did have some bad luck this game. Part of it was the excellent scanning by Aman/Seonid, but still, the fact that Aman hit the one Jeskeri who had a Korathi Pendant with his Jeskeri Pendant was just rotten luck. Then the double protection of Wilson. That was pretty strange.

Anyways, great game to everyone, and a big thank you to all of the GM's! Great job with the write-ups every Cycle! I really enjoyed playing, and as an added bonus, I actually survived for the first time in a while! :lol:

Edit: @Cadmium Compounder, looks like we both tried to Inspire Drought to vote for different people, which is why it failed. xD I tried to make him vote on Walin and you tried to make him vote on King Cole.

Edited by TheMightyLopen