Long Game 44: Shadows of Elantris Redux

Herowannabe

2 hours ago, Cadmium Compounder said:

Not true. The lovers fall in love with any kind who saves them Wilson is also now in love with himself, and an unexpected jindo from a couple nights ago. So he has become a lover with himself and one other person, who, as of yet, we still don't know who. Unless I missed something. I have been in elantris after all.

*she, thank you very much

I'm not the last village Jindo. There had to've been three who started in the game, one Jeskeri and two Arelish. Dalinar and I both protected myself the first night I was attacked and saved. I asked the GMs what happens if two Jindos protect a person who's attacked and they said that both are exhausted (which, just so you know, Hero, I have major beefs with for balance purposes because that's ridiculously unprecedented and should've been made clear at the start of the game). Therefore, Dalinar and I were both useless the second night I was attacked, and yet I was still saved. By a third Jindo. I was hoping this third Jindo would protect Seonid last night, but alas, they did not. I, meanwhile, protected myself and will therefore be saved from lover-death when Len dies to the lynch. This will not turn me neutral, btw. This will turn me village. Apparently if a Jindo saves themselves from lover-death, they don't become in love with themselves. They return to their original alignment and win con.

Also Lopen. Why? Why did you reveal that? What was the point? To make me a target and kill me? Thanks, but no thanks. You've just incited my ire. You really shouldn't have done that.

1 hour ago, little wilson said:

*she, thank you very much

I'm not the last village Jindo. There had to've been three who started in the game, one Jeskeri and two Arelish. Dalinar and I both protected myself the first night I was attacked and saved. I asked the GMs what happens if two Jindos protect a person who's attacked and they said that both are exhausted (which, just so you know, Hero, I have major beefs with for balance purposes because that's ridiculously unprecedented and should've been made clear at the start of the game). Therefore, Dalinar and I were both useless the second night I was attacked, and yet I was still saved. By a third Jindo. I was hoping this third Jindo would protect Seonid last night, but alas, they did not. I, meanwhile, protected myself and will therefore be saved from lover-death when Len dies to the lynch. This will not turn me neutral, btw. This will turn me village. Apparently if a Jindo saves themselves from lover-death, they don't become in love with themselves. They return to their original alignment and win con.

Also Lopen. Why? Why did you reveal that? What was the point? To make me a target and kill me? Thanks, but no thanks. You've just incited my ire. You really shouldn't have done that.

Really sorry about that. I thought you were going to die when Len was lynched. I didn't realize that the Jindo protects from lover-death from a lynch. I was hoping Len would die during the Night so you could survive, but since he didn't I thought it wouldn't matter if I revealed it. Only reason I revealed it was because part of Len's defense was using you as an alibi and I wanted everyone to know it wasn't reliable. Honestly, I didn't think there was any point in withholding this.

8 hours ago, TheMightyLopen said:

Really sorry about that. I thought you were going to die when Len was lynched. I didn't realize that the Jindo protects from lover-death from a lynch. I was hoping Len would die during the Night so you could survive, but since he didn't I thought it wouldn't matter if I revealed it. Only reason I revealed it was because part of Len's defense was using you as an alibi and I wanted everyone to know it wasn't reliable. Honestly, I didn't think there was any point in withholding this.

Rules are a good thing to read before revealing things about other people:

Jindo Warrior

You are practiced in the martial art of ChayShan. You are IMMUNE to the Shaod. In addition, you may perform the following action:

Guard (Night Action): Choose one player to guard- you may target yourself. That player is protected from the Cultist kill, lover-death, and any form of death EXCEPT the lynch until the next night phase begins.

The Jindo Warrior’s guard action is the only known way to prevent lover-death. In the unlikely event that this happens, the surviving Lover becomes smitten with their “savior,” and the surviving Lover and the Jindo Warrior instantly become Lovers.

Or, ya know, you can just assume I'm 100% loyal to my lover when I'm Jindo and could survive it, and therefore turn on me and open me up to attack and death and loss. That's cool too.

Hello everyone, my activity will be very low over the next few days because I have a musical I am performing in on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday, and rehearsals until then will be long and intense. I might be able to check in every once and a while, but not for very long. However, my activity will resume around Sunday. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Night 7: Ene

5ae94d8990a60_ScreenShot2018-05-01at10_14_48PM.png.0ae72edd3457c6f32ea22a69d300621e.png

Enelan, Jaddeth’s last living representative among these heathens, sat at the desk of his former master. In his hands he held a Seon, not the one that his hroden had left behind, but his own. He did not have the authority to call upon Wyrn, and even if he had he did not want to burden the ears of his prophet with ill tidings. Instead, he communed with a Derethi arteth that he had sent to spy on the mobs.

“Hold on, we have movement,” the arteth reported, “Confirmed that they are headed for the chapel, just as you anticipated.”

“Thank you. Please return to the chapel.”

Enelan turned to the other arteths, “Prepare for siege! These heathens have rejected our wisdom, but let us ensure that they cannot turn Jaddeth away lightly!”

The arteths sprang into motion, energized by their devotion to Jaddeth and Enelan’s religious fervor. The Derethi chapel was sparse by design, not full of ornamentation that could easily be used for a barricade, but the doors were soon braced. As the last chairs were tossed onto the barricade, a crash came from the doors, followed by the pounding of fists. The mob had arrived. Voices could be heard through the ruckus, “Death to Enelan! Praise the Ja! Jaddeth is a fraud!”

“Arteths, sing some hymns to Jaddeth and overpower these blasphemies!” Enelan ordered.

The arteths began to chant, and to Enelan the yells of the mob were drowned out. After what felt like an hour, the pounding stopped and the yells quieted. The chants of the arteths continued.

Enelan returned to his Seon and called on his spy. The unfortunate arteth had been stuck outside of the chapel when the siege began.

“What’s going on out there?”

“They’ve gone to get a battering ram.”

Enelan frowned. “Thank you, arteth. You’ve served me well.”

When the mob returned with a ram, they found the doors to the chapel slightly ajar. A small group ran up to the doors and peered inside, wary of ambush. Nothing. No sign of movement. They swung the doors open, and saw the remains of a barricade now moved to the sides of the doorway. Still no sign of ambush. They signaled to the others, who dropped the ram and silently followed the advance party into the chapel.

The chapel itself was completely dark, all lights extinguished save for a single one that shone directly behind the podium at the front. A man could be seen at the podium, hands at his sides. Enelan, the last leader of the Derethi faith in Arelon.

“There he is!” Nigel said, “Take him!”

“If it is the will of Jaddeth that I die, so be it,” Enelan said. “Remember, my converts, and listen when Jaddeth calls, so that you do not fall with this nation.”

That said, he wasn’t planning on going down without a fight.

The mob charged Enelan, some more hesitantly than others. But there were also many eager for his blood.

There were too many of those. Enelan’s arteths, who had hid undiscovered along the walls of the darkened chapel, engaged them as they came, but they were quickly dispatched by the ferocity of the mob. Enelan hated to see his loyal followers fall, but at least they had died in the service of Jaddeth. He would do that as well. He carried no weapons, but charged the mob’s remnants anyway. He dropped one or two with well-placed punches, guided by his training in Ghajan monastery, but the weight of the crowd bore him to the ground.

“I regret that I have but one life to give in the service of Jaddeth! RAZE THE JA!”

As the mob carried on its work of destruction inside the Shu-Dereth chapel, a lone figure hung back, with tears in their eyes. Enelan may have been a priest of Jaddeth, but he was still a good man. A great man, even. One of the best there was. At least, the lone figure thought so. Enelan had held a very special place in the figures heart. He could not be replaced. The world would never be the same without him. And with a breaking heart, the lone figure decided that this new world was not one they cared to live in. They turned and left the mob behind.

A short time later, the figure reached the top of Elantris’s wall. The walls were much more crowded now that the city had been restored. People came from all over to gawk at the glowing buildings and tried to catch a glimpse of the Elantrians inside. The figure worked their way through the crowds until they found a spot that was mostly isolated. They looked over the edge, into the city. The guard-wall was barely more than waist high. It would be easy to climb a top it and then simply… step off. A few brief seconds of flight, and then they could go to join Elenan in the afterlife. The figure climbed atop the wall.

“In the Do-Keseg,” someone said. Their voice held a Jindoese accent. “Keshu wrote that ‘a man does not truly die when his body ceases breathing. He lives on in the hearts of those who love him.’”

The figure turned to find a person in a robe with a hood that concealed their face. “You! You were with the mob, weren’t you. You followed me here.”

The robed Jindo ignored the accusation, and said, “It would be a shame to let Enelan’s memory die for true. The memory of the man he really was.”

The figure atop the wall spoke, choking back a rush of tears. “I- That is a burden I don’t think I can bear.”

“You can. The soul is stronger than you think. Your heart will heal, and you will learn to stand again. In the meantime, if you need someone to help you bear the grief, I will gladly volunteer.” The jindo reached out a hand invitingly, then waited.

After several long moments, the figure atop the wall took the Jindo’s hand.

Enelan (Elenion) was lynched! He was a Shu-Dereth Odiv, a Prince and a Lover! He possessed a Seon which has passed to a heir.

Enelan’s lover was saved from death by a Jindo Warrior!

Elenion was the last member of the Shu-Dereth Faction. With his death, Shu-Dereth is defeated. All converts have lost their convert status.

Vote Tally:

Enelan (Elenion) (7): Amati (Kidpen), In (Droughtbringer), Nigel (TheMightyLopen), Rhomil (Cadmium Compounder), Sheodan (Devotary of Spontaneity)

Eoni (Walin) (1): Eoni (Walin)

Nigel (TheMightyLopen) (1): Fenot (Coop772)

Updated Player List

1. Little Wilson: Kainae the Artist

2. A Joe in the Bush: Fenot the Alchemist

3. Eternum: Enerin the travelling storyteller Arelish Citizen with a Seon and Passphrase

4. Steeldancer: Bob the shoe-shiner Shu-Dereth Gyorn with a Seon

5. Straw: Straw the errand-boy

6. Araris Valerian: Elysian the orphaned worldhopper Jeskeri Cultist with Korathi Pendant

7. Elenion: Enelan, the Palace's head chef Shu-Dereth Odiv, Prince, Lover, with a Seon

8. King Cole: Bill the butcher

9. Devotary of Spontaneity: Sheodan, a soldier in Eondel's army

10. Mraize: Sahin Arehe, heir to the Are Plantation / ex-heir to- / it's complicated / Noble Merchant

11. Walin (formerly the Honey Badger): Eoni the grandiose peasant

12. Drake Marshall: Ateshao, an itinerant tinker. Jeskeri Cultist with no items

13. Bort: Daoate, a member of the Elantris City Guard  Arelish Citizen with Jeskeri Pendant and a Seon

14. Randuir: Saoir, the Royal Archivist Arelish Citizen with Korathi Pendant and Passphrase

15. Kidpen: Amati the farmer

16. Seonid: Sheon Idris, a rockstar trying to get the band back together Arelish Priest with a Seon

17. Dalinar Kholin: Soren Porfiry, procrastinator extraordinaire. Jeskeri Cultist / Jindo Warrior with no items

18. STINK: Imperial Mint, an honest to Domi Mint.

19. TheMightyLopen: Nigel, a doctor of some renown

20. Amanuensis: Dio Brando, a vampi- really hot guy. Arelish Priest who had been poisoned

21. Arinian: Eilen the traveler with the mute talking swordArelish Dula who had been poisoned

Elantrians

1. Cadmium Compounder: Rhomil, an indiscriminate merchant

2. Droughtbringer: In, head of the Patriarch Seinalan fan club

3. Jondesu (formerly Kynedath): Angrin Nalti Gu Uda Sandrius (ANGUS), the WikiLeaks of Kae

4. Hemalurgic Headshot: Reth Liari, a stereotypical dashing vagabond with enigmatic origins

5. TheYoungPyromancer: Aladdin, a guy looking for a lamp

pur_1525309200.png

EDIT: Note that we're back to the normal rollover time, so this turn is a little shorter than normal. If that is a problem for anyone remember that you can request a time extension.

EDIT2: Also, thanks to @Elenion for the bulk of the write-up. Make sure to go upvote one of his posts. ;) 

Edited by Herowannabe

Let's look for some Jeskeri, now, shall we? Good game to the Shu-Dereth faction--we almost lost there. With some good-timed scanning by Seonid, we got some great info, and are now going to have at least thirteen more cycles before the Jeskeri could kill us all, compared to two with the Derethi conversions.

Thank you, Seonid, and may you have lived yet for our accusations of you. Also, Elenion, you defended yourself very well. If it weren't for the fact that we didn't have many other suspects, and the pretty clear evidence, you would be the most cleared person. Steel, you played well, and while you were a suspect, I didn't think you'd be found as the Gyorn via a lynch train. Well, excluding the fact that Seonid had scanned you, etc.

Basically, the people who got lynched or sacrificed from this game played very well and I thank those who are good at analysis for bringing us this victory.

----

Eoni sat in the fields, with some of his crops already growing. He had hired an Elantrian to come during the day (they didn't look so shiny then, so the lingering distrust of them was hideable from at a distance) and put some Aons in his soil. The dirt really did taste good, but Eoni considered the rich taste of the fruits and grasses themselves once they grew fully.

Before the crowd had gathered to discuss their anger, he sent the Elantrian on their way, who nodded like a true noble. Must have been a noble Elantrian like the noble soilmover I am. This was going to be an interesting night, what with the slightly glowy soil and such. Hopefully he could still send Aons around without tracking dirt everywhere.

Maybe he could just walk around so much his foot-dirt became citytype rather than fieldtype. He always did like a dual-typer, they really could tank attacks from super-effectives. Especially Earth and Rocktype, those were good. Dashes and hyphens removed to avoid copyright issues while applying fair use, chuckle. What a clever noble dirt farmer I am....

Well, it looks like it’s basically impossible for the Jeskeri to win. After all, if the lone Jeskeri played perfectly (all lynches are mislynches, no kills are blocked) then the game would end on Day 14. Even then, the Jeskeri would have only a 50% chance of winning, due to the fact that both players would vote for each other, resulting in one of them being randomly lynched.

28 minutes ago, Straw said:

Well, it looks like it’s basically impossible for the Jeskeri to win. After all, if the lone Jeskeri played perfectly (all lynches are mislynches, no kills are blocked) then the game would end on Day 14. Even then, the Jeskeri would have only a 50% chance of winning, due to the fact that both players would vote for each other, resulting in one of them being randomly lynched.

Hmm... is it bad if I just want to let day 14 happen and keep exploring Elantris and find all the secrets? :P

1 hour ago, Straw said:

I'm curious, but do you have some way to be sure of there only being one more Jeskeri?  We can guess at distribution, but I haven't seen anything that would make it exceptionally likely that there's only one.  There could be two, or possibly even three if there's something unaccounted for in the previous guesses.

Does anyone know who Seonid was trying to scan last night, before he died? It may have been mentioned, but I can't remember. And I'm too lazy to go back and look

1 hour ago, Droughtbringer said:

Hmm... is it bad if I just want to let day 14 happen and keep exploring Elantris and find all the secrets? :P

Haha, I strangely agree. I wonder what secrets we can learn! 

Edited by Cadmium Compounder

Yeah, there is a reasonable probability of having two more Jeskeri, but I’m guessing there’s only one. If there are two Jeskeri, and they play perfectly, then the game would still last until Day 14, but the Jeskeri would win. However, if one of them died, the single Jeskeri situation would play out.

1 hour ago, Straw said:

Yeah, there is a reasonable probability of having two more Jeskeri, but I’m guessing there’s only one. If there are two Jeskeri, and they play perfectly, then the game would still last until Day 14, but the Jeskeri would win. However, if one of them died, the single Jeskeri situation would play out.

If there are two Jeskeri left and we can't lynch even one of them before Day 14, we deserve to lose.

Day 8 - Eda

Imperial Mint lounged on his “throne,” near the brink of sleep and pondering on his greatness. The lowly rabble that ruled this run-down country had refused to grant him a title of nobility, but that would obviously change soon. After all, how could they refuse to acknowledge him as their superior when they were doing such a poor job of ruling this nation themselves? Religious dissension, maniacal killers sacrificing men to dark gods, and a miraculously restored glowing city were just a few of the internal difficulties Kae was facing. The new Elantrians especially troubled Mint. Despite vague assurances from a few “Monarchs,” Mint didn’t know if they could truly trust all the people coming from the new city. Oh well. Mint didn’t really care much, of course. He was just here for the power he would ultimately be granted (and really, that would just be a formality, he had all the true power in this miserable city anyway), and any difficulties the current rulers were facing were of no concern to him.

“Attendant!” Mint called. “Go tell the crowd that has undoubtedly gathered outside to cease their inane demands for breath mints, lest their true king come and strike off their heads for their insolence!” He waited for a moment, but no reply came. “Attendant?”

The door to his chambers opened, but instead of the portly, well-dressed man who normally attended Mint, a handful of surly-looking fellows in dark robes emerged from the bedroom instead. Mint frowned. What trick was old Edokai playing now? He spoke to the men facing him, intoning in his best kingly voice, “Come now, bow before your true king. Remove your gloomy countenances from your veiled faces, and bow lengthily to your great monarch, the Mint Imperial.” The men continued to step forward, not bowing. Mint’s patience snapped. “I don’t know what prank this is, but it’s not amusing in the slightest. I shall see to it that all of your heads are removed by this morning, if not before then,” he said irritably.

The man in the front stopped in front of Mint, eyes twinkling in amusement. “You are mistaken, your majesty.” He drew out the honorific, saying it in a drawling voice. “By this morning, it shall be your head that is missing from your shoulders.” He nodded to another one of his robed companions, and Mint heard the sound of a sword being unsheathed. Out of the corner of his eye Mint saw the blurred arm of the Cultist in motion, and the glint of his silver sword, then Mint’s head fell to the floor and he saw no more.

When Edokai returned in the morning, after a long night out drinking, he found the following message written in his master’s blood.

OUR DEBT IS REPAID

STINK Imperial Mint was killed! He was an Arelish Citizen who knew the passphrase to the secret tunnels.

Nobody was taken by the Shaod!

The cycle will end on 5 May, at 7:00 PM MDT. I can’t get this countdown to work, sorry. Thanks El :) 

bla_1525482000.png

Updated Player List

1. Little Wilson: Kainae the Artist

2. A Joe in the Bush: Fenot the Alchemist

3. Eternum: Enerin the travelling storyteller Arelish Citizen with a Seon and Passphrase

4. Steeldancer: Bob the shoe-shiner Shu-Dereth Gyorn with a Seon

5. Straw: Straw the errand-boy

6. Araris Valerian: Elysian the orphaned worldhopper Jeskeri Cultist with Korathi Pendant

7. Elenion: Enelan, the Palace's head chef Shu-Dereth Odiv, Prince, Lover, with a Seon

8. King Cole: Bill the butcher

9. Devotary of Spontaneity: Sheodan, a soldier in Eondel's army

10. Mraize: Sahin Arehe, heir to the Are Plantation / ex-heir to- / it's complicated / Noble Merchant

11. Walin (formerly the Honey Badger): Eoni the grandiose peasant

12. Drake Marshall: Ateshao, an itinerant tinker. Jeskeri Cultist with no items

13. Bort: Daoate, a member of the Elantris City Guard  Arelish Citizen with Jeskeri Pendant and a Seon

14. Randuir: Saoir, the Royal Archivist Arelish Citizen with Korathi Pendant and Passphrase

15. Kidpen: Amati the farmer

16. Seonid: Sheon Idris, a rockstar trying to get the band back together Arelish Priest with a Seon

17. Dalinar Kholin: Soren Porfiry, procrastinator extraordinaire. Jeskeri Cultist / Jindo Warrior with no items

18. STINK: Imperial Mint, an honest to Domi Mint. Arelish Citizen with the passphrase

19. TheMightyLopen: Nigel, a doctor of some renown

20. Amanuensis: Dio Brando, a vampi- really hot guy. Arelish Priest who had been poisoned

21. Arinian: Eilen the traveler with the mute talking swordArelish Dula who had been poisoned

Elantrians

1. Cadmium Compounder: Rhomil, an indiscriminate merchant

2. Droughtbringer: In, head of the Patriarch Seinalan fan club

3. Jondesu (formerly Kynedath): Angrin Nalti Gu Uda Sandrius (ANGUS), the WikiLeaks of Kae

4. Hemalurgic Headshot: Reth Liari, a stereotypical dashing vagabond with enigmatic origins

5. TheYoungPyromancer: Aladdin, a guy looking for a lamp

Edited by Fifth Scholar

14 players left. It appears that we need to have an actual lynch, rather than being able to kill the player who was scanned as evil.

Little Wilson: Seon, Seon, Jindo Warrior, Lover with Self
A Joe in the Bush/Coop772: 
Straw:
King Cole:
Devotary of Spontaneity: Seon, Dula 
Droughtbringer: Veteran Elantrian
Mraize:
The Honey Badger/Walin: Seon
Kidpen: Seon, Monarch
Cadmium Compounder: Veteran Elantrian
Kynedath/Jondesu: Veteran Elantrian
TheYoungPyromancer: Seon, poisoned
Hemalurgic Headshot: Veteran Elantrian
TheMightyLopen: Seon, Prince, Seon?

The Elantrians have restored Elantris and are now able to talk in thread, so they can be fully added to the Jeskeri suspect pool. Do any Elantrians want to add to HH's statement that you considered each other allies?

Well, looks like someone just died. I am to blame. Walin.

On a discussion note, I think that we should either start PM'ing people more (talking to myself, there, since I haven't used my Seons until a few cycles ago) or get people to claim and see if their claim is true or not by careful analysis.

------

Eoni saw that the crops started to give some grain, which was pretty good for just 24 hours. Some Elantrians must be sneaking in to continue to grow his plants, because he wasn't at his farm earlier. It made little sense, so perhaps it was simply the proximity to the city--there were about two city-streets between the dirt and the city wall.

I have a good feeling about my fellow Elantrians, @Devotary of Spontaneity, so yeah, I kinda consider them allies. I’m always wary of course, but we’ve pretty openly discussed plans with each other in the Elantris PM and no one’s tried to do anything suspicious yet. I’m at least semi-confident there aren’t any Elims among the Elantrians, with the possible exception of Pyro, who is new there. I don’t particularly suspect them either, though.

The Elantrians are all fairly trusting of each other. Of course none of us are going to discount that another one of could be jeskeri, but we trust each other enough to work together. At least for now.