Long Game 44: Shadows of Elantris Redux

Herowannabe

Well, looks like there's only one thing left to do: lynch Seonid and end the game.

Of course, that's if there are no Jeskeri left. We didn't get a count on that, but I assume they would still be out there. There had to be more than three. Does anyone still have a Jeskeri Pendant? We could use that as a rudimentary one-use scan, if Seonid dies this night due to competing Jeskeri. Whether we find any Jeskeri, I would like to prolong this game as long as possible, so that we'll get Elantris restored by the end of the game. So, the goals for me are: Kill, if possible, the Odiv (who we think is Seonid), and second, find Jeskeri, and third, kill them once there are no less than two non-Shaod-taken people by the last Day cycle. We could kill the Jeskeri as soon as we can; there could be two left. That'd be the safest option. However, we could convince them to reveal their teammate so they can remain alive for longer. Either way, if Seonid doesn't turn out to be the Odiv, it's going to be quite a ride in the last few cycles, finding the Odiv.

6 minutes ago, Walin said:

Well, looks like there's only one thing left to do: lynch Seonid and end the game.

2 minutes ago, Kidpen said:

Lynch Seonid? Don't we think it is Len?

At least to me it appears likely that it's Seonid, but I'm not certain. I'm glad I have at least one voice on my side.

The way I see it, Jeskiri kill Len this time, if he is not the Odiv, we lynch Seonid, and everything turns out great. Of course, I doubt the Jeskiri will kill Len, and they might be gone at this point. Who knows. If there are definitely more Jeskiri, we should kill them first.

My recommendation is that we jeskeri pendant Len, and lynch him if nobody does that.  By all means, if he comes up village, lynch me.

However, just to note for you. Lopen can confirm the entire plan. I came to him with my scan on Len at the start of the day, and when Len pmed me asking about the scan results, I told Lopen every step of my intrigue.

Finally, I was the one that got Len to start the bandwagon. Ask yourselves - is it more likely that I got my Gyorn lynched - when we were within a few days of winning and neither of us were under suspicion - or that Len saw the writing on the wall and tried to bus his outed-via-scan teammate in the hopes of gaining enough trust to avoid getting scanned/lynched?

The thing is, it's not possible for me to be the Odiv. Seonid confirms I'm non-Convert, so if his alignment reading really was right then that would mean I was made the Odiv while I had the Pendant. Based on the convert tallies we know that N4 there was a double-converted Odiv out there with the ability to make a conversion, which could only be the case if the Odiv was made N3. (See this post of Devotary's). For the Odiv to be made the Odiv N3, the Pendant had to have been passed to them N2. But that's not possible: I passed the Pendant away N2! The earliest the Pendant could have been returned to me was N3, making the earliest I could have been made Odiv N4, making the earliest I could have made a conversion N5. But the Odiv made a conversion N4: one cycle earlier than I could have if I was the Odiv!

3 minutes ago, Elenion said:

The thing is, it's not possible for me to be the Odiv. Seonid confirms I'm non-Convert, so if his alignment reading really was right then that would mean I was made the Odiv while I had the Pendant. Based on the convert tallies we know that N4 there was a double-converted Odiv out there with the ability to make a conversion, which could only be the case if the Odiv was made N3. (See this post of Devotary's). For the Odiv to be made the Odiv N3, the Pendant had to have been passed to them N2. But that's not possible: I passed the Pendant away N2! The earliest the Pendant could have been returned to me was N3, making the earliest I could have been made Odiv N4, making the earliest I could have made a conversion N5. But the Odiv made a conversion N4: one cycle earlier than I could have if I was the Odiv!

Two things. 1: Do we know you passed the pendant N2? Who confirmed they got a pendant? 2: Why do you care? If you die and are village, we kill Seonid. The fact that you are arguing so hard for this makes me feel like you're an Odiv just trying to survive for as long as possible.

I will send a PM to an Elantrian to check restoration progress.

Just now, Kidpen said:

Two things. 1: Do we know you passed the pendant N2? Who confirmed they got a pendant? 2: Why do you care? If you die and are village, we kill Seonid. The fact that you are arguing so hard for this makes me feel like you're an Odiv just trying to survive for as long as possible.

I will send a PM to an Elantrian to check restoration progress.

Wilson can confirm she received the Pendant, and she still has it. Also, I couldn't have been made Odiv by that point, so why would I want to lie about that as a villager? And I'm not entirely sure that Seonid is guilty. I'm not getting the vibe of an elim trying to get a villager killed, I'm getting the vibe of a fellow villager who somehow got a bad scan result and is acting on it. Hence why I have a theory that there's a scan changer out there. We've seen a role like that before: in the MR I just barely won the Escaped Inmates had a player that could change what their target scanned as. Sure, it could be that he's just lying about what he saw, but it could also be that the scan was tampered with and so you'd end up lynching me as village and then Seonid as village. Hence why my defense is not "reasons why Seonid is guilty" but "reasons I have to be innocent".

1 minute ago, Elenion said:

Wilson can confirm she received the Pendant, and she still has it. Also, I couldn't have been made Odiv by that point, so why would I want to lie about that as a villager? And I'm not entirely sure that Seonid is guilty. I'm not getting the vibe of an elim trying to get a villager killed, I'm getting the vibe of a fellow villager who somehow got a bad scan result and is acting on it. Hence why I have a theory that there's a scan changer out there. We've seen a role like that before: in the MR I just barely won the Escaped Inmates had a player that could change what their target scanned as. Sure, it could be that he's just lying about what he saw, but it could also be that the scan was tampered with and so you'd end up lynching me as village and then Seonid as village. Hence why my defense is not "reasons why Seonid is guilty" but "reasons I have to be innocent".

Which reiterates my question from before: How often are there secret roles when the players aren't explicitly told that there are some? Because if that happens often, then sure, but I don't know enough to make a judgement based on a potential role.

1 minute ago, Kidpen said:

Which reiterates my question from before: How often are there secret roles when the players aren't explicitly told that there are some? Because if that happens often, then sure, but I don't know enough to make a judgement based on a potential role.

Let me go grab a few examples of games with secret roles. I skipped a few games before getting active again recently, so they might be older but I can already think of a few. Joe in particular is famous for games like that:

In QF23 the GM was able to be targeted by the Marry action. Marrying the GM would cause you to be able to see parts of the elim doc.

In MR20 the only eliminator was a Mistborn, a secret combination of all Allomantic roles.

In MR17 a secret role called the Carved Red had an extra life and a vigilante kill, and won if he reduced the elims and village to something like 2 players each.

In MR16 I picked up a secret role partway through the game that gave me a kill each cycle.

MR16 hinted that there could be a secret role. MR20 Joe warned us that the distribution might be strange. QF23 and MR17 there was no warning beforehand that I'm aware of. In addition to these are games where it was said outright that there were secret roles, and there are more of these than I want to list.

14 hours ago, Seonid said:

My recommendation is that we jeskeri pendant Len, and lynch him if nobody does that.  By all means, if he comes up village, lynch me.

However, just to note for you. Lopen can confirm the entire plan. I came to him with my scan on Len at the start of the day, and when Len pmed me asking about the scan results, I told Lopen every step of my intrigue.

Finally, I was the one that got Len to start the bandwagon. Ask yourselves - is it more likely that I got my Gyorn lynched - when we were within a few days of winning and neither of us were under suspicion - or that Len saw the writing on the wall and tried to bus his outed-via-scan teammate in the hopes of gaining enough trust to avoid getting scanned/lynched?

Exactly this. No way would Seonid do all of this if he was the Odiv, and it's clear he's not Jeskeri.

Len, it's totally possible for you to be the Odiv. Wilson can't clear you of anything.

Day 7 - Rao

Aon_Rao.png.5c37731b29199e69a4e7a0c28afaa31d.png

The Jeskeri stood in the dark streets- the moon was not out tonight, so only the stars lit their way. No lanterns were on in the boarded-up windows of the small chapel, where the priest, Sheon Idris, slept. Fanning out in a circle that surrounded the chapel, each Cultist stood near a boarded window. The leader’s hand rose into the air, two fingers pointing skyward in a wordless command, and with the silence and precision of professional killers, the boards came off the windows one by one. Sheon still slept, unaware of the robed figures surrounding him, his sword loose in his drowsy grip while boards were silently removed, all around him.

However, one Jeskeri’s hand slipped as he cut a board, and it clattered to the ground with a dull clangor. Swearing as Sheon began to stir, the leader angrily urged his men forward with a muffled cry, and the Jeskeri burst through the windows at Sheon. The bleary-eyed priest attempted to fight, catching one Jeskeri in the elbow with his sword, but the sheer weight of numbers facing him was too much, and his sword fell to the ground, along with the hand that wielded it. Gasping in pain, Sheon attempted to speak to the leader of the Cultists. “Why are you doing this?” he choked between short, shuddering breaths. “I’ve taught nothing but peace...unity...joy...how am I a threat? Why do you sacrifice me on a pagan altar?”

The leader glanced down at the priest’s wretched state. “Because you have found two of my comrades, and led men to kill them. That is why you must die. You are too perceptive for your own good, priest. And tonight, there is no Jindo who can help you.”

Spinning to his companions, the leader made a slight motion, and two men sprang forward, dragging Sheon to his own altar and tying him there with ropes, ignoring his squirming and struggling. Sheon looked up with terrified eyes as the leader raised his knife and gazed heavenward.

“At long last...to Dominion, the Fifth Scholar.”

The knife descended. Dominion looked from his heavenly perch, pleased with the offering he had been sent.

The cultists took their time, reveling in the bloody sacrifice, until one of the lookouts came rushing into the chapel, looking like she had seen a ghost. She said,  “You better come see this.”

The Odiv strode about the chapel, his anger kindled against his congregation after the death of his Hroden. He paced across the room, speaking with a fiery air about repentance in Jaddeth for killing one of His holy Gyorns. These people would come to true belief. That way, Jaddeth could return to the world, and he, the Odiv of Bob, would be the one who reaped the largest reward.

Suddenly, the Odiv’s sermon cut off mid-sentence. His eyes were fixed, staring at the large window that hung over the heads of the parishioners. “Jaddeth send that it be not so…” he muttered.

All across the city, people stumbled out into the streets, woken from their sleep by the cries of their neighbors. All eyes turned to the west, fixed on the towering walls and buildings of Elantris, which now glowed like a beacon in the night.

Somehow, miraculously, Elantris had been restored to its former glory.

Aladdin looked at his skin, which was beginning to glow the same color as Elantris. He marveled, amazed at his good fortune. Will I really become an Elantrian on the day of its restoration? he wondered with joy.

Suddenly, his skin stopped glowing. Aladdin’s jaw dropped as his body began to develop black splotches, and his hair began dropping to the ground. Oh, Merciful Domi, he thought. What have I gotten myself into now?

Sheon Idris (Seonid) was killed! He was an Arelish Priest with a Seon! His Seon has passed to an heir. He was also a convert to Shu-Dereth.

Aladdin (The Young Pyromancer) was poisoned!

Elantris has been restored! The Elantrian players are now allowed to post and vote in the main thread. They will fill you in on any other details, if they wish to. ;)

Convert Tally: 10/16

Updated Player List

1. Little Wilson: Kainae the Artist

2. A Joe in the Bush: Fenot the Alchemist

3. Eternum: Enerin the travelling storyteller Arelish Citizen with a Seon and Passphrase

4. Steeldancer: Bob the shoe-shiner Shu-Dereth Gyorn with a Seon

5. Straw: Straw the errand-boy

6. Araris Valerian: Elysian the orphaned worldhopper Jeskeri Cultist with Korathi Pendant

7. Elenion: Enelan, the Palace's head chef

8. King Cole: Bill the butcher

9. Devotary of Spontaneity: Sheodan, a soldier in Eondel's army

10. Mraize: Sahin Arehe, heir to the Are Plantation / ex-heir to- / it's complicated / Noble Merchant

11. Walin (formerly the Honey Badger): Eoni the grandiose peasant

12. Drake Marshall: Ateshao, an itinerant tinker. Jeskeri Cultist with no items

13. Bort: Daoate, a member of the Elantris City Guard  Arelish Citizen with Jeskeri Pendant and a Seon

14. Randuir: Saoir, the Royal Archivist Arelish Citizen with Korathi Pendant and Passphrase

15. Kidpen: Amati the farmer

16. Seonid: Sheon Idris, a rockstar trying to get the band back together Arelish Priest with a Seon

17. Dalinar Kholin: Soren Porfiry, procrastinator extraordinaire. Jeskeri Cultist / Jindo Warrior with no items

18. STINK: Imperial Mint, an honest to Domi Mint.

19. TheMightyLopen: Nigel, a doctor of some renown

20. Amanuensis: Dio Brando, a vampi- really hot guy. Arelish Priest who had been poisoned

21. Arinian: Eilen the traveler with the mute talking swordArelish Dula who had been poisoned

Elantrians

1. Cadmium Compounder: Rhomil, an indiscriminate merchant

2. Droughtbringer: In, head of the Patriarch Seinalan fan club

3. Jondesu (formerly Kynedath): Angrin Nalti Gu Uda Sandrius (ANGUS), the WikiLeaks of Kae

4. Hemalurgic Headshot: Reth Liari, a stereotypical dashing vagabond with enigmatic origins

5. TheYoungPyromancer: Aladdin, a guy looking for a lamp 

ora_1525230000.png

Edited by Herowannabe
added player list and countdown timer

Now that Elantris was stored, Eoni could finally plant some stuff. He wandered across the city to get some seeds. It would be pretty good if he could buy some from an Elantrian, but he knew that wouldn’t happen. Being a high-up peasant like him, he was above the Elantrians.

@Droughtbringer Hero hinted heavily to me that the Elantrians had figured some stuff out that we hadn't. I'm not asking you for all of your secrets, but is there any way that an Elantrian Odiv could have converted outside of Elantris? If I can find the real Odiv, then I can clear myself.

At the end of last cycle I was about to send a PM to a person I had been talking to for the entirety of the Night, but I got cut off by personal stuff and I don't want to reopen that PM just for this. To them: The answer to your question is Lopen.

53 minutes ago, Kidpen said:

Yay! Elantris was restored. Doesn't really matter that Pyro was poisoned now. Interesting that we are now told about it.

Well, "Pyro was taken by the Shaod" probably wouldn't have worked, because I don't think there is a Shaod anymore.

@Herowannabe What effect will Pyro being poisoned have? Will he be able to post in-thread like an Elantrian, or will he be locked in the city and only have the abilities of a pre-restoration Elantrian?

3 minutes ago, Elenion said:

@Droughtbringer Hero hinted heavily to me that the Elantrians had figured some stuff out that we hadn't. I'm not asking you for all of your secrets, but is there any way that an Elantrian Odiv could have converted outside of Elantris? If I can find the real Odiv, then I can clear myself.

At the end of last cycle I was about to send a PM to a person I had been talking to for the entirety of the Night, but I got cut off by personal stuff and I don't want to reopen that PM just for this. To them: The answer to your question is Lopen.

Well, "Pyro was taken by the Shaod" probably wouldn't have worked, because I don't think there is a Shaod anymore.

@Herowannabe What effect will Pyro being poisoned have? Will he be able to post in-thread like an Elantrian, or will he be locked in the city and only have the abilities of a pre-restoration Elantrian?

Well... do we have a rough idea of when Steel was converted? I have some stuff that I could potentially reveal, but I'd want to clear it with the other Elantrians, first

4 minutes ago, Elenion said:

Now when a player is Poisoned they are quarantine to Elantris so that their strange disease can be treated and studied. In game terms, Poison vials still work exactly the same now as they did before, and Poisoned players are under all the same restrictions that they were under before (including not being able to post in the main thread), except now it is obvious to everybody that they have been poisoned instead of taken by the Shaod.