WoK Chapter 69 Epigraph Explained (spoilers!)

sariahsue

Anyone else reread the Way of Kings epigraphs after finishing Words of Radiance?  I did!  And look what I found: 

“All is withdrawn for me. I stand against the one who saved my life. I protect the one who killed my promises. I raise my hand. The storm responds.”  

I think this is fairly obviously referring to Kaladin defending Elhokar, and it got me wondering if any of the other epigraphs have been explained in the second book.  Anyone else pick up on something?

I believe this was mentioned in another epigraph thread.

However, if

“Above the final void I hang, friends behind, friends before. The feast I must drink clings to their faces, and the words I must speak spark in my mind. The old oaths will be spoken anew.”

is referencing Kaladin's Second Ideal, and the above epigraph is Kaladin's Third Ideal, maybe all of the Ideals are represented in the first book's epigraphs (or Death Rattles).

I'm not certain if you have seen it, but someone else pointed out that 'True Glory' is referenced in one the WoK epigraphs, as well.

Anyone else reread the Way of Kings epigraphs after finishing Words of Radiance?  I did!  And look what I found: 

“All is withdrawn for me. I stand against the one who saved my life. I protect the one who killed my promises. I raise my hand. The storm responds.”  

I think this is fairly obviously referring to Kaladin defending Elhokar, and it got me wondering if any of the other epigraphs have been explained in the second book.  Anyone else pick up on something?

What I liked the most about this is that the chapter title refers to "the one who killed my promises." Also, the more I think about this Death Rattle, the more I am impressed by how accurately it fits. 

On the topic of Words of Radiance epigraphs maybe foreshadowing events from book #3, I'll have to disagree. The reason the ones from The Way of Kings predict what's going to happen in the future is because the Death Rattles are caused by Nergaoul, the Unmade whose gift for seeing into the future is best developed. WoR epigraphs - and the book itself, for that matter - don't feature any Death Rattles.

Edited by Argent

What I liked the most about this is that the chapter title refers to "the one who killed my promises." Also, the more I think about this Death Rattle, the more I am impressed by how accurately it fits.

On the topic of Words of Radiance epigraphs maybe foreshadowing events from book #3, I'll have to disagree. The reason the ones from The Way of Kings predict what's going to happen in the future is because the Death Rattles are caused by Nergaoul, the Unmade whose gift for seeing into the future is best developed. WoR epigraphs - and the book itself, for that matter - don't feature any Death Rattles.

Isn't it Moelach?

“They come from the pit, two dead men, a heart in their hands, and I know that I have seen true glory.”

Shallan and Kaladin coming out of the Chasms with the Gemheart

“I see them. They are the rocks. They are the vengeful spirits. Eyes of red.”

a great one predicting the Anger spren with red eyes lurking around watching.

Edited by Releaser

“They come from the pit, two dead men, a heart in their hands, and I know that I have seen true glory.”

Shallan and Kaladin coming out of the Chasms with the Gemheart

I see them. They are the rocks. They are the vengeful spirits. Eyes of red.”

a great one predicting the Anger spren with red eyes lurking around watching.

I thought this one referred to the Thunderclast.

Did anyone else recognize this while reading WoR? I was either lucky, or unlucky as it turns out, but as soon as I saw WoR chapter 62 "The One Who Killed Promises", I knew it would tell me who the old WoK quote was about. And once I knew it was Kaladin, there was no suspense about him getting his powers back; the quote showed him doing something magical with a storm. I was still worried Syl was dead though! I thought he might get a new spren and Syl would just be gone.

Lets see what I can find by rereading the death rattles. Leaving out obvious references like naming the Everstorm and someone seeing Shadesmar.

“They break the land itself!” he hissed, eyes wild. “They want it, but in their rage they will destroy it. Like the jealous man burns his rich things rather than let them be taken by his enemies! They come!”

This might be the Listeners causing the crash between the Everstorm and the Highstorm.

"He watches!" the boy hissed. "The Black piper in the night. He holds us in his palm... playing a tune that no man can hear!"

Maybe Hoid manipulationg events.

“The burdens of nine become mine. Why must I carry the madness of them all? Oh, Almighty, release me.”

Can death rattles be of the past? If yes, this ought to be the Taln contemplating the other 9 Heralds leaving him and would in turn prove that his torture was multiplied.

Looking back on it, there is so much intereting stuff that might be foreshadowing here. Gets me all tingly.

Ah, I was too just thinking about this. However, I missed this thread and posted in the old one. Well, I guess I better share my thoughts here:

I think it refers to Syl when she was still trying to protect Kal from the highstorm (and the STormfather) in the chasms after Kal betrayed his oaths and most of her intelligence and memories were withdrawn from her:

And a small figure, all white, standing before him with hands forward, as if to part the tempest for him. Tiny and frail, yet as strong as the winds themselves.

Ah, I was too just thinking about this. However, I missed this thread and posted in the old one. Well, I guess I better share my thoughts here:

I think it refers to Syl when she was still trying to protect Kal from the highstorm (and the STormfather) in the chasms after Kal betrayed his oaths and most of her intelligence and memories were withdrawn from her:

Wait, wait. Isn't this what Kaladin describes when he's thinking back to being strung up in the Highstorm and he describes Syl standing before him, trying to shield him from the storm?

Wait, wait. Isn't this what Kaladin describes when he's thinking back to being strung up in the Highstorm and he describes Syl standing before him, trying to shield him from the storm?

I'm tired and misread your post. May be you are right and it is a memory. 

Edited by Aleksiel

• Chaos locked this topic