[OB] Ending *spoilers*

Wishell

24 minutes ago, IronBars said:

Ya thats all true in a manner, but its a bit of a stretch to say nothing happens in that year skip that could cause any of what you said, if as you imply nothing of significance happens in that year then there is no point in the time skip to begin with is there ?

Can't skip a year and the characters not of changed atal, 

I'm not saying nothing is changing, but I doubt anything super important will happen.

The point with a time-skip would be to allow stuff to happen off-screen. This is most likely stuff that is important, but not hugely important. The Alethi might establish new military bases on different places. New Radiants may show up, and as such we won't need to have ten different introduction scenes for each one. Some political stuff might happen as well. I suspect that the time-skip will be setting the stage for a lot of super-important things in Book 4.

The only way I see Shallan sorting herself out is an argument between two of her personalities, after all her mini-meltdowns in Kholinar didn't do it so I doubt anything less will.

I don't think that will be skipped, something will happen though

Spoiler

similar to the renewing of Elantris. Reawakening the city was nice to see but not vitally importan

5 hours ago, Calderis said:

Here's what Brandon had to say on it. 

I think most likely, it's going to be a time of solidification for both sides. Necessary action to progress in war, but boring to read. 

Ya that makes sense, once the characters don't remain stagnant though, thats my main worry with time skips

9 hours ago, IronBars said:

I mean by the time a year passes, surely the likes of kaladin will be on 4th/5th ideal,shallan surely would of sorted herself out a bit, completed her mission regards sja anat, Dalinar be surely on 5th ideal, Adolin (if he is gonna) should of revived maya, Renarins role should of got clarity, bridge 4 should have more radiants, as well as other radiants showing up, list goes on and on....

I don't think the later oaths are suppose to be that easy to swear.  When the Skybreakers were explaining theirs to Szeth, they acted like almost no one got to the 4th or 5th ideals.  And between Kaladin and the old windrunner who left a message gem, the 4th seems very difficult as well.

7 hours ago, Calderis said:

I think most likely, it's going to be a time of solidification for both sides. Necessary action to progress in war, but boring to read. 

This reminds me of Sigzil's POV chapter.  He's in accountant mode and asking good, if boring, questions about how the camp should be organized religiously, where married troops should live, how much everyone should get paid, etc.

I think it'll be some war progress/army building (serious coalition this time?), but also some societal changes settling down.  There was a lot of upheaval in the class system with the absence of the parshmen to do menial tasks.  Plus the Vorin church is slowly being undercut, which might have crazy repercussions. 

Edited by Zellyia
I lose track of threads while writing my own posts

1 hour ago, Zellyia said:

I don't think the later oaths are suppose to be that easy to swear.  When the Skybreakers were explaining theirs to Szeth, they acted like almost no one got to the 4th or 5th ideals.  And between Kaladin and the old windrunner who left a message gem, the 4th seems very difficult as well.

Ya but kaladin knows the words for the fourth ideal, in a year you would imagine he would of reconciled things to the point he could swear it, least in my opinion, Dalinar for instance is on his 4th ideal already, in 6months ? Not a stretch to say he would be on his 5th after a year gap, Szeth on his 4th after few months (will most likely need to choose a different 4th ideal, i know) Shallan in a year surely of coming to terms with her 4th truth etc, while expecting them all to of progressed is probably to much, expecting none to of progressed is not believable

2 hours ago, IronBars said:

Dalinar for instance is on his 4th ideal already, in 6months ?

Dalinar is only at the third. The only person we have confirmed as higher than that is Shallan. 

Hoidonalsium [PENDING REVIEW]

In that one long rejection of Odium, how many Oaths did Dalinar swear before merging the Realms? And is "I am Unity" the fifth.

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

No, that is not an Oath. He swore one ideal in that experience.

Hoidonalsium [PENDING REVIEW]

Okay. How many Oaths is he on?

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

The number you think. So, he should have just finished three, right? Or maybe four. I'll have to go look. It's the number that you think it is. I'm not being sneaky on you. There's nothing sneaky there. He doesn't get armor, so I can't remember where he is... He should be at three. "Life before death." "I will unite instead of divide." "I will stand up each time I fall." Yeah, so he's done three.

source

9 minutes ago, Calderis said:

Dalinar is only at the third. The only person we have confirmed as higher than that is Shallan. 

Dalinar was on his 3rd after WoR i thought ? And fourth was in OB then ? 

Isn't there a WoB post WoR saying they were all on 3 except shallan was one ahead ? That would make Dalinar on his fourth after OB ? Or am i getting mixed up ?

22 minutes ago, IronBars said:

Dalinar was on his 3rd after WoR i thought ? And fourth was in OB then ? 

Isn't there a WoB post WoR saying they were all on 3 except shallan was one ahead ? That would make Dalinar on his fourth after OB ? Or am i getting mixed up ?

That WoB only mentions her and Kaladin. Dalinar swore his second at the end of WoR. 

For reference. 

tganchero (paraphrased)

How many oaths can a Radiant swear?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

There is an upper-limit/threshold to the number of oaths a Radiant may make. By the end of WoR, Shallan was a step higher than Kaladin.

source

3 hours ago, Andy92 said:

I have a gut feeling Jasnah is at 4 at least, and 5 wouldn't surprise me. 

I think She is a full Radiant by how She reply to Shallan when She proclamed herself as Radiant.

But yeah Jasnah is at least at 4th Oath based by her (extremely likely) Shardplate scene.

In theory also Shallan is able to summon the Plate...if She overcome her troublesome mind

• Chaos locked this topic