Good twinborn combos?

QuaN7umVo1D

1 hour ago, Quantus said:

Im still a huge fan of the Double Tin, because I think two slightly different Sensory increases would, I think, do a lot to mitigate the downsides.  A-Tin grants sensory increase in all 5 normal senses, including low-light vision, but it's all or nothing and easy to fall to savantism.  However, you could flair A-tin while filling 4 of 5 of your Tin-Minds and only ever have to worry about over-exposure to the sense you are actually looking for.  Meanwhile Compounding means you never have to worry about being blind&deaf, etc while filling your Tin-Minds.  

As a Bonus:  The Tin Twinborn Worldhopper goes to Nalthis, borrows a large supply of Breath for a single Day, and fills a Metalmind with Life-Sense.  There-after, via compounding, the Twinborn has an unlimited supply of that Sense, long after they give the Breaths back.  

To add to your Breath shenanigans, what about the perfect color recognition? would that ability to see precise colors also be compoundable with tin? what about Perfect Pitch? are they augmentations to sight and hearing, or different senses? would storing sight with perfect color cause that stored sight to be incompatible with previous, "normal" sight, requiring a different Tinmind? I have so many questions so suddenly! :o

On 9/4/2019 at 6:13 PM, Halyo_Alex said:

To add to your Breath shenanigans, what about the perfect color recognition? would that ability to see precise colors also be compoundable with tin? what about Perfect Pitch? are they augmentations to sight and hearing, or different senses? would storing sight with perfect color cause that stored sight to be incompatible with previous, "normal" sight, requiring a different Tinmind? I have so many questions so suddenly! :o

A worldhopper who's whole schtick was going around collecting different Senses would be all kinds of interesting.  Im curious what the limits are... 

We know you can store Life Sense, Steel/Iron-Sight, and even A-Bronze.  Im not sure if you could store the Temporal Vision abilities of burning Gold or Electrum, though Im going to go out on a limb and say you cannot store Atium since it might get the temporal sense but not the Expanded Mental Capacity that Atium grants to actually interpret and use all that branching temporal input.  Im confident you could store the Perfect Color Recognition and Perfect Pitch, though it's a very good question whether that would require a separate Sight or Sound Metalmind.  Regrdless I dont see much downside in the twinborn segregating them just to be safe.   

Im trying to think of other possible Cosmere Senses you could try to store...  We havent yet seen all that much on Roshar that would qualify as a Sense, though I think there are hints at Lightweaving having an Awareness element (Shalan accidentally draws some True things, and Renarin's whole Inverted Precognition thing).  You could probably store the Spren-vision of a Horneater alaii'iku but given that it's a genetic trait you'd need to pull some Medallion or Spike shenanigans to make it happen.  

One of the more tactically interesting things I can think of is the Combo possibilities of the Dor.  The Dor (and to some extent every Dor-based magic) is describes as hacking the Source Code of the Cosmere itself.  Unlike most magics it has nearly unlimited customization possibilities (AonDor especially).  So there is almost certainly more than one Dor-based Sensory upgrade you could get, and by the Dor's nature it's going to be highly customizable. And the really cool thing is that the Twinborn (TinBorn?) would only have to experience it once to store and compound it, after which he could use it anywhere in the Cosmere!  That's right baby, Dor effects fueled by Preservation!

Edited by Quantus

4 hours ago, Quantus said:

A worldhopper who's whole schtick was going around collecting different Senses would be all kinds of interesting.  Im curious what the limits are... 

We know you can store Life Sense, Steel/Iron-Sight, and even A-Bronze.  Im not sure if you could store the Temporal Vision abilities of burning Gold or Electrum, though Im going to go out on a limb and say you cannot store Atium since it might get the temporal sense but not the Expanded Mental Capacity that Atium grants to actually interpret and use all that branching temporal input.  Im confident you could store the Perfect Color Recognition and Perfect Pitch, thought it's a very good question whether that would require a separate Sight or Sound Metalmind, though I dont see much downside in the twinborn segregating them just to be safe.   

Im trying to think of other possible Cosmere Senses you could try to store...  We havent yet seen all that much on Roshar that would qualify as a Sense, though I think there are hints at Lightweaving having an Awareness element (Shalan accidentally draws some True things, and Renarin's whole Inverted Precognition thing).  You could probably store the Spren-vision of a Horneater alaii'iku but given that it's a genetic trait you'd need to pull some Medallion or Spike shenanigans to make it happen.  

One of the more tactically interesting things I can think of is the Combo possibilities of the Dor.  The Dor (and to some extent every Dor-based magic) is describes as hacking the Source Code of the Cosmere itself.  Unlike most magics it has nearly unlimited customization possibilities (AonDor especially).  So there is almost certainly more than one Dor-based Sensory upgrade you could get, and by the Dor's nature it's going to be highly customization. And the really cool thing is that the Twinborn (TinBorn?) would only have to experience it once to store and compound it, after which he could use it anywhere in the Cosmere!  That's right baby, Dor effects fueled by Preservation!

The Listerner's sense to hear the rhythms.

6 minutes ago, MountainKing said:

The Listerner's sense to hear the rhythms.

Oooh, that's an interesting one.  One the one hand it should work, but on the other hand its basically a secondary effect of having a Gemheart conduit to the Spiritual Realm, which might be too weird?  Hopefully we'll get more details on how it functions as we learn more about how the Parshman were created/maimed.  

9 hours ago, Quantus said:

Oooh, that's an interesting one.  One the one hand it should work, but on the other hand its basically a secondary effect of having a Gemheart conduit to the Spiritual Realm, which might be too weird?  Hopefully we'll get more details on how it functions as we learn more about how the Parshman were created/maimed.  

Well, copperclouds can cut off a Listener's ability to hear the rhythms, so it's definitely magical in some way. In fact, A-Bronze sense is described as being "familiar, yet odd" when compared to rhythm sense. So it'd probably be fair game for a tinmind.

• 4 weeks later...

I'd go A-Brass/F-Zinc. Quickly think through problems with the ability to sooth my way out of situations, making Intuitive leaps on what emotion to soothe what emotion.  

Double zinc would work the same, but there's a WoB out there that compounding can be dangerous to stop once started, and another I believe stating that a zinc compounder runs the risk of becoming stuck in an "eternal moment of thought". Definitely wouldn't want that. So the brass/zinc offers much the same benefit without the negatives of compounding. 

On 9/2/2019 at 5:46 PM, Tglassy said:

I don’t know if there’s a source, but I feel like Brandon said if a Pewter compounder stored the excess strength while burning Pewter, then when he taps the strength in the pewtermind, he would not get bigger, because Alomantic Pewter doesn’t get bigger, only stronger. If you did it this way, then began compounding based on the stored Alomantically enhanced strength, then you could have near infinite strength without worry of your muscles getting bigger.  You could have a second Pewtermind with you that you compounded the normal way, which you continuously tap (since it is near infinite as well) and always have the perfect physique. 

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

Allomantic pewter strength can be stored in a metalmind, but it's probably easier to just Compound.

Edited by StanLemon

On 10/2/2019 at 9:07 PM, Kelkamer said:

I'd go A-Brass/F-Zinc. Quickly think through problems with the ability to sooth my way out of situations, making Intuitive leaps on what emotion to soothe what emotion.  

Double zinc would work the same, but there's a WoB out there that compounding can be dangerous to stop once started, and another I believe stating that a zinc compounder runs the risk of becoming stuck in an "eternal moment of thought". Definitely wouldn't want that. So the brass/zinc offers much the same benefit without the negatives of compounding. 

I like that idea. I've thought on the advantages of A/F-Zinc, and I think having brass would be a better thing than the potential downsides of "an eternal moment of thought." Though, being stuck in an "eternal moment of thought" (I like that phrase. I'm keeping it.) has upsides as well, for those who enjoy it. Muse over all the Cosmere theories in an instant.

But another option is, for combat, rather than diplomacy, A-TIn/F-Zinc. Pull some savantism, and gain what Spook had but with enhanced mental capacity. A-Atium, if it existed, would be probably the worst with F-Zinc, followed by iron/steel. In fact, most Allomantic powers would be enhanced greatly with F-Zinc. Steel, Iron, with pushes and pulls, pewter would gain less though, Bronze and Copper probably little. Bendalloy and Cadmium, maybe? On bubble location, or maybe just how fast it's burning, how much it changes it. Or just use A-Bendalloy with any Feruchemy and get enhanced storage time. Gold also little, Electrum actually a lot. Not up with Atium, but definitely up with Tin, as you have faster processing time of all your options you'd already be thinking about. F-Zinc is powerful.

• Chaos locked this topic