Theory: Last Chapter Stormlight Archive (Mistborn Spoilers)

zandi

Just a random phrase that caught my attention.

“You happy,” Adolin said, laughing. “You’ve got a face like a storm! I half think you could frighten off a storm.”

It could be a distant foreshadowing about Kaladin -> Fleet.

Edited by Lizzardborn

Okay, I'm going to add Mistborn spoilers to the title of this topic, considering the fact that we've basically spoiled the whole ending of the book. I know that a lot of you have been very conscientious with your use of spoiler tags, and I thank you for it. Just keep in mind everyone, some people who have read Words of Radiance have not yet read Mistborn, and I'd prefer not to rob them of the experience of reading Mistborn without knowledge of what will happen. Thanks! :)

I can see Dalinar reforging Honour and someone else picking it up.

I'm not convinced a shard can be reforged. Hoid said something 'offhand' about a soul shattered into pieces that can't be reforged, and I got the sense he was referring to Shards/ Adonalsium. Then again, Hoid might just have the wrong information.

Congratulations, Zandi! I think you've found it! But if it really is the last chapter of the series, I think this pasage refers to sometime later than the climax. Rather, to the time when Kaladin's body finally succumbs to death, long after the race (the series' battles and conflicts) has been won. The storm(light) has ceased to surge within his veins, but his soul rises to race the wind with the windspren. Kaladin will have become an idea, the dark-eyed champion who saved the world from Hatred - the "Kaladin-spren"!

I'm not convinced a shard can be reforged. Hoid said something 'offhand' about a soul shattered into pieces that can't be reforged, and I got the sense he was referring to Shards/ Adonalsium. Then again, Hoid might just have the wrong information.

There is WoB that Splintering can be reversed:

Mason Wheeler

And a while ago, someone asked you if Splintering was permanent or reversible, and you said that it can be reversed.

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah.

(source)

Wouldn't reforging Honor mean the end of spren? No more Syl. No more pattern.

I know Brandon wouldn't mind killng off characters here or there, but mass genocide seems a bit dark for him.

I don't think so.  I think the Spren pre-date Odium's shattering of Honor.  Spren, and Radiants, exist in the visions that Dalinar sees.  And it seems likely that the events occurred before Honor was shattered (otherwise Honor wouldn't have been able to pick which events to record for the future).  Ergo, Spren exist regardless of whether or not Honor is intact.

I don't think so.  I think the Spren pre-date Odium's shattering of Honor.  Spren, and Radiants, exist in the visions that Dalinar sees.  And it seems likely that the events occurred before Honor was shattered (otherwise Honor wouldn't have been able to pick which events to record for the future).  Ergo, Spren exist regardless of whether or not Honor is intact.

Plus, there are Void(Odium)-spren, and Cultivation-spren, neither of which have been shattered.

Edited by rhandric

That story really applies to a KR.

"Life before death."

Fleet lived, and ran, and died.

"Strength before weakness."

Fleet was strong at the start of the race. So was the Storm.

"Journey before destination."

Fleet ran the journey before making it to the destination.

And then there's the whole thing about this: Fleet ran. He was a runner. Perhaps even a Windrunner, really. Like Kaladin. I think you may be correct in the interpretation of this.

• 2 years later...

I think that we're looking in the wrong place with the Fleet story.

In my mind there are two places that the ending could be held.

Theory 1
The desolations come in cycles. I can see the ending scene being the similar tos the Prelude, with the Heralds again abandoning the Oathpact - though perhaps for a different reason (because it isn't needed any more). This way, the ending would have been shadowed from the start, and the series would tell the story of the Heralds' redemption after their initial abandonment.

Theory 2
Kaladin takes up the shard of Honor.

"Honor is dead, but I'll see what I can do."

This makes me think of him, somewhat reluctantly, taking up the shard, and trying to do the best job he can with it. It would be a very small foreshadowing, but damnation if that quote isn't awesome.

4 hours ago, Demoux said:

Theory 2
Kaladin takes up the shard of Honor.

"Honor is dead, but I'll see what I can do."

This makes me think of him, somewhat reluctantly, taking up the shard, and trying to do the best job he can with it. It would be a very small foreshadowing, but damnation if that quote isn't awesome.

If this theory happens maybe at end of the first 5 stormlight or maybe after the entire series but i bet he'd be like the same state like Rashek/Vin with limited powers of the shard (well not VIn that actually  became the official shard at the end of mistborn but when she first ascended at WoA) or maybe a special case where he becomes the shard holder but he doesn't hold all of honor or it's not possible for him. Rather he holds the biggest part of honor in which he's a weakened shard.

I feel like it won't be like Vin taking up preservation fully or Sazed ending up with double shards. It also fits better to the "but i'll see what i can do" and the theme of struggle that Kaladin has so far, like being always against an overwhelming odds.

On 3/19/2014 at 2:42 AM, junior said:

It makes sense to me a bit. Like Honorsprens and other Honor-related sprens are bits of Honor. Reversing the splintered effect might really require whoever gonna take up honor to absorb every bit he could of Honor.

Indeed that seems too dark but also poetic like, all sprens related to honor have to make a sacrifice and cease to exist forever for the sake of the return of honor and redemption of mankind(at least in Roshar).

Edited by goody153

10 minutes ago, goody153 said:

If this theory happens maybe at end of the first 5 stormlight or maybe after the entire series but i bet he'd be like the same state like Rashek/Vin with limited powers of the shard (well not VIn that actually  became the official shard at the end of mistborn but when she first ascended at WoA) or maybe a special case where he becomes the shard holder but he doesn't hold all of honor or it's not possible for him. Rather he holds the biggest part of honor in which he's a weakened shard.

I feel like it won't be like Vin taking up preservation fully or Sazed ending up with double shards. It also fits better to the "but i'll see what i can do" and the theme of struggle that Kaladin has so far, like being always against an overwhelming odds.

It makes sense to me a bit. Like Honorsprens and other Honor-related sprens are bits of Honor. Reversing the splintered effect might really require whoever gonna take up honor to absorb every bit he could of Honor.

Indeed that seems too dark but also poetic like, all sprens related to honor have to make a sacrifice and cease to exist forever for the sake of the return of honor and redemption of mankind(at least in Roshar).

Not all the spren would have to die.

1. Radiantspren are pieces of Honor and Preservation.

2. As shown by the visions, Honor witnessed the Recreance 

3. Honor was alive at the Recreance, and obviously before that.

4. Radiants existed when Honor was alive.

So, at best, Kaladin would have to be reminiscent of Vin and inhale all the Stormlight in the Highstorm to ascend. At worst, a significant fraction would have to join to become Honor.

30 minutes ago, Stormgate said:

So, at best, Kaladin would have to be reminiscent of Vin and inhale all the Stormlight in the Highstorm to ascend. At worst, a significant fraction would have to join to become Honor.

I mean for sure Cultivation spren are unaffected but if ever Kaladin somehow actually transcends to become sliver of Honor then i doubt it would be as easy as Vin, it wouldn't be creative and we already had that with Mistborn. And the end of all sprens of honor in exchange sounds like bittersweet(idk the correct term)

17 hours ago, Stormgate said:

I think you mean Cultivation?

19 hours ago, Stormgate said:

Even though I agree with you, that COULD have been Honor sending a vision of a future he knew would happen. I do think he was alive at that point, but because of shardic future sight, it's not necessarily for certain.

13 minutes ago, Eki said:

Even though I agree with you, that COULD have been Honor sending a vision of a future he knew would happen. I do think he was alive at that point, but because of shardic future sight, it's not necessarily for certain.

Honor would have said something if the Recreance was a future vision of his (I don't recall what lines he had during that vision).  He did mention that he left the precognition stuff to Cultivation. 

On 3/13/2014 at 7:47 PM, Trevalion said:

It does have the ring of being the end of Kaladin's story, but the Stormlight Archive is bigger than just his story.  Not that I have a better answer!

I agree with you, it could be Kaladin sacrifices himself to stop the current everstorm, and that ends the first half of the SA. We know there is a 10 year break that takes place on Roshar between 4th and 5th(?) books. Perhaps what you have found is the end of the first half. I wonder if Kaladin's body dying but not his spirit could imply him gaining control of a shard or becoming like Kelsier? Would be interesting to see him pulling strings from beyond, or even granting powers to radiants or something cool like that. 

10 minutes ago, BaoTheWyld said:

We know there is a 10 year break that takes place on Roshar between 4th and 5th(?) books. 

For the sake of clarity, we know that there is a gap of some amount of time between Stormlight Archive book 5 and book 6. The series is a 10-book epic fantasy broken into two parts: 1-5 and 6-10. We do not, as far as I know, have a solid number on how much of a time gap exists between book 5 and 6.

4 minutes ago, CaptainRyan said:

For the sake of clarity, we know that there is a gap of some amount of time between Stormlight Archive book 5 and book 6. The series is a 10-book epic fantasy broken into two parts: 1-5 and 6-10. We do not, as far as I know, have a solid number on how much of a time gap exists between book 5 and 6.

Thanks, I thought I heard a WoB a while back that specified it as 10 years. Either way, I am sure we will get a pretty epic conclusion to the first half and a cliff hanger to bring us into the second. Should be a lot of fun. I expect the body count to get quite high, I like how Brandon hasn't shied away from axing his mains in the past. 

what about those obvious foreshadow epigraphs? You know, " But it is not impossible to blend Their surges to ours in then end. It has been promoted and it can come. Or do we understand the sum? We question not if they can have us then, But if we dare to have them again. "

or " There has to be an answer. What is the answer? Stop. The Parshendi. One of them. Yes, they are the missing piece. Push for the Alethi to destroy them outright before this one obtains their power. it will form a bridge. "

or even  "Hold the secret that broke the Knights Radiant. You may need it to destroy the new orders when they return."

• Chaos locked this topic