[OB] Its the Little Things

Niteshado

I just want to take a second to admire all the little things in the Brandons world.

So far my favorite is Ash, and how i JUST realized how little parts in the books involve her. TWoK's interlude that i did not for the life of me understand, about a woman breaking into a palace to break statues...was actually a Herald. 

How is OB, they remark at only 9 Herald statues in the hallway. I love the little things.

Anyone have any favorites?

Edited by Niteshado

• Niteshado changed the title to [OB] Its the Little Things
16 minutes ago, MountainKing said:

Which character is Jezrien

In the Prologue. The drunk that Szeth encounters who says "have you seen me?" just before Szeth enters the room with the statues of the Heralds... From which Shallash's statue is conspicuously missing. 

It's all been there from the start. 

2 hours ago, Calderis said:

In the Prologue. The drunk that Szeth encounters who says "have you seen me?" just before Szeth enters the room with the statues of the Heralds... From which Shallash's statue is conspicuously missing. 

It's all been there from the start. 

It was really cool to see that that fan theory was right after all that time. I have no idea who really tried to guess it in the first place, but kudos to them for calling it.

17 hours ago, Khyrindor said:

It was really cool to see that that fan theory was right after all that time. I have no idea who really tried to guess it in the first place, but kudos to them for calling it.

Having just searched through several pages of results, it took them a while to connect the dots. They were heavily influenced by that Jezrien = Stormfather connection for years.

Earliest reference to the Beggar being a Herald(that I can find) is this, back in 2011:

Spoiler

Prologue, pg 11 & 12

A man with a long grey and black beard slumped in the doorway, smiling foolishly - though whether from wine or a weak mind, Szeth could not tell.

so it isn't mentioned if the man is bald or not, but Ishi/Ishar is the only Herald with a long beard (Jezrien's is close cropped).

"Have you seen me?" the man asked with slurred speech. He laughed, then began to speak in gibberish, reaching for a wineskin.

Recall that Dalinar's ravings are also called gibberish by those around him, until Navani recognizes them as Dawnchant.

a final quote that i believe is particularly telling comes right after the encounter. Szeth is listing Heralds:

Jezerezeh, Ishi, Kelek, Talenelat. He counted off each one, and realized there were only nine here. One was conspicuously missing. Why had Shalash's statue been removed?

I don't think it's a coincidence that Szeth lists all four of the Heralds that we are reasonably certain have appeared in WoK, and then adds one that doesn't show up. of course, i'll accept peter's word that brandon might have miscounted... if brandon confirms it :P

Till then, it was Ishar in the Beggar's Feast with a wineskin!

First Reference I can find about him being Jezrien is in 2013(after the release of Lift's Interlude with the "drooling" reference). Curiously, it's also a post against said theory, which is fascinating, as there is nothing related to it earlier in that topic. It's almost out of nowhere.

Spoiler

Also, can someone please explain to me how people can argue for the drunk bearded man being Jezrien (or whomever)? Other then using the "Hey!-A-man-with-a-black-beard!-Jezrien-has-a-black-beard!"-argument, I fail to see how. If one were to really nitpick, one might extrapolate heavily from this quote:

"Have you seen me?" The man asked with a slurred speech. He laughed, then began to speak gibberish, reaching for his wineskin.

- From tWoK Prologue, page 23. (My bold lettering)

"to speak" implies the presence of a structured language, which might be described as "gibberish" by someone failing to understand. Maybe the man was speaking in the Dawnchant or whatever one might call the language of the Heralds? Which Szeth only would have understood as gibberish?

Other than that, only the setting itself and that drooling quote from Darkness in the Jasnah WoR chapter (though I don't get how people can deduce that it refers to this drunk man) would indicate that he is anything more than a black.bearded, drunk man who only serves as a means to let on in on a unique part of Alethi culture (i.e. the Beggar's Feast).

On the subject of calling it early though, we have this.

It's Shalash, one of the heralds. She's destroying all pictures and statues of herself, that's why her statue is missing in the prologue. Apparently she's revered as "Lady of Dreams" by the Emul.

It also explains why Baxis can't decide her race.

Thought's?

Not only is this from 2010, it's the very first usage of the word "Shalash" on this site.

haha. new one. 

“It’s a unique piece, human,” she said. “From the far-off Court of Gods, a painting intended only for a divinity to see. It is exceptionally rare that one escapes being burned at the court, and makes its way onto the market.”

“Nine shadows,” Kaladin said. “The Unmade?”

“This is a piece by Nenefra. It is said that each person who sees one of his masterworks sees something different. And to think, I charge such a minuscule price. Only three hundred broams’ worth of Stormlight! Truly, times are difficult in the art market.”

"court of Gods"

Nalthis.

Personally, mine is when I realized, after Edgedancer, that many of the references to weird cremlings are actually references to the hordelings of the Sleepless watching the characters. The references in Oathbringer were then super obvious and helped me recall half-remembered instances in the previous books that I'm now scouring for.

• Chaos locked this topic