The Lonely Life of Marsh/Ironeyes

robardin

What happened to Marsh after the Catacendre?

Even with his role in aiding Vin against the Lord Ruler and defying Ruin's control to remove her earring at the critical moment, it would seem he wasn't embraced by the other "Originators" like Spook, Ham, and Breeze, given his legendary status at a symbol of death. Probably he didn't try to reintegrate himself in the first place.

When we see him interacting with Marasi in Era 2, he has access to steel and zinc to do allomancy, but he can't just stroll into a shop and buy it, can he?

For that matter, don't Inquisitors still need to eat, to fuel the physical bodies that still do age and die and need to rest? Looking as he does, Marsh can't exactly visit restaurants and markets.

Perhaps the high priests of Sliverism are tasked with his upkeep?

I have a feeling that Marsh has a special status, granted by Harmony at Kelsier's request. Harmony would have known what Marsh did re: Vin's earring at the final battle, and he would surely know how difficult it would have been for Marsh to accomplish that oh-so-important nanosecond of rebellion against Ruin's control right at that instant. Perhaps Sazed even gave Marsh a choice, to go Beyond or to stay and help Scadrial. I really hope we get some insight on Marsh in W&W4; he is such a noble & tragic figure.

Edited by Lump-wing

I'm not sure if he's working "for" Harmony, in the way that the kandra are at least, since he passed along that book about Hemalurgy to Wax that Harmony disapproved of. And even if he is surviving on F-atium, that's still a lonely existence - he has no way to blend into society, or age peers to hang out with as friends.

Questioner:
Is Marsh happy?

Brandon Sanderson:
Marsh is Marsh’s version of happy.

Questioner:
I’m just worried about him.

Brandon Sanderson:
…He has never been a happy person. But he’s in a better place now than he’s been in other times of his life.

There’s a part of Marsh that really likes skulking around and being an incarnation of Death in peoples’ minds. He’s not really one, but you know what I mean? There’s a part of him, the part that’s related to his brother, that really digs that, even if he would never admit it.

14 hours ago, robardin said:

What happened to Marsh after the Catacendre?

I too am very curious about Marsh's choice to live after what  Ruin did to him and Sazed's choice to leave him as is, instead of healing him back into human form. After all, in their conversation at the end of BoM Harmony hinted that Paalm, even if they could have restored her intial spikes, would have been terribly scarred by the experience, so it may have been for the better that she died. Marsh was possessed by Ruin for 2 years and forced to commit unspeakable atrocities. How is it, that he was able to come to terms with it all and decided to live a magically prolongued life to boot? What motivates him and fills his days?

Conversely, why didn't Sazed heal Marsh, after all his sacrifices and suffering? Made _him_ a Mstborn, maybe. All those spikes are supposed to constantly hurt, after all, and to be quite fatiguing as well.

As to who Marsh hangs out with and who purchases necessary stuff for him - I can only assume the kandra. They have quite a bit in common and they are the only people around, other than Harmony and Kelsier, who still remember the World of Ash first-hand. OTOH, I am not really sure why Marsh still saunters around in his Inquisitor look. Didn't he have a F-gold spike? That should have allowed him to get rid of his tatoos, no? Black-tinted spectacles exist - all that Marsh would need to do to blend in would be to remove his tatoos, stop shaving his head and dress in a contemporary manner.

As an aside, I don't understand how an Inquisitor could shave himself anyway, since from what we have heard about the steelsight, it shouldn't allow for seeing reflections. No metal in those, after all.

Frankly, Marsh somehow not dying at the end of the first trilogy, when everything outside was burning, and him now secretively puttering in the shadows, yet also not actively helping the protaginists except for delivering Spook's book to them in the second trilogy annoys me a bit. What's the point of giving a character an unnaturally long life and great powers, only for them to stand back while newbie protagonists blunder around? There are too many exceptionally long-lived dudes running about  and being mysterious in Sanderson's books. And Khriss. But we have a good idea about what _she_ is doing. And while we don't know Hoid's overall goal, at least we know that it is something huge and he has become much more overtly active and helpful in the Stormlight Archive. But someone like Marsh sitting on his posterior while the Set and their Shardic backer were doing their thing is just irritating. Ditto all those other MB1 characters traipsing around the cosmere for some reason.

Here is to hoping that Marsh actually has a significant role planned for him in the Third Era trilogy and that's why he is still around. Ditto Kelsier, but at least he isn't actually on Scadrial in Era 2, so he has an excuse for not dealing with Trellists.

On 4/1/2018 at 3:51 AM, Isilel said:

Here is to hoping that Marsh actually has a significant role planned for him in the Third Era trilogy and that's why he is still around. Ditto Kelsier, but at least he isn't actually on Scadrial in Era 2, so he has an excuse for not dealing with Trellists.

Considering that AoL was supposed to be a one off, and accidentally grew into something more, I don't think we have to worry about this. 

Mistborn was originally pitched as a trilogy of trilogies. Era 2 was supposed to be what is now Era 3, and Wax and Wayne were supposed to be a quick stop in to see Scadrial's progression, which lead to the "Era 1.5" debacle. 

If Marsh has a reason to still exist, it should become apparent in the next two trilogies. 

Edited by Calderis

On 1 april 2018 at 0:51 PM, Isilel said:

Marsh is doing things. He investigates the southern continent. We don't really know what is there, and so it might be hugely important.

Where did we learn that Kelsier isn't on Scadrial in Era 2?

10 hours ago, Toaster Retribution said:

Where did we learn that Kelsier isn't on Scadrial in Era 2?

We never did. Although I guess one could speculate based on the comment that Harmony hasn't spoken to Kelsier for a while.

Somewhat relevant WoB:

Cadmium (paraphrased)

We've seen someone with a Hemalurgic spike communicate or under the control of Ruin or Harmony... Can other Shards communicate or control those individuals?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

Yes. Good Question. Yes...  They can certainly communicate...

Cadmium (paraphrased)

To what extent?

Not to the extent that Ruin did. The others could communicate but it'd be vague or faint, not as direct as Ruin was. He connects to us, well, them through the little bit of Preservation that he had or could touch. Because the spike pierces the soul.

Cadmium (paraphrased)

What about on other planets than Scadrial?

It'd work the same way. but again probably vaguer or fainter. Might go unnoticed.

Maybe Kelsier is far enough away that Harmony can't talk to him?

6 hours ago, shadowwisp said:

We never did. Although I guess one could speculate based on the comment that Harmony hasn't spoken to Kelsier for a while.

Somewhat relevant WoB:

Maybe Kelsier is far enough away that Harmony can't talk to him?

Huh. This is speculation worthy of its own thread. I think we have a WoB that says Kelsier will cameo in Lost Metal though, so wherever he is, he will come back, unless we just get another metalmind-vision.

• Chaos locked this topic