Cosmere TV shows

My vote would be for Studio Ghibli to do Warbreaker. Hopefully Hiyao Miyazaki would come out of his 6th retirement to do this, but could you imagine how amazing the Brandon avalanche at the end would be, with Susebron glowing like a super nova and the whole palace alive with awakened attackers? And Kalad's Phantoms would look ridiculously awesome animated as well.

Miyazaki's son did an adaptation of a strange slice of Wizard of Earthsea (which was quite weird really, they should have focused on telling a more compelling bit of that interesting story), but the Hiyao Miyazaki led adaptation of Howl's Moving Castle is an amazing movie.

Mistborn era 1 could totally work as an anime, stylistically it could be based almost entirely on the anime series Ergo Proxy, the main character Re-l looks like how I imagined Vin when reading the books, and the grittiness of the environment is atmospherically perfect for Era 1 Scadrial.

Ergo_Proxy_Set_1_cover.jpg

Animated GIF below of the "Proxy" from the opening credits, with his cape billowing in the wind (kind of like a certain mistcloak).

Spoiler

ergo_proxy_op_gif_by_ermano.gif

Scadrial-esque gritty backgrounds from Ergo Proxy (spoilered for length):

Spoiler

0000252707.jpg

Is that Vin in the foreground? Could totally see Caman's lair rendered like this

0000252727.jpg

Are those Skaa farming?

1465522088-62b287f0daf907ccc4e8605e4484e

So Ergo Proxy takes place far in the future where all of Humanity lives in domed, self contained cities, but the environment design is freaking amazing, could you imagine how awesome Kridick Shaw would look?

Edited by hoiditthroughthegrapevine

6 hours ago, Johhny_Eastland said:

That's usually my biggest fear which is missing the spirit or message of the book (specifically sci fi/ fantasy novels). It's also hard to cut down books into a 90 minute format. But you are right most are fine. That said nothing hurts me more than it turning out bad or as a 6. I'd rather have nothing. A world where Avatar the Last Airbender and Eragon films don't exist is a happier place xD. I don't mean to sound like a grouch lol.

I don’t mind living in a world where in Eragon movie exists, as long as it’s a halfway decent one that actually merits the label. Unfortunately, even by the standards to horrible movie adaptations, Eragon was in a league all on its own, at least in part because the director clearly didn’t even read the book, and he basically admits as much.

On 3/30/2018 at 10:00 PM, Belzedar said:

Yes, well, my above point only applies to live action adaptations. With animation, anything is possible. I maintain my belief in Stormlight: The Animated Series.

I've long thought this would be the ideal format for an adaptation.

Roshar is such a wonderful alien world it would be difficult (expensive) to bring to a screen. The spren are so critical to the feel of the story as well, even the little things like angerspren and gloryspren popping up when someone has an emotional moment. If it was live action their choices would be to spend a ton of money to do it right, spend less and have it look mediocre or cut a lot of the spren out. 

Another thing I worry about with live action is the casting. American film does not have the best track record of casting people of color and only the Shin look like what we call Caucasian. If Brandon has input I'm sure he'd want the casting to appropriate, but he may not have that kind of control.

I think these stories are already in their ideal format as novels. That said, if there is an adaptation I'd love to see it as an animated series. 

3 minutes ago, Child of Hodor said:

Another thing I worry about with live action is the casting. American film does not have the best track record of casting people of color and only the Shin look like what we call Caucasian.

Honestly, I don’t think that’s a big deal in this case. The real-world equivalent of the Alethi doesn’t explicitly come up in the books, only in WoBs, and even then, just giving Caucasian actors heavy spray tan would probably be sufficient. As far as the actual story goes, whether they have quasi-Asian eyes is a complete non-issue. I’ve always said that Manu Bennett would be perfect for the role of Dalinar.

6 minutes ago, Child of Hodor said:

I've long thought this would be the ideal format for an adaptation.

Roshar is such a wonderful alien world it would be difficult (expensive) to bring to a screen. The spren are so critical to the feel of the story as well, even the little things like angerspren and gloryspren popping up when someone has an emotional moment. If it was live action their choices would be to spend a ton of money to do it right, spend less and have it look mediocre or cut a lot of the spren out. 

Another thing I worry about with live action is the casting. American film does not have the best track record of casting people of color and only the Shin look like what we call Caucasian. If Brandon has input I'm sure he'd want the casting to appropriate, but he may not have that kind of control.

I think these stories are already in their ideal format as novels. That said, if there is an adaptation I'd love to see it as an animated series. 

Well, DMG is fast tracking a TWOK adaptation, I think we will get an adaptation at some point.

When it comes to ethnicity,I've often said that nailing the physical appearance of the character, is second to casting an actor who can get the character. Also, as @Fanghur Rahl mentioned, epicanthic folds are a non-issue, and spray tans would work.

It does get a bit silly to worry about fantasy ethnicity, but I think the production could be accused of "white-washing". Ghost in the Shell got a lot bad press for casting Scarlett Johanson, whose character is essentially a robot. I know this in-world painting of a Herald isn't *exactly* what Jezrien looked like, but either way it's not just WoB. 

Image result for Jezrien painting

Honestly, I think the whole ‘white-washing’ thing is dumb, at least in the overwhelming majority of instances. Unless the race is actually an essential aspect of the story, I honestly could care less if a Caucasian got cast to play someone who happened to be Hispanic in the book, or vice versa for that matter. The fact of the matter is that the overwhelming majority of Hollywood actors are either Caucasian, half-Caucasian, or raised from birth in Caucasian countries. So I can’t help but roll my eyes whenever people start throwing ‘white-washing’ around willy-nilly. As far as I’m concerned, acting should be a meritocracy.

Edited by Fanghur Rahl

10 hours ago, hoiditthroughthegrapevine said:

My vote would be for Studio Ghibli to do Warbreaker. Hopefully Hiyao Miyazaki would come out of his 6th retirement to do this, but could you imagine how amazing the Brandon avalanche at the end would be, with Susebron glowing like a super nova and the whole palace alive with awakened attackers? And Kalad's Phantoms would look ridiculously awesome animated as well.

Miyazaki's son did an adaptation of a strange slice of Wizard of Earthsea (which was quite weird really, they should have focused on telling a more compelling bit of that interesting story), but the Hiyao Miyazaki led adaptation of Howl's Moving Castle is an amazing movie.

Mistborn era 1 could totally work as an anime, stylistically it could be based almost entirely on the anime series Ergo Proxy, the main character Re-l looks like how I imagined Vin when reading the books, and the grittiness of the environment is atmospherically perfect for Era 1 Scadrial.

First, you probably have the best user name ever. Second I agree that Studio Ghibli would be great for Warbreaker. Though Miyazaki himself probably wouldn't take to much of an interest in this particular novel of Brandon's. He is big on strong female lead characters which the book has but all of the films he directs have a major theme of flight which is pretty much absent from Warbreaker :( . He's also super big on environmentalism which is a big part of his films so he would probably be lean more towards Mistborn. But any movie by him would be amazing.

6 hours ago, Fanghur Rahl said:

I don’t mind living in a world where in Eragon movie exists, as long as it’s a halfway decent one that actually merits the label. Unfortunately, even by the standards to horrible movie adaptations, Eragon was in a league all on its own, at least in part because the director clearly didn’t even read the book, and he basically admits as much.

I agree that it needs to merit the label of the book its coming from. But I dont want a 4/10 - 6/10. It either needs to be so bad that its comical (Like the film The Room) or a 7/10 or higher. It is a waste of our time, the authors time, and the studios time to make mediocre films. Though I do hope that at some point Brandon is able to get a studio to finally take on this project of making a good film out of his novels. The cosmere in general could make the greatest movie series like the Marvel Cinematic Universe. The general public wouldn't have any idea they were connected until multiple movies come out. Everyone is seeing Hoid and wondering why he's just memeing is way through these movies and wondering who the heck he is :P

11 minutes ago, Fanghur Rahl said:

Is it legally possible for an author to sell movie rights to his books but include in the contract the right to veto at any time if he feels they’re making a mockery of his work?

You can put whatever you want in a contract. The trick would be getting the studio to sign away that much power to you. Even a big-name author is a small player in TV or film industries.

Questioner

Obviously a movie's going to be a long way off, but how much input would you have in it and would it be like what you want compared to what--

Brandon Sanderson

How much input would I have in the movie? That really depends on the producer. I can't-- I'm not powerful enough to get in the contract. I'm actually like two ranks, two like not powerful enough-- the rank of of author above me, George RR Martin's rank, they don't even have the power. It's the rank of author above that, like Jo Rowling or Stephanie Meyer-- they have enough sales that they can demand something in the contract and, you know, I'm a number one bestseller but there's a big leap between me and Stephanie Meyer or JK Rowling and so-- There's-- I would have to say no. With some authors, they just say no; I would roll the dice and gamble on getting a good movie and I try to stay very in touch with the producers, so they know I'm a good resource, and some of them have made use of that, and some of them have made less.

source

7 hours ago, Fanghur Rahl said:

Honestly, I think the whole ‘white-washing’ thing is dumb, at least in the overwhelming majority of instances. Unless the race is actually an essential aspect of the story, I honestly could care less if a Caucasian got cast to play someone who happened to be Hispanic in the book. The fact of the matter is that the overwhelming majority of Hollywood actors are either Caucasian, half-Caucasian, or raised from birth in Caucasian countries. So I can’t help but roll my eyes whenever people start throwing ‘white-washing’ around willy-nilly. As far as I’m concerned, acting should be a meritocracy.

Agreed. Actors should, ya know, be able to act. If I were in the caster's shoes, their skill as an actor would far outweigh ethnicity. Fighting discrimination is great and all, but skin color is just that. A color. The whole point to fighting discrimination is to make it so the color of skin makes no difference. (sorry that I went a bit political, but there's not much elsewhere you can go when talking about this sort of thing.)

Agreed. It certainly wouldn’t be a big deal in the case of Stormlight; like I said, I wouldn’t even have known that the Alethi aren’t basically dark-tanned Caucasians from reading the books, and honestly, my mental image of Szeth is, ironically, at the very least certainly NOT Caucasian, but rather something more Asian. So in my opinion, it’s a complete non-issue.

Edited by Fanghur Rahl

10 hours ago, Wyndlerunner said:

Agreed. Actors should, ya know, be able to act. If I were in the caster's shoes, their skill as an actor would far outweigh ethnicity. Fighting discrimination is great and all, but skin color is just that. A color. The whole point to fighting discrimination is to make it so the color of skin makes no difference. (sorry that I went a bit political, but there's not much elsewhere you can go when talking about this sort of thing.)

Plus, you know, just look at how mind-bogglingly terrible the DBZ and Attack on Titan movies were, at least in part because most of the actors couldn’t act worth a frakk. I know the common consensus is that the movie Gods of Egypt wasn’t great, and lots of people started screaming the “white wash!” card, but give me a break, the fact that it was a sub-optimal movie had literally nothing to do with that and everything to do with its lousy writing.

Incidentally, just on a tangent, and ironic thing about all of the Japanese animes and the movie is that sometimes get made out of them, is that technically the animes white wash themselves; Attack on Titan, Dragon Ball, Sword Art Online, etc. all are lead by ostensibly Japanese main characters and yet all of them look completely Caucasian, albeit with unnatural hair colours and styles. That’s something I’ve always found quite funny.

21 hours ago, Fanghur Rahl said:

Honestly, I think the whole ‘white-washing’ thing is dumb, at least in the overwhelming majority of instances. Unless the race is actually an essential aspect of the story, I honestly could care less if a Caucasian got cast to play someone who happened to be Hispanic in the book, or vice versa for that matter. The fact of the matter is that the overwhelming majority of Hollywood actors are either Caucasian, half-Caucasian, or raised from birth in Caucasian countries. So I can’t help but roll my eyes whenever people start throwing ‘white-washing’ around willy-nilly. As far as I’m concerned, acting should be a meritocracy.

I mean, there has to be a reason why the majority of actors in Hollywood are Caucasian (well above the ~60% US rate), right?  

To be sure, acting chops have to take precedence over pure representation.  But, you know, why not at least try to accurately portray the varied and complex demographics of Roshar.  If you end up with Alethi, Veden, Horneater, Shin, Herdazian, Iriali, and Makabaki all looking exactly the same - you would lose so much of what makes Roshar, Roshar.  

P.s. @Fanghur Rahl double-posting is against the Forum rules.  

I kinda want to loop back to @SupremeKingZ-arc's original question. I know I had a lengthy answer earlier but outside of that I think that Shadows for Silence in the Forests of Hell would probably make a decent straight to tv movie. It could fit a 65 minute time slot with its length. It probably wouldn't need a huge budget as long as the CG for the shades was good. I think due to the horror aspects it would make a nice t.v. special if Brandon want's to dink around with his works jumping to tv. 

3 hours ago, Johhny_Eastland said:

I kinda want to loop back to @SupremeKingZ-arc's original question. I know I had a lengthy answer earlier but outside of that I think that Shadows for Silence in the Forests of Hell would probably make a decent straight to tv movie. It could fit a 65 minute time slot with its length. It probably wouldn't need a huge budget as long as the CG for the shades was good. I think due to the horror aspects it would make a nice t.v. special if Brandon want's to dink around with his works jumping to tv. 

Oh, definitely. Dark One should also be a chance for Brandon to test the waters as far as TV goes.

18 minutes ago, Wyndlerunner said:

Oh, definitely. Dark One should also be a chance for Brandon to test the waters as far as TV goes.

I forgot that was in the works lol, they talked about that on the shardcast recently. It has a really interesting premise so hopefully this one actually goes somewhere!

Forests of Hell would be awesome, but I also think that possibly the best way to introduce a wider audience (and thereby increase the value of the complete property that is the cosmere, so that serious money could be thrown at it so it's done right) would be to do a film of The Emperor's soul. It won a Hugo award, my wife who is not into fantasy really liked it (and is almost on the verge of reading more Sanderson books), and if they spent money on the visual design for the setting, the costumes, and great actors, it could be a relatively inexpensive movie to make but it would still be awesome. There would need to be some CGI, but pretty minimal compared to other Cosmere stories.

5 minutes ago, hoiditthroughthegrapevine said:

Forests of Hell would be awesome, but I also think that possibly the best way to introduce a wider audience (and thereby increase the value of the complete property that is the cosmere, so that serious money could be thrown at it so it's done right) would be to do a film of The Emperor's soul. It won a Hugo award, my wife who is not into fantasy really liked it (and is almost on the verge of reading more Sanderson books), and if they spent money on the visual design for the setting, the costumes, and great actors, it could be a relatively inexpensive movie to make but it would still be awesome. There would need to be some CGI, but pretty minimal compared to other Cosmere stories.

True. I love Emperor's Soul. I think it could be adapted really well, fairly simply.