Cosmere TV shows

So I know making Brandon's books into movies, but has anyone talked about making some of the epic fantasy ones into TV shows? I feel that it would be better for his format and allow for the interludes in the stormlight archive. And it could allow for something similar to the CW's arrowverse but with the Cosmere.

Any thoughts?

It's a possibility that Brandon's aware of. 

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

The screenplay that we got with DMG came in at like 250 pages.

Questioner [PENDING REVIEW]

Love it!

Yeah, but that's like a four hour movie, not really viable.

I'm good with four hours.

Questioner 2 [PENDING REVIEW]

Nobody wants to make a four hour movie.

Yeah, that's why we're looking more at television.

Is that a possibility, of just doing shows instead?

Yeah, it's a distinct possibility. It really depends on what offers come and what DMG puts together, and stuff like that. But it is something that we have always been open to and they have always been pursuing. They just wanted to see, what does a screenplay look like? Turns out, it's a four hour screenplay.

source

This has been discussed in the Stormlight adaptation thread. We'd all like to see it, but it's unlikely to happen because epic fantasy is grotesquely expensive to film. Adapting any cosmere work would cost a lot more than the arrowverse.

I hope the market could open more for epic fantasy. Tech should be cheaper with time, and Game of Thrones is a huge hit. Amazon will do Lord of the Rings on TV. Shannara and The Magicians are also television shows, although Shannara got cancelled. Vikings is also big, and although it isn't fantasy, it is still medeival warfare, and has a touch of magic in it at times. 

In addition, Marvel has shown how successful a shared universe is, and everyone wants to replicate that. Cosmere could fit that bill brilliantly if it was done well.

So, with luck, one company or another, who wants to compete with GoT or LotR will pick SA up. 

Edit: Netflix is doing the Witcher, which is another epic fantasy adaption for tv. So there isn’t really lack of interest in the genre. 

Edited by Toaster Retribution

6 hours ago, Calderis said:

It's a possibility that Brandon's aware of. 

What about splitting those 4 hours into two movies though?

(also, was this regarding Stormlight Archive or Mistborn?)

6 hours ago, Naurock said:

To me Mistborn always seemed like it would be best portrayed as an anime. Freakish Inquisitors, Koloss, Kandra and just how the magic works.

Please no. Animated (realistically) is fine, but please no anime style.

Edited by Leyrann
fixing brackets

I think you could do Mistborn as very well as 2 hour something movies. Possibly mixing in Secret History with the third installment. So you can explain the shards to a general audience. I dont think the books have enough material for a mini series with 10 episodes and just 6 or 8 seem a bit short. Plus only a movie can pay for the cgi needed for scadrial era 1. And only movies make the kind of money, that would justify an investment as big as you would need for scadrial.

Stormlight should definitively be a mini series with ten episodes, but it will be too expensive to make. I mean think about it. You would need to create almost the entire scenery with cgi plus powers plus parsh and parshendi (you could do them with makeup though) and shardblades and shardplates and chasmfiends. I mean most parts of Roshars nature dont exist in this world.

And now remember: Game of Thrones is the rust right now. Easily ten times bigger than everything Brandon has written combined. Sounds harsh, but it is true. And even Game of Thrones cheaps out on Cgi. Season 7 had a lot of dragons, but no magic and not a single scenes of direwolfs. Making good cgi is insanely expensive.

So they will probably split each stormlight book in two movies. And that will just suck. Trust me I am german and in Germany stormlight gets released in two parts per original english book. I picked up SA not knowing that it was supposed to be one book and if I hadnt read mistborn before SA, well I had just dropped Brandon as an author. Actually it has gotten so bad, that all Brandon books are up in the air in Germany, because they dont sell.

I totally interpreted this thread title wrong and was off and running, picturing a college student in Silverlight writing their thesis comparing the television shows on Roshar, Scadrial, Sel, Nalthis and various other cosmere planets and delineating what cultural, sociopolitical, and even ecological and magical elements of each respective world contributed to the distinct natures of what each world tended to produce in terms of entertainment content.

Ie, television on Roshar is some form of Illumination fabrial showing content whose storylines all have strong themes of Honor, while Scadrial tends to prefer live entertainment such as plays where audiences and actors tap various metalminds storing Connection or burn emotion-linked metals as part of the experience and ANYWAY I DIGRESS ahem apologies for thread-jacking, continue as you were.

3 minutes ago, ROSHtaFARian2.0 said:

I totally interpreted this thread title wrong and was off and running, picturing a college student in Silverlight writing their thesis comparing the television shows on Roshar, Scadrial, Sel, Nalthis and various other cosmere planets and delineating what cultural, sociopolitical, and even ecological and magical elements of each respective world contributed to the distinct natures of what each world tended to produce in terms of entertainment content.

Ie, television on Roshar is some form of Illumination fabrial showing content whose storylines all have strong themes of Honor, while Scadrial tends to prefer live entertainment such as plays where audiences and actors tap various metalminds storing Connection or burn emotion-linked metals as part of the experience and ANYWAY I DIGRESS ahem apologies for thread-jacking, continue as you were.

That would still be awesome!

On 3/31/2018 at 4:30 AM, Toaster Retribution said:

I second this, and I believe Brandon has said no to that as well.

I third this.

Also, if they make a screen adaptation for any Sanderson books, they’d better stick to the books. There have been a ton of books that got turned into movies, and the movies just ruined them. (*cough cough Percy Jackson cough cough*) Sanderson should approve the final script— if he has, then let the movies begin!

39 minutes ago, Ashspren said:

I third this.

Also, if they make a screen adaptation for any Sanderson books, they’d better stick to the books. There have been a ton of books that got turned into movies, and the movies just ruined them. (*cough cough Percy Jackson cough cough*) Sanderson should approve the final script— if he has, then let the movies begin!

Uhm, it's Peter, not Percy.

Then again Percy was a character in Harry Potter, where the movies are also worse than the books. And not only because Rowling's writing style was basically the only thing that made them worth reading; shows that worldbuilding can always get worse.

Edited by Leyrann

Has to be movies. Sorry. But I would put in here that the what I would recommend is actually commissioning the programming team of a big cgi studio to write the plug-ins to make the magic physics work. Gravity is rust in CGI still so you will have a software package to sell back to the commissioned animation company. 

This basically lets them get paid for revolutionizing cgi but since you're subsidizing the work you basically get upgraded for free. And you bring to the table the need to finally figure out eg gravity and mass for a fun project. 

The whole universe benefits because from then on movement of rigged figures won't look ridiculous.

Edited by Storyspren
Typo

1 hour ago, John203 said:

Uhm, it's Percy, not Peter. LOTR is not the only book to movie series out there.

Wait, what series is that then?

Either way, quite the coincidence that they have almost the same name and did the same thing.

5 hours ago, The One Who Connects said:

Well, Percy was the book character, so I wouldn't say he did the same thing. But it's an interesting coincidence all the same.

Oooh wait, now I get it. Lol. Apologies for being so confusing.

21 hours ago, Leyrann said:

Oooh wait, now I get it. Lol. Apologies for being so confusing.

No problem! As a fan of Percy Jackson and the Olympians / The Heroes of Olypus series, watchimg some of my favorite books get ruined by movies made me very protective of good books against their film adaptations, lol. :P

I'm pretty sure Brandon has addressed the animated movie question by saying the market just isn't wide enough for that to be justified and they would never get it off the ground. As for a live action show? Seems like he's leaning that direction and I can see a major company going all in as high fantasy is making something of a comeback in pop culture right now.

• 3 months later...