Division: The Surge of Destruction and Decay

Abrasion: The Surge of Friction

Progression: The Surge of Growth and Healing, or Regrowth

Illumination: The Surge of Light, Sound, and Various Waveforms

Transformation: The Surge of Soulcasting

Transportation: The Surge of Motion and Realmatic Transition

Cohesion: The Surge of Strong Axial Interconnection

Tension: The Surge of Soft Axial Interconnection

Sanderson, Brandon. Oathbringer: Book Three of the Stormlight Archive (p. 1238). Tom Doherty Associates. Kindle Edition.

Fabrials

Era 1 Fabrials- Fabrials of the Knights Radiant. These fabrials probably use sentient spren that agree to being connected to fabrials and are fabrials that store stormlight keyed to one of the surges.

Era 2 Fabrials- Fabrials of current day Roshar. They use nonsentient spren.

Types

Altering Fabrials

Augmenters- These fabrials are crafted to enhance something. They can create heat, pain, or even a calm wind, for instance. They are powered—like all fabrials—by Stormlight. They seem to work best with forces, emotions, or sensations. I am guessing that any one of the ten Polestones will work.

Diminishers- These fabrials do the opposite of what augmenters do, and generally seem to fall under the same restrictions as their cousins.

Pairing Fabrials

Conjoiners- By infusing a ruby and using methodology that has not been revealed to me (though I have my suspicions), you can create a conjoined pair of gemstones. The process requires splitting the original ruby. The two halves will then create parallel reactions across a distance. Spanreeds are one of the most common forms of this type of fabrial. Conservation of force is maintained; for instance, if one is attached to a heavy stone, you will need the same strength to lift the conjoined fabrial that you would need to lift the stone itself. There appears to be some sort of process used during the creation of the fabrial that influences how far apart the two halves can go and still produce an effect.

Reversers- Using an amethyst instead of a ruby also creates conjoined halves of a gemstone, but these two work in creating opposite reactions. Raise one, and the other will be pressed downward, for instance. These fabrials have only just been discovered, and already the possibilities for exploitation are being conjectured. There appear to be some unexpected limitations to this form of fabrial, though I have not been able to discover what they are.

Warning Fabrials- Using an amethyst instead of a ruby also creates conjoined halves of a gemstone, but these two work in creating opposite reactions. Raise one, and the other will be pressed downward, for instance. These fabrials have only just been discovered, and already the possibilities for exploitation are being conjectured. There appear to be some unexpected limitations to this form of fabrial, though I have not been able to discover what they are.

Sanderson, Brandon. Oathbringer: Book Three of the Stormlight Archive (pp. 1238-1239). Tom Doherty Associates. Kindle Edition.

There are 2 more pairings of Fabrials that we don't know about.

The Technological Plateu- Rosharan artifabrians have 5 pairings of types of fabrials, ten gemstones to manipulate the effects, and three type of different ways to harness the power of spren and the surges. Once they figure out how to create Era one Fabrials, they will be able to create many types of fabrials, but eventually the fabrials will eventually get too big for there the intended use.

Rosharans can counteract this by controlling the size of spren, which we know can be gone from one of the interludes in WoR, to make them fit tinier gems. But they don't have the tools to cut gems that small and wire the gems and mechanisms together to create a fabrial.

In the future, once they get past this problem what kind a fabrials do you think will be created, and how will it affect the many Rosharans?

Fabrial Cities

I think Fabrial Cities will become popular. I don't think we will have Urithiru cites due to lack of Super spren who would agree to this. Instead I think it will several to very many smaller fabrials will be interconnected to create one city fabrial. To do this, they will probably use a lot logic spren to handle all of the connections, stormlight infusion, and information exchanged. This also lets spren-hacking become a thing.

Holograms and  the Internet

I think that these fabrials will probably use rubies and creativity and logic spren to provide near instant transfer of information. I don't now how they will keep information, but that might be able to work with one of the unknown pairing. For holograms I think it will be a mixed with creativityspren and maybe a hypothetical pairing to the warning fabrials, this could also work for screens for boards and communication devices.

Edited by MountainKing
Finishing the Post

• Chaos locked this topic