Supreme King Z-arc

[OB] Solid Lightweaving

14 posts in this topic

So at the end of oathbringer Shallan makes her illusions solid? She assumes that it is a mix of soulcasting and illumination, but Jasnah said it may be the fact that there is so much stormlight. 

What if this is the resonance for the lightweavers? Do we know if you can only have one resonance? Or is it just if you put enough stormlight into an illusion you can make it solid? 

I'd go with Jasnah's explanation, myself.

Shallan's resonance is the mnemonic device. Her ability to take memories. 

We don't know if it is possible to have multiple resonances, but we do know that a resonance is a specific thing due to a combination of powers. Illumination and transformation combined give the mnemonic device. In order to get either a different resonance, or if multiple are possible another, she'd need to gain another power. 

Edited by Calderis

Yeah, Resonance effects are specifically due to the combination of two powers so a Radiant by default can only have a single Resonance. We know that having 'too many' powers drowns out the effect so even if you have multiple powers that would get you known Resonances on their own, they won't if you have too many others. For example, though we know that Wax and Wayne have Resonances, a Mistborn who also had F-Iron and F-Gold would not get those Resonances, or any others. Brandon has liked the Resonance effect to wave interference.

Questioner [PENDING REVIEW]

I was wondering, with Resonance. Is that a sort of constructive interference?

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

Constructed? No. Resonance is more about the way-- It's more of a natural interference.

Questioner [PENDING REVIEW]

So what I mean like, you have two waves, right? And if their troughs, you know--

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

Okay, is that the formal term? For the constructed.-- Oh constructive? I thought you had said-- yeah. So yes, I would say that that is an accurate phrase. I mean obviously it's not exactly the same thing. But yeah, that's what I was looking at when I was building it, was kinda things like this with waveform patterns and whatnot. So yes. At least, it was inspired by this kind of idea.

source

Brandon mentioned that despite the Windrunner Resonance being 'more/stronger squires' (a fact he's confirmed several times) Jezrien didn't get this as none of the Heralds had squires. This leaves open the question of whether Honorblade-granted Surges would count as additional powers or not, for purposes of trying to create new Resonance effecs. And relatedly, whether having three or four Surges would hit whatever invisible barrier there is beyond which the Resonance effects don't appear.

Edited by Weltall

Alternate theory:  Shallan's secretly a Green Lantern.

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

Brightest Day before Blackest Night

@Weltall I'm personally of the opinion that Jezrien did get the Windrunner resonance. I think getting the powers from any source will give the same resonance. The issue for Jezrien, in my opinion, is that squires are a byproduct of the Nahel bond, and as such, he received a resonance that enhanced something he didn't have. 

5 hours ago, Calderis said:

@Weltall I'm personally of the opinion that Jezrien did get the Windrunner resonance. I think getting the powers from any source will give the same resonance. The issue for Jezrien, in my opinion, is that squires are a byproduct of the Nahel bond, and as such, he received a resonance that enhanced something he didn't have. 

I totally agree with Cal here

Like if the Stoneward's Resonance is the ability to generate a improved Plate (to endure more...and stuffs) but someone with Taln's Blade would be unable to generate a Plate.
PS: I a not suggesting that is Stoneward's resonance, It's just an example

Edited by Yata

I think the Resonance for Surgebinders is between the associated Divine Attributes, not between the surges.

That fits better with the Windrunner Resonance of "Protective + Leading -> More Squires" and the Lightweaver Resonance of "Creative + Honest -> Mnemonic Device".

4 hours ago, AIAndy said:

I think the Resonance for Surgebinders is between the associated Divine Attributes, not between the surges.

That fits better with the Windrunner Resonance of "Protective + Leading -> More Squires" and the Lightweaver Resonance of "Creative + Honest -> Mnemonic Device".

Alternatively, the divine attributes could be based on the Resonance. I think Brandon has talked about the fact that the chart with the attributes and essences is more of a human explanation to something they don't fully understand. 

On 3/29/2018 at 11:57 AM, StrikerEZ said:

Alternatively, the divine attributes could be based on the Resonance. I think Brandon has talked about the fact that the chart with the attributes and essences is more of a human explanation to something they don't fully understand. 

The same with the divine attributes. 

@AIAndy resonances exist for all power combinations in the Cosmere, they are just more pronounced on Roshar. Twinborn on Scadrial have resonances as well. It's a matter of powers combining.

In the case of Windrunners it makes sense too, if you think of their powers from a Spiritual perspective. Gravitation to draw more people in, and Adhesion to bind then to you more strongly. 

Edited by Calderis

On 29.3.2018 at 9:07 PM, Calderis said:

The same with the divine attributes. 

@AIAndy resonances exist for all power combinations in the Cosmere, they are just more pronounced on Roshar. Twinborn on Scadrial have resonances as well. It's a matter of powers combining.

In the case of Windrunners it makes sense too, if you think if there powers from a Spiritual perspective. Gravitation to draw more people in, and Adhesion to bind then to you more strongly. 

Possible, I just think that the part of the splintered mind of Adonalsium you are connected to is what gives you powers and when combined then resonance.

On 3/28/2018 at 8:20 PM, Calderis said:

I think the Heralds get more powers than just the surges when wielding their honorblade, cause if it's just that then they're just a weaker version of a Radiant, and that seems kinda lame.

3 hours ago, Gray to said:

I think the Heralds get more powers than just the surges when wielding their honorblade, cause if it's just that then they're just a weaker version of a Radiant, and that seems kinda lame.

They were weaker versions of the modern Radiants.

Their Surgebinding is a prototype of the One performed by Knight Radiant and It's less perfomant and efficient.

Of course this rarelly mattered as the Heralds were directly fueled by Honor.

Immagine them always at the same level of the Radiants during Dalinar's Realms meshing.

On 28.3.2018 at 1:58 AM, Skip Hates Dragons said:

So at the end of oathbringer Shallan makes her illusions solid? She assumes that it is a mix of soulcasting and illumination, but Jasnah said it may be the fact that there is so much stormlight. 

What if this is the resonance for the lightweavers? Do we know if you can only have one resonance? Or is it just if you put enough stormlight into an illusion you can make it solid? 

If you read the Shallan sequence closely, it is made clear that she is indeed combining and "resonating" transformation and lightweaving.

Each one... Each one was her . 

A portion of her mind

A portion of her soul.

OB, p. 1160. 

She is using parts of her own mind and soul to transform her lightweaved illusions into real entities. They are complete entities of body, mind and soul, literal parts of her, who die in the thousands. Since they have a mind and soul, it is pretty likely that the bodies are not just made of stormlight, but real physical soulcast bodies.

Anyways, even if these bodies are made of stormlight, she is still combining her two surges by putting her own mind and soul into the illusions. 

(...) Each one of her illusions that died hit her with a little shock. A sliver of her dying.

Those were reborn as she pushed them out to dance again.

Whilst they are dying she can still resurrect them using stormlight before they have fully transitioned into the beyond. Kind of like Szeth was resurrected by Naln at the end of WoR. 

This means, when she ran out of stormlight, a certain percentage of her mind and soul was dead, before Jasnah gave her new stormlight reseveres to resurrect these parts of her again. And yes I think this is deeply, deeply worrying.  

Edited by Diomedes