[OB] Adolin, Maya, and Shallan

Philomath

13 minutes ago, Raffaine said:

We don't have much evidence that Odium will stick with a duel of champions ... since he couldn't do it the way he wanted, he might as well change strategy. I wonder why did he accept that in the first place, Sanderson is very vague on the how would that help Odium but it was obviously something Odium was planning for (since he had Dalinar for years in "preparation"). I was thinking it could be due to Dalinar being a Bondsmith, but I feel that all started before anyone could know that for a fact, as Dalinar/Bondsmiths seems capable of joining worlds and that may be the door Odium is looking for. Also, no rules were established for the duel, and without a commited champion to fight for you, he may as well concede to the other champion.

If he decides to continue on this path, I think Adolin is a more plausible choice, giving his past experience with the Thrill and his recent assassination of Sadeas. Renarin even having a corrupted spren, sounds like a lot more effort to bend his will.

I basically agree with this. I had assumed the champion idea was over since Dalinar essentially battled and defeated himself. Old Dalinar beat Young Dalinar. If a duel of champions did occur and Dalinar was the champion, then Adolin or Renarin would be symmetrical and fitting, but I still don't want it to be either of them. I like them too much. Ha ha. But I'm not even sure it would have to be Dalinar fighting either. He may have issued the challenge but could he not pick a champion as well?

Odium agreed to a battle of champions and he is bound by the agreement. 

If what Dalinar did had ended that agreement, then Odium would have lost and the first arc would be finished. He is still bound to the agreement. 

He will need to choose a new champion, and at the moment it appears to be Vyre. 

On 4/9/2018 at 10:33 PM, Aurora the Rioter said:

Okay, I had to resond to this, becaue I can see this happening, although right now I think Renarin will be Odium’s champion.  Either way Adolin or Renarin would work for what I’m thinking.  Anyway, Odium needs someone who can beat the Blackthorn.  Personally, I think Dalinar is super boss and won’t be easily defeated.  So the best way to defeat him is to have the champion be someone who Dalinar is not willing to kill.  And those are his sons.  Maybe flashback Dalinar would have killed his sons for the greater good, but I don’t think the current Dalinar will.  Anyway, so I think Renarin will became the chapion, he already has a currupt spren, and then near the end he will decide that he actually wants Odium deafeated and so he will kill himself.  Same thing could happen with Adolin, but personally I think it’s more likely with Renarin.

Anyway, enough of that, I do have something to say about the real topic of this post.  I also really want Adolin to not be a radiant, but I also want him to revive Maya.  I don’t know if I’ll get both, so I appreicate the theory, because at least for now I can be happy to think that it’s possible to have both desires.

I don't think Renarin is even likely to become Odium's champion. The only influence Odium has over him is Glys, and I don't think that is really enough. Plus, Renarin has very little to no previous experience with the Thrill and seems willing to accept his own pain, no matter how much it hurts. I think he's gonna be an important part of team good guys, kind of a double agent like Venli.

20 hours ago, Calderis said:

Odium agreed to a battle of champions and he is bound by the agreement. 

If what Dalinar did had ended that agreement, then Odium would have lost and the first arc would be finished. He is still bound to the agreement. 

He will need to choose a new champion, and at the moment it appears to be Vyre. 

Eh, I will be very disappointed if Vyre becomes Odium's champion. That feels too obvious and pretty cliche to me.

I admit that honestly I don’t think Renarin would become the champion and I also don’t think Adolin would either.  I just think it would make for an intresting story where Dalinar won’t kill Odium’s champion, because the champion is his son. However, I think both of his sons are staying on the good guys side (meaning not Odium’s side).  I like Renarin and I don’t want him to be evil.  Also another point I think it would be nice to have Odium’s champion be someone I’m rooting for, but don’t want to win and I get to see many viewpoints from them.  Renarin I would be rooting for and he is going to be one of the major viewpoints for the later five books.

• 2 months later...

i see Adolin getting completely beat up in a future battle with the Fused, and with his dying breath he asks Maya to take his life so that she can be whole again and bond with someone else more than worthy - in his mind at least - than he. But then Maya still chooses to bond with him anyway, and hauls him back into the world of the living to become a full Knight Radiant. 

On 4/10/2018 at 11:33 AM, Aurora the Rioter said:

Mostly Shallan needs to stop lying to everyone, but mostly Adolin.  She can get lying to some people, that’s fine, but she needs to talk to Adolin.  Her lies are not good for a marraige.  I hope this is solved up in the next book.

Shallan will definitely relapse and her different personas are going to cause a lot of problems in their marriage. Adolin is already concerned and worried even before the marriage, but goes through with it because he probably thinks he can help her that way, keep her stable.

But the stress of dealing with all that, on top of the stress of being normal while his nearest and dearest are all superheroes, constantly needing to be healed during fights, feeling like he's holding everyone back, will push Adolin to the brink and hopefully something exciting will come out of that. We already see hints of Adolin feeling useless and wishing he could do more from the end of WoR, and all through OB as well, just that it's not in his nature to get all emo about it all day, unlike some others. He just gets up and finds something to do, whether it's going to check on Gallant, performing a warm-up kata or dealing with the aftermath of a chaotic battle.

Yeah I feel like Adolin's issues are going to come out more in the next book, especially with him finding out what happened to Evi and all.

But I think he'll manage in the long run. I can see a scene happening where he hits a point of despair and Maya pushes him out of it, possibly leading to him saying the First Ideal.

• Chaos locked this topic