Quickbronze

How to post refs?

10 posts in this topic

So I'm wondering how to add references to coppermind pages, specifically WoB references. How do I do this?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's like this

{{wob ref|date=yyyy-mm-dd|arcanum entry number|event name}}

EDIT: it is now just {{wob ref|arcanum entry number}}

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

how do I find the date or arcanum entry number? 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the date is usually displayed at the top of the entry, and the entry is the number after the #e in the url (or the share url) 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If the entry doesn't have a date, then it's the date of the event. (so look in the right sidebar under the event title)

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎27‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 6:11 PM, thegatorgirl00 said:

It's like this

{{wob ref|date=yyyy-mm-dd|arcanum entry number|event name}}

Hello sorry to bring back this thread. I was trying to ref something on Coppermind and was having some problems.

thegatorgirl00 says to post as above but the wiki template says like https://coppermind.net/wiki/Template:Wob_ref

Which is right?

In article http://www.coppermind.net/wiki/Adonalsium

They use the template style but when I try to use that it say ref description missing. 

https://coppermind.net/wiki/White_Sand

Any advice on what's best practice?

Cheers,

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Lexian said:

Hello sorry to bring back this thread. I was trying to ref something on Coppermind and was having some problems.

thegatorgirl00 says to post as above but the wiki template says like https://coppermind.net/wiki/Template:Wob_ref

Which is right?

In article http://www.coppermind.net/wiki/Adonalsium

They use the template style but when I try to use that it say ref description missing. 

https://coppermind.net/wiki/White_Sand

Any advice on what's best practice?

Cheers,

Use what it says on the template. We've changed how things work a bit since my post. I'm not quite sure why you're having issues, I'd have to see what your doing to say why. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/30/2018 at 3:11 AM, Lexian said:

They use the template style but when I try to use that it say ref description missing. 

https://coppermind.net/wiki/White_Sand

Any advice on what's best practice?

You did it exactly right!

If you click on that red message ("Error: missing reference description, click to import.") it will bring you to a page that should automatically fill with the WoB's metadata. Save that new page and the article using that reference will update automatically, pulling data from the new "Cite" page.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks! When I clicked the red link it said I didn't have permission to create a page?

On a side note I s it worth updating the template to explain the process as a number of pages have this error now I come to look. E.g.

https://coppermind.net/wiki/Endowment

Cheers :)

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/3/2018 at 0:20 PM, Lexian said:

Thanks! When I clicked the red link it said I didn't have permission to create a page?

On a side note I s it worth updating the template to explain the process as a number of pages have this error now I come to look. E.g.

https://coppermind.net/wiki/Endowment

Cheers :)

Message Joe ST your Coppermind username and ask for Editor rights. There are some things, like creating pages, that accounts can't do by default. (to prevent spam issues)

You don't think the template is clear enough? I think we're trying to walk the line between "a clear explanation that something needs to be done" and "something that doesn't look super ugly". More explanation of what to do would probably start to look more sloppy. It says "Error: missing reference description, click to import." I can't think what else needs to be said beyond, "This is an error. Click here to fix it." :)

I suppose it's confusing in your case, since it won't let you create the page.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.