Is the Dakhor magic solely through Dominion?

Invocation

Question

So we know both Dominion and Devotion are on Sel (I think that's what it's called), albeit Splintered with Devotion(I think). The way of the Dakhor monastery training demons and stuff that can access some form of magic, maybe the Dor, maybe not. At first glance, the way it looks is that these demons are of Dominion. After all, that's their purpose: beat the stuffing out of people. But my question is: Are we sure it doesn't involve Devotion as well? Is there a possibility that it's a Scadrial scenario, with those two Shards being two halves that fit together, and the Fjordells took advantage of that to use both?

6 answers to this question

1 hour ago, Invocation said:

So we know both Dominion and Devotion are on Sel (I think that's what it's called), albeit Splintered with Devotion(I think). The way of the Dakhor monastery training demons and stuff that can access some form of magic, maybe the Dor, maybe not. At first glance, the way it looks is that these demons are of Dominion. After all, that's their purpose: beat the stuffing out of people. But my question is: Are we sure it doesn't involve Devotion as well? Is there a possibility that it's a Scadrial scenario, with those two Shards being two halves that fit together, and the Fjordells took advantage of that to use both?

Actually on Sel there is only a single magic system that express itself different from region to region (as you mentioned Scadrial, try to imagine if only Feruchemy exists and everyone in the Nord Dominance will be Skimmer and everyone in the Central Dominance will be Bloodmaker...it's a loosely comparison but it's quite good to understand)

This magic system is fueled by the Dor and the Dor is a mix of D&D's powers. So every Selish magic you will see is both of Devotion and Dominion.

There could be some magic thematically more close to one of the two but the magic itself is of both

Edited by Yata

All magics on Sel are fueled by the Dor, which is equal parts Dominion and Devotion. Brandon has described all the magic systems on Sel as variations of the same system, in that they all use symbols to access and control the Dor. But some systems do show a deviation to either of the Shards. Notably, turning into an Elantrian appears to be driven by Devotion, as several of the Elantrians are described as being extremely devoted to something before and after their transformation. Dakhor on the other hand requires the domination of other in order to grant, and sometimes power, their abilities. Forgery on the other hand doesn't appear to be obviously aligned with either Intent. 

So long answer short, all the magic systems on Sel are powered by the Dor, both Devotion and Dominion. But the method of accessing the Dor can in some cases be aligned with one of the Shards. 

Edited by Wandering Investor

29 minutes ago, Wandering Investor said:

So long answer short, all the magic systems on Sel are powered by the Dor, both Devotion and Dominion. But the method of accessing the Dor can in some cases be aligned with one of the Shards.

It's sorta like Surgebinding. It's all one magic system in Brandon's eyes, but Windrunners seem pretty aligned with Honor, while Edgedancers seem to work with Cultivation.

37 minutes ago, The One Who Connects said:

It's sorta like Surgebinding. It's all one magic system in Brandon's eyes, but Windrunners seem pretty aligned with Honor, while Edgedancers seem to work with Cultivation.

I'm not sure that's a good comparison, just because we don't know exactly how the stormlight cycle works. Its not confirmed if both Culti and Honor are powering the highstorm, they're equally doing so or not, or if just one of them is. The influence in accessing stormlight through the surgbinding is influenced by both shards, but the original question asked which shard powered the systems.

10 hours ago, Wandering Investor said:

I'm not sure that's a good comparison, just because we don't know exactly how the stormlight cycle works. Its not confirmed if both Culti and Honor are powering the highstorm, they're equally doing so or not, or if just one of them is. The influence in accessing stormlight through the surgbinding is influenced by both shards, but the original question asked which shard powered the systems.

The fact is there is a very loose correlation between "This magic is originated by X" and "this Investiture is from Y". Stormlight could be Honor/Cultivation/Honor&Cultivation 's Investiture but this doesn't mean the Surgebinding is originated by the same Source/Sources. After all you could fuel mostly every Magic Systems with every kind of Kinetic Investiture (A Breath powered Surgebinder is possible after all or Ruin could fuel Allomancy if he want).

In the case of the Selish's Magic, we know all the magic are Dor powered and the Dor is a caotic mix of D&D. This would not mean alone that All the Selish's magic are originated from both (because again "Fueled from" and "originated from" are different things) but as the Magic System of the planet is indeed only one with multiple sub-powers (like in my example Feruchemy and in @The One Who Connects 's one with Surgebinding) the System is originated from both but a specific sub-power could be aligned more with one of them (actually the Surgebinding example works better because there are Spren more aligned with H or C)