Mid-Range Game 28: Knives in the Dark

Elenion

4 hours ago, _Stick_ said:

Am I the only one who missed the 'pushed for it so hard' part? 

Orlok PMd me, Steel, and possibly Fifth Scholar with less than ten minutes left in the cycle, asking us to vote on Drake. He also publicly urged everyone to vote for Drake here:

I think that puts Drake on 3, LoC on 2, and Drought on 2. For those as of yet undecided, lynching Drake will give you a great deal of information, simply based on how people have reacted to this last minute vote.

I would say that these count as pushing a lynch, especially as it happened so late in the cycle.

Looking at the vote tally, I see no evidence of vote manipulation, which is interesting. This could be a product of how quickly the lynch developed, or it could mean that any vote manipulators decided not to use their abilities, or there could be no vote manipulation at all.

Not sure what's going on with livinglegend, but he's already been tagged twice and voted on twice. I'd like to hear what he has to say before voting on him.

Praise the almighty bunny! My powers of analysis have been returned to me. This last turn I felt nothing as I read posts. But finally, i feel suspicion and trust in my heart again! It's ON! 

I currently trust Orlok, and STINK to an extent. 

My suspicions include Living, Mad, Kynedath, and Jondesu, although I think Jondesu might end up feeling more like a neutral to me. While I don't have anything I directly want to vote on at the moment, i am definitely keeping an eye on them. 

Furthermore, for the interest of the village, I'm going to share my nearly useless role. My votes are immune to vote manip. This implies, by the holy laws of balance, that the elims may have roles that provide vote manip. If we truly have some sort of scanner, whether role based or alignment based, i advise them to be on the lookout for such vote manipulators as possible eliminators. Given Drakes role, we cannot trust the results of any scan implicitly, as there may be others with that role. However, i would recommend that the scanner gets scanning. The more information we have, the better off we will be. 

Edited by Steeldancer

5 minutes ago, Steeldancer said:

Furthermore, for the interest of the village, I'm going to share my nearly useless role. My votes are immune to vote manip.

So we're claiming in thread now? Interessant. It's not useless though, 'cause now the elims don't have to try and get your role from you. 

Also, I trust Mad so y'all don't start a bandwagon on em.

8 minutes ago, Steeldancer said:

Furthermore, for the interest of the village, I'm going to share my nearly useless role. My votes are immune to vote manip. This implies, by the holy laws of balance, that the elims may have roles that provide vote manip.

I just want to note, this isn’t necessarily the case. It could be just a troll to make us think there’s a vote manip. I wouldn’t be surprised if there is, but the existence of a role immune to vote manip doesn’t guarantee a vote manip role exists.

Edit: also, I have no intention of claiming in the thread. Not a good idea no matter how “useless” you think your role is.

Edited by Jondesu

Just now, STINK said:

So we're claiming in thread now? Interessant. It's not useless though, 'cause now the elims don't have to try and get your role from you. 

Also, I trust Mad so y'all don't start a bandwagon on em.

I feel the information gleaned by the existence of my role is more valuable to the village than my role remaining a secret. I thought about it a bunch, and decided that was the best idea. 

36 minutes ago, Steeldancer said:

I feel the information gleaned by the existence of my role is more valuable to the village than my role remaining a secret. I thought about it a bunch, and decided that was the best idea. 

Any information given out freely is information that the Elims don't have to gather, as STINK said (wait, did I just agree with STINK?). But sure, go ahead.

Anyways, I'm gonna cast my vote on Steeldancer.  A fake role-claim, or one that is true but leaves out an Elim alignment, is a good way to get people to set aside suspicions for a little while, but I'm not buying it.

Yes, please, act more suspicious jondesu by voting on me. If we don't share information, the village will continue to be in the dark while the elims already have more information. I've shared literally all the information I have in an effort to help the village to the best of my ability. Thanks for voting on me for doing that. 

Edit: wow, 3000 posts. Dang. 

Edited by Steeldancer

2 hours ago, Devotary of Spontaneity said:

Orlok PMd me, Steel, and possibly Fifth Scholar with less than ten minutes left in the cycle, asking us to vote on Drake. He also publicly urged everyone to vote for Drake here:

Hey PM’d me, too, but I didn’t see it until it was too late. Plus, at the time I felt that the case against Drake was pretty weak, so I wouldn’t have switched votes anyway. 

11 minutes ago, Steeldancer said:

Yes, please, act more suspicious jondesu by voting on me. If we don't share information, the village will continue to be in the dark while the elims already have more information. I've shared literally all the information I have in an effort to help the village to the best of my ability. Thanks for voting on me for doing that. 

Congrats on your 3,000th post! Have a celebratory Chouta! Two clear chips please. :D

However, in this case I’m inclined to agree with @Jondesu: revealing your role in thread is rarely ever a good idea, especially this early in the game when the eliminators don’t know very much other than their own team’s roles. Even if it’s a useless role the eliminators now know they can ignore you and attack other players. 

At the very least, if you must post something then you can say “I have reason to believe that such and such role is in the game” or “someone claimed this role to me, but I’m not naming names.” That way it’s at least an IKYK with the eliminators instead of just handing them free info. 

Unless you’re blatantly lying about having that role to mess with the eliminators, in which case, bravo! :)

7 hours ago, Steeldancer said:

Kynedath, Orlok PMed me to convince me to change my vote. He was persuasive. 

. . . That makes a lot of sense. Steeldancer@Orlok Tsubodai May I ask how many others you PMed trying to persuade to vote on Drake? I didn't get one, but that makes sense because of my policy on D1 lynching. If it was only the few that have mentioned it, then I would ask why since it would seem like a random choice of individuals. But overall, it does make sense and it was a possibility that I should've seen earlier.

2 hours ago, Steeldancer said:

Furthermore, for the interest of the village, I'm going to share my nearly useless role. My votes are immune to vote manip. This implies, by the holy laws of balance, that the elims may have roles that provide vote manip. If we truly have some sort of scanner, whether role based or alignment based, i advise them to be on the lookout for such vote manipulators as possible eliminators. Given Drakes role, we cannot trust the results of any scan implicitly, as there may be others with that role. However, i would recommend that the scanner gets scanning. The more information we have, the better off we will be. 

2 hours ago, STINK said:

2 hours ago, Jondesu said:

I just want to note, this isn’t necessarily the case. It could be just a troll to make us think there’s a vote manip. I wouldn’t be surprised if there is, but the existence of a role immune to vote manip doesn’t guarantee a vote manip role exists.

Edit: also, I have no intention of claiming in the thread. Not a good idea no matter how “useless” you think your role is.

2 hours ago, Steeldancer said:

I think this is good information to have. If what Steel says is true, then we have more ways to find eliminators, which is a good thing. In regards to giving the eliminators information, this may just be one of the only roles where that effect is mitigated. A passive ability which only affects the lynch results is the area which affects the eliminators the least. Not to say that the lynch is something they don't influence, that isn't the case at all, but they don't have the numbers to effectively change the lynch. And considering that this saves from vote manipulation, the eliminator team most likely would have had multiple potential targets to manipulate the votes, so it was a small chance to affect the game anyways. I see the benefit outweighing the information given to the eliminators.

In any case, I will have to go back later on and look over everything again to solidify my own stance on my suspicions. Although I do think that LL's move was suspicious, I don't think that I have to vote on them because of the other two already doing so.

I think that Steel is a villager based on his part in lynching Drake like I said in y post earlier, however I do think that he probably could've waited a while to reveal his role bc now the elim vote manip player, if there is one (I suspect there probably is), is unlikely to claim to anybody now that they know they'll be suspected for it. I do believe his claim -he said to me in our PM last cycle that he suspects there to be vote manips in the game and I guess this explains it so...yeah. 

I apologise for all the confusion. Quite simply, I felt bad for Drake. I believed his neutral claim because *drumroll please* I am a citizen of Kharbranth. I was phishing for an elim contact like Orlock described. When Drake claimed neutral and was about to be lynched because he was possibly the second to claim, I felt my misinformation had doomed someone to die in the last ten minutes of the cycle. 

As it turned out, it's a good thing we did. For all my talk of getting information I usually feel bad for lynching people, hence my reliance on the gods of luck and chance and my vote on the person I erroneously thought was in second place.

I think Drought is village based on Drakes campaign to lynch him, but I admit it doesn't carry as much water as he may have just tried to distance himself to protect a teammate. I don't think that is the case though as Drake wasn't being lynched until the very end of the cycle.

3 hours ago, Steeldancer said:

Praise the almighty bunny! My powers of analysis have been returned to me. This last turn I felt nothing as I read posts. But finally, i feel suspicion and trust in my heart again! It's ON! 

I currently trust Orlok, and STINK to an extent. 

My suspicions include Living, Mad, Kynedath, and Jondesu, although I think Jondesu might end up feeling more like a neutral to me. While I don't have anything I directly want to vote on at the moment, i am definitely keeping an eye on them. 

I will second the fact that this is a role, as I also have it. it is called a Scholar 

10 minutes ago, livinglegend said:

I apologise for all the confusion. Quite simply, I felt bad for Drake. I believed his neutral claim because *drumroll please* I am a citizen of Kharbranth. I was phishing for an elim contact like Orlock described. When Drake claimed neutral and was about to be lynched because he was possibly the second to claim, I felt my misinformation had doomed someone to die in the last ten minutes of the cycle. 

As it turned out, it's a good thing we did. For all my talk of getting information I usually feel bad for lynching people, hence my reliance on the gods of luck and chance and my vote on the person I erroneously thought was in second place.

Surely you would have known that you voting on Drought wouldn't have stopped the Drake lynch. Why didn't you cast a vote on chaos instead? It wouldn't have done anything then either but Chaos had two votes on her already so if your intent was to save Drake that would've been a better place to vote.

11 minutes ago, _Stick_ said:

Surely you would have known that you voting on Drought wouldn't have stopped the Drake lynch. Why didn't you cast a vote on chaos instead? It wouldn't have done anything then either but Chaos had two votes on her already so if your intent was to save Drake that would've been a better place to vote.

@livinglegend did say that he erroneously thought that Drought was still in second place to be lynched. As it stands, that’s this only thing from his post that I believe. I don’t buy the rest of it. 

Apologies if you’re telling the truth, LL, but your post reeks of an eliminator who slipped up and is trying to save his skin. 

EDIT: ninja’d! 

Edited by Herowannabe

Based on this, i am suspicious of Jondesu . He claims I make up a role, and he's been acting hecka weird. I actually don't think he's an elim, because I don't think Jondesu is would be so blatantly suspicious, but he IS being suspicious and he isn't even trying to do anything about it. And I want an explanation. Are you chaotic neutral or something, @Jondesu?

53 minutes ago, Droughtbringer said:

I will second the fact that this is a role, as I also have it. it is called a Scholar 

This may go without saying, but this role in no way guarantees a village alignment. We have no reason to doubt the veracity of this role. My guess is there is an elim with this role who has yet to claim. 

I don't think Steel is bad because information is good for the village and I don't know why an elim would give that much information to us. I don't think Drought is an elim because Drake was trying to lynch him.

I'll bet we have one more citizen and one escaped who have yet to reveal themselves.

Edit: 2 ninjas

Edited by livinglegend

1 minute ago, livinglegend said:

This may go without saying, but this role in no way guarantees a village alignment. We have no reason to doubt the veracity of this role. My guess is there is an elim with this role who has yet to claim. 

I don't think Steel is bad because information is good for the village and I don't know why an elim would give that much information to us. I don't think Drought is an elim because Drake was trying to lynch him.

I'll bet we have one more citizen and one escaped who have yet to reveal themselves.

I was just verifying that it is a role, and that Steel is not creating a role and lying about it

My suspicions will follow in a few hours, as I have a meeting now, but in reflection I do believe Livinglegend is indeed a villager. I had a village read on them for most of the cycle, and explained that in reference to their initial claim, and can’t see how their actions would make sense at all as an eliminator. Exposing themselves to save Drake wouldn’t have gained much even if successful, and Livinglegend was watching the end of the cycle for enough time before it ended to know that it couldn’t have made a difference.

So, from what I can tell, livinglegend is currently on the chopping block? I’m not going to vote this round just because I’m still kinda unsure who’s who, and me voting would either be bandwagon if or random. I’m going to try to be more active. I apologize now if I fail to be....

also, can I get a vote count?

Edited by The_Lady_of_Chaos