Mid-Range Game 28: Knives in the Dark

Elenion

11 hours ago, Herowannabe said:

"Oi! Hey you! Yeah you! Come 'ere!"

Walin glanced around, confused for a second, before he realized that the little man with the Herdazian accent was, in fact, shouting at him. From across the street. Walin cautiously approached. The man was leaning on a strange hand cart with small wisps of steam rising up out of it. Did he have a heat fabrial in there?

"You've got the look of a man with an empty belly itching to be filled with something hot and tasty, indeed you have. I should know, I can spot the look a mile away, I can. Lucky for you I have just the thing! Here, try this. Only 2 clear chips." He held out a bundle of food that consisted of something smothered in gravy and wrapped in a piece of flatbread. It smelled... well, Walin couldn't figure out exactly what it smelled like, but it smelled edible. Probably. 

Nalter walked away from the stand, holding some good looking food. The smell was a little different than anything he’d had in the city, but it did have his favorite foods on it. Gravy, flatbread, and...something. It took him a minute to find something noteworthy to look at when eating. He sat down and watched the biggest boat he had ever seen leave the harbor. It was pretty exciting, though it may have been a bit too obvious a location for him to pick. This wasn’t anything special, just cool, so Nalter had to write the experiment down as one of the unlikely candidates to draw a tastespren.

However, the food tasted great. That in itself could create a memory; the mix of gravy, flatbread, and vegetables was as good as tasted in Nalter’s memory. If those were vegetables. Maybe they were a mash of many foods, and the strongest taste was the only one he could notice.

Nalter thought back to the street vendor. It seemed that the location was somewhere on the path to the library; however, as Nalter remembered, he...couldn’t remember. That was odd. He also felt woozy, and wondered whether the vendor was in league with the murderer.

Then he remembered what he was looking at: a flock of birds. Disgusting creatures. Nalter turned away and felt better, so he decided to head to the library—he had no fear of spoiling the books with food, as he was not feeling sick any longer, and had already eaten.

Dang it. I've changed my mind. Things are looking less complicated with Calculus curriculum being over. So I'll actually join. Also because I don't think taking more of a break is going to help me with reevaluating my playstyle. So I'll join, but expect me to be trying some new plans of attack. 

4 minutes ago, Steeldancer said:

Dang it. I've changed my mind. Things are looking less complicated with Calculus curriculum being over. So I'll actually join. Also because I don't think taking more of a break is going to help me with reevaluating my playstyle. So I'll join, but expect me to be trying some new plans of attack. 

I'll be doing the same and trying out a new play style that sounds fun.  We'll see how it goes.

I've added @Ecthelion III and @The_Lady_of_Chaos to the player list. Neither of them have posted in the thread yet but both have told me they want to join the game (in person and on Discord, respectively). This makes 19 players in total, easily enough to run the game. Thanks to everyone who has joined the game!

Just now, Elenion said:

I've added @Ecthelion III and @The_Lady_of_Chaos to the player list. Neither of them have posted in the thread yet but both have told me they want to join the game (in person and on Discord, respectively). This makes 19 players in total, easily enough to run the game. Thanks to everyone who has joined the game!

Can we just start now, then?

Less than an hour left!

Despite the murders, Kharbranth was experiencing an influx of people. No doubt some of them were refugees, survivors of the civil war in Jah Keved. Akhanakah empathized with such people. Much of her order was made up of refugees. Akhanakah herself had joined the devotary during the Alethi Unification War after her village had been destroyed by the fighting The other devotaries did not look favorably upon an order that rejected Callings and the nature of the Tranquiline Halls, but really. It is not right for humans to attempt to see the future, and surely there is no act of fortunetelling more blasphemous than attempting to predict the will of the Almighty. Rather, Akhanakah and her fellow ardents acted as storytellers and historians, spreading the Wisdom of the Heralds and helping the desperate survive day to day.

A bell tolled, sending a group of scavenging chickens flapping for cover. The chickens had arrived days ago, drawn by the scent of decay that the city had slowly begun to take on. Fewer and fewer people were going out at night, afraid of what they might find when they were alone. Or what might find them when they were alone. A few people still walked the night streets. Courting couples, rowdy youths, drunkards, and workers too poor or too new to get anything but night shifts still traced their usual paths through the night. But even they seemed on edge. The streets, once a hubbub of nightlife and conversation, now were eerily silent. Trash had begun to accumulate in the alleys as street sweepers hesitated to leave the lit streets. Whatever was taking the lives of men and women was draining the life from Kharbranth, too.

Perhaps those who were avoiding the night streets had nothing to fear at all. As random as the killings were--they struck bankers and merchants, prostitutes and nobles without discrimination--it was obvious that whoever was killing was doing every single one for a reason. An indiscriminate killer would have had plenty of easy prey in Kharbranth’s less-reputable districts, but this murderer or murderers did not kill based on opportunity alone. Just last night, a nobleman had been slain by a Shardblade summoned into his back and then his entourage cut down as they fled, all while a drunk slumbered nearby. A few days ago a merchant had been knifed by a masked intruder in her shop that left two witnesses alive. Different targets, different weapons, different plans of action, but the same ruthlessness that marked some to die and others to live.

The populace of Kharbranth was suffocating in paranoia. Hounded by fear and driven by distrust, some of the most vocal began advocating for vigilante violence, although the majority resisted. Then, one day at a meeting in the town square, something snapped. The citizens of Kharbranth were finished with standing idly by while something in the darkness chose who was slain and who was spared. Forming into a mob bristling with swords, boards, and sticks, they were determined to make their own choice about who was to die this day...

Player List:

Spoiler

1. Walin: Nalter, a tastespren scholar
2. Jondesu: Div
3. Devotary of Spontaneity: Akhanaka, a fearless ardent
4. Eternum: Aiden
5. Kynedath: Lo-Kag, third Horneater son
6. LivingLegend: Lej'elin, a teen disgusted with the Alethi for good reason
7. Droughtbringer
8. Orlok: Highlord Locke Tekiel
9. STINK: Trumpet Guy, BWOOT
10. Madagascar: "Mad" Mapadonet, a famous pig researcher.
11. Stick: Stick, a sticky stick
12. Amanuensis: Ana Lyst
13. Drake Marshall: Ev
14. Fifth Scholar: Nolan
15. Herowannabe: Nabbers, a Herdazian chouta street vendor
16. Coop772
17. Ecthelion
18. Steeldancer
19. Lady of Chaos

This cycle will end in 48 hours on Sunday, March 25 at 3:00 p.m. MDT.

red_1522011600.png

I’ve never played a game with STINK in it before. This should prove interesting. With his intuition, we’ve already wrung a confession out of Drought, and I’m sure all the Elims will follow suit. 

So...anyone have any clue as to what we’re supposed to do? Should we claim if we have roles or keep it a secret? I’d welcome any advice, as I haven’t played blackout yet. However, looking at some previous ones, there seem to be items abundant. Would anyone care to report any suspicious items in their possession to the town? 

Speculation on roles:

Diagrammist: Can talk to the dead somehow

Knight Radiant: Can protect a player

Taravangian: Lead Diagrammist, conversion role? 

Scholar: Can access big library (what’s it called? Nolan should know this) and has some way of revealing game secrets.

Of course, this is all random speculation until we lynch someone, and find out roles. I’ll refrain from voting for now, however.

5 minutes ago, Fifth Scholar said:

I’ve never played a game with STINK in it before. This should prove interesting. With his intuition, we’ve already wrung a confession out of Drought, and I’m sure all the Elims will follow suit.

5 minutes ago, Fifth Scholar said:

I’ll refrain from voting for now, however.

Woah, so you state that you agree with STINK, and that I am an elim, and then you don't place a vote? That is very, very elimish, Fifth Scholar

I think I remember STINK coming off as erratic and nonsensical in the past, so I won't put too much stock into what he says. And Drought seemed pretty sarcastic to me, so I don't read anything from that.

@Fifth Scholar How serious were you about your statement? I can see that also being sarcastic, but It's a little harder to see that. If you were serious, then it would be telling and grounds for analysis.