Mid-Range Game 28: Knives in the Dark

Elenion

“Move!” Ashkelon yelled as he kicked the prone body in the side.

“Ashkelon, take it easy with the temper, will ya?” Camilla chided him, “that man lies there every night dead drunk, and yet you never cease to torment him.”

“Well if he’s just get his stinking carcass off of our roadside, I wouldn’t have to.”

“He’s probably got some problems,” Jeremiah chipped in, “a guy who hits the bottle like that has obviously got something he wants to forget about.”

“Well if he’s going to get smashed enough to pass out, he could at least pick a better spot than this,” Ashkelon gestured at the carriages and pedestrians that passed by, paying little heed to the three students nor the passed-out man. At this hour of the night, they were likely to be headed home.

Camilla spoke up. “Ashkelon, this is why you don’t have a girlfriend,” she said as she took Jeremiah’s hand. “With an attitude like yours I’m amazed you even have drinking buddies.”

While not anywhere as far gone as the drunkard whom he had just kicked, Ashkelon was not terribly sober either. He opened his mouth to respond, then closed it. Camilla did have a point.

“What’s this?” Jeremiah said, releasing Camilla’s hand and bending down.

“Jerry, if it’s another picture of a woman’s safehand I swear--,” Camilla let her sentence trail off.

Ashkelon chuckled, remembering the last time something like this had happened.

Jeremiah stood back up holding a tattered piece of a scarlet cloth. “You don’t see something this vivid around here much. Must have been somebody with--” He stopped, noticing that the cloth was leaving a red stain on his hand.

“Oh, crem...”

He looked back at the drunkard, but the man’s chest rose and fell as it had before, blissfully unaware of what Jeremiah had just found. He, at least, was not the source of this blood.

Camilla pointed at a line of drops that led down the sidewalk a short distance before turning into an alley.

Jeremiah followed them, but just before reaching the turn he suddenly turned aside, attempting not to vomit.

Ashkelon didn’t need to smell it to realize what had happened. He just stood right where he was and swore loudly.

Welcome to MR28! This is a hidden information Roshar game set in Kharbranth. The Everstorm has not yet come, but as Taravangian’s men collect Death Rattles an unknown individual or group has begun to kill off citizens seemingly at random. Here are this game’s ground rules:

Ground rules:

Spoiler

Cycles are 48 hours each, with no day/night.

Each cycle there is a standard lynch with no vote minimum, and each player can perform one action. Passive abilities do not take your action to trigger.

Turnover is at 3:00 p.m. MDT.

There are three alignment categories in the game: Good, Neutral, and Evil.

All Good players belong to the Kharbranth Citizens, and all Kharbranth Citizens are Good. The Good players win when all Evil players are dead.

There is at least 1 Evil player at the start of the game. Evil players can be on their own or in factions.

Neutral players have win conditions that are possible without jeopardizing the win conditions of the Good or Evil players. Neutral players can be on their own or in factions.

There are no PM spying or doc spying abilities in the game--I’m not that much of a troll. You can make unlimited PMs with any number of players, and for the sake of my sanity please do not include me in them. If there is an issue that I need to address, add me to the PM.

There are no resurrection abilities in the game, so the trip to the dead doc is a one-way trip.

Dead players will have their role and alignment revealed to the thread. If they possess a role that has not previously been revealed, that role’s abilities will be revealed.

Rule clarifications:

Spoiler

Murder suspects (player list):

Spoiler

1. Walin: Nalter, a tastespren scholar
2. Jondesu: Div
3. Devotary of Spontaneity: Akhanaka, a fearless ardent
4. Eternum: Aiden
5. Kynedath: Lo-Kag, third Horneater son
6. LivingLegend: Lej'elin, a teen disgusted with the Alethi for good reason
7. Droughtbringer
8. Orlok: Highlord Locke Tekiel
9. STINK: Trumpet Guy, BWOOT
10. Madagascar: "Mad" Mapadonet, a famous pig researcher.
11. Stick: Stick, a sticky stick
12. Amanuensis: Ana Lyst
13. Drake Marshall: Ev
14. Fifth Scholar: Nolan
15. Herowannabe: Nabbers, a Herdazian chouta street vendor
16. Coop772
17. Ecthelion
18. Steeldancer
19. Lady of Chaos

The game will start on Friday, March 16, at 3:00 MDT

red_1521838800.png

Quicklinks

First reply! I will be Nalter, brother of Nerkel.

Will edit in stuff later but I want to be first.

Dang it; ninja’d by MonsterMetroid!

EDIT: Nalter is a young scholar. He came to Kharbaranth a month ago, hoping to find evidence of advanced fabrials used for culinary spying. It had happened to his scholar friend’s ardent friend’s merchant friend’s baker friend’s Shardbearer friend’s soldier friend’s linguist friend’s stormwarden friend.

He assumed it was used with tastespren, found when scents connect with a memory. The spren were found some places he had never heard of, but Nalter thought it could be captured. He just had to go to all the places here that had memorable culinary artwork. Or he could travel away from Kharbaranth.

Culinary spying is when you figure out recipes by picking out the individual scents, but using the tastespren Nalter described, it would probably just strengthen the connection to a memory. So I dunno what he’s doing; he may discover some real, different tastespren that could work for his research.

Edited by Walin

Hidden Information game, eh? I'll jump in.

Alethi only in blood, Lej'elin's home was conquered when he only four years old by the Blackthorne himself. The city lord, having seen the attack as imminent and absolute, sent women and children away to return to their homes when the battle was over. Unfortunately, the city was leveled by the Kholin's armies. With no home to return to, the two score survivors of the battle led the nearly three hundred women and infants as they searched for a new home. 

As they traveled, those who survived the unforgiving storms and weren't picked off by Kholin scouting patrols struggled with hunger and thirst. Eventually, Lej'elin's mother succumbed to the conditions and died. A mighty man, Arkanor, took Lej'elin under his wing. Arkanor was one of the few survivors from the battle that destroyed his home and a war hero from previous skirmishes. Though he was strong, he was also kind and gentle. Lej'elin lost all hope when the high storm took Arkanor from him. 

Over time, the small party of vagabonds joined with others and by the time Lej'elin was six he was disgusted with the entire Alethi race. He finally found passage on a ship that took him to Kharbranth. Life was tough, but he apprenticed himself to a bookseller (and even began to learn to read).

That was ten years ago. Now seventeen years of age, he's ready to make a difference.

TL;DR: Lej'elin hates Alethi and doesn't trust you.

5 hours ago, Shqueeves said:

Please note that I'll be gone the first week of April. Hopefully we'll be done by then, but I might miss the last few cycles. 

The SE Moderation team have been trying to help the community reduce inactivity over the last few months. A large part of this is encouraging players not to sign up for games in which they know they’ll be inactive. With this in mind, we’d ask that you reconsider signing up for this game in light of your known commitments that will render you inactive..

Taking off my mod hat, I’d like to sign up as Highlord Locke Tekiel.

3 hours ago, Elenion said:

If we don't have 20 plus or minus a few by the time signups is over, I'll just extend signups until we have enough.

2 hours ago, Straw said:

@Elenion would you mind taking my name off the list and giving me a spec doc link?

That's not a good sign.  Sorry you have to compete with this, Len.  I might shouldn't plan on this and the LG, but I'm committing to actually participating in both, though no promises on analysis (in fact, I plan to do very little in either).