SKA - Is it Resolved?

Dreamstorm

Adolin dying has always been somewhat likely, as he was the least important character in the prime WoK. It was always about Renarin and Dalinar, so the fact that Adolin has dominated so much of the first three books is something I expect is an aberration in the full scheme of things. 

That being said, someone needs to raise Gavinor, and Adolin/Shallan seems likely. That even gives Kaladin a reason to stick his nose in their business as he might have some bridgemen who are slightly attached to the tyke. And thus our awkward triangle keep staggering along, until one member kicks the bucket.

8 hours ago, Jofwu said:

I Brandon turns this into How I Met Your Mother, I will riot. :lol:

Someone else who hated that ending. In my head, Barney and Robin are together. :)

Back to the triangle. I can imagine Adolin having an affair. He apparently didn't see anything wrong with going after two sisters at the same time so I can see him falling for temptation. Despite how perfect he was in OB, he is a flawed human being. Inability to connect is one of his flaws.

27 minutes ago, wotbibliophile said:

Back to the triangle. I can imagine Adolin having an affair. He apparently didn't see anything wrong with going after two sisters at the same time so I can see him falling for temptation. Despite how perfect he was in OB, he is a flawed human being. Inability to connect is one of his flaws.

Well if this does happen, I hope he goes after a worldhopper from Scadrial whose name begins with an A, just so instead of referring to "SKA" as a triangle we can talk about the "SKAA" problem.

5 minutes ago, robardin said:

Well if this does happen, I hope he goes after a worldhopper from Scadrial whose name begins with an A, just so instead of referring to "SKA" as a triangle we can talk about the "SKAA" problem.

I sincerely hope that doesn’t happen, but now I just kind of want that for the puns...

There is a vast difference between going on what appear to be completely casual dates and actually cheating on a partner in a committed relationship. 

I strongly doubt Adolin would do the latter. 

Edited by Calderis

47 minutes ago, Calderis said:

There is a vast difference between going on what appear to be completely casual dates and actually cheating on a partner in a committed relationship. 

I strongly doubt Adolin would do the former. 

Former is first, and latter is second, so I'm assuming you just crossed your wires here.

I agree that Adolin cheating isn't that likely, but I imagine it could be the case if Shallan is sent off on a mission like she was, but this time Adolin can't tag along. What happens when they're separated for an extended period?

I don't think cheating is as likely as his death, though, so it's mostly a thought experiement.

1 hour ago, robardin said:

I love this. :lol: I hope it happens. Thanks for making me laugh.

1 hour ago, Calderis said:

I strongly doubt Adolin would do the former. 

I think what Adolin did is really skeevy and Adolin doesn't see a problem with it. He goes on and on about wanting a relationship to work and then he does this. His life goals were to duel and occasionally court a pretty girl. I just don't see that he attaches to people.

ETA:

22 minutes ago, Rainier said:

it's mostly a thought experiement.

Yes, I think it is possible, not that it has to happen or anything.

Edited by wotbibliophile

4 minutes ago, wotbibliophile said:

I think what Adolin did is really skeevy and Adolin doesn't see a problem with it. He goes on and on about wanting a relationship to work and then he does this. His life goals were to duel and occasionally court a pretty girl. I just don't see that he attaches to people.

I'm sorry, but the "relationships" Adolin entered into as presented in tWoK, consisted of hanging out, going on walks, and giving gifts to each other. 

It was a "courtship" centered around a political system and not the relationship itself. Yes, Adolin could have tried to make it more than that, but his problem was that he didn't. 

That's not the case now. He seems to have had a fear of even taking things to a stage that it would be what we consider a relationship, and I'd guess that now that he has one, he'll be extremely fearful of losing it. 

As he's already shown, he's at more risk of smothering her and making her feel trapped than he is of screwing up like he did with the "relationships" of his past. 

I feel like, by our more modern view, Shallan is the only "relationship" he's ever had. 

21 hours ago, Calderis said:

I'm sorry, but the "relationships" Adolin entered into as presented in tWoK, consisted of hanging out, going on walks, and giving gifts to each other. 

It was a "courtship" centered around a political system and not the relationship itself. Yes, Adolin could have tried to make it more than that, but his problem was that he didn't. 

That's not the case now. He seems to have had a fear of even taking things to a stage that it would be what we consider a relationship, and I'd guess that now that he has one, he'll be extremely fearful of losing it. 

As he's already shown, he's at more risk of smothering her and making her feel trapped than he is of screwing up like he did with the "relationships" of his past. 

I feel like, by our more modern view, Shallan is the only "relationship" he's ever had. 

Interesting. I don't really agree. Adolin seems to think his relationship with Shallan is like past relationships. He makes the comparison that they always started well and then he acts like he's not sure how they all go wrong. I don't see how Shallan's relationship with Adolin is more than hanging out, going on walks, and giving gifts. Except now they are married and that is all their relationship has consisted of.

There is the fact that Shallan is always the one to kiss Adolin and I can be fairly certain Adolin has never had sex, but I don't think you have to have sex for a relationship to count as a relationship.

Thank you for the different perspective, I can see how you came to it. I'm almost convinced, but not quite.

Edited by wotbibliophile

1 hour ago, Ripheus23 said:

Maybe Syl will marry Pattern, so Shallan will be maritally connected to Kaladin and Adolin in an even weirder way than if her marriage to Adolin ended or if she somehow polygamied her way to Kaladin too or whatever.

A sprenlationship? That could be interesting. 

20 minutes ago, wotbibliophile said:

Interesting. I don't really agree. Adolin seems to think his relationship with Shallan is like past relationships. He makes the comparison that they always started well and then he acts like he's not sure how they all go wrong. I don't see how Shallan's relationship with Adolin is more than hanging out, going on walks, and giving gifts. Except now they are married and that is all their relationship has consisted of.

There is the fact that Shallan is always to one to kiss Adolin and I can be fairly certain Adolin has never had sex, but I don't think you have to have sex for a relationship to count as a relationship.

Thank you for the different perspective, I can see how you came to it. I'm almost convinced, but not quite.

Adolin does see something different about her, though. His relationship with Shallan varies from the ones in the past. 

• 1 month later...

Some people will scream, some people will rejoice, but it seems the answer is yes, it's been resolved. 

vanahian

And for a friend of mine and her sanity... The Shalladin thing will be something or is all in her head? Stop her pain please :D.

Brandon Sanderson

Shallan has made her choice. I wouldn't expect that to change.

vanahian

And thanks for the answer in 11. My friend is crying but now she can go ahead with her life :)

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah...I do feel bad about that. If it's any comfort, tell her I think she'll eventually be very pleased it went this way. It might take a few more books, though.

source

8 hours ago, Toaster Retribution said:

I rejoice. 

I do too. Now that I know for sure that there won't be a "failing marriage" or "falling out of love" storyline for Shadolin, I've never been more convinced that Adolin is going to die.  And if Shalladin had to be buried in order for that to happen...I find myself at peace with this trajectory. 

On 6.10.2018 at 10:33 PM, Calderis said:

If it's any comfort, tell her I think she'll eventually be very pleased it went this way. It might take a few more books, though.

Now the big question remains, what is it that he's planning to do, that will take a few books and make Shalladin shippers very pleased while all this still being resolved, but the hints for Shalladin not confirmed to be in our heads... It makes my head spin honestly. 

Also, still, much more than Shalladin being tossed out, it concernes me that Shallan at the end of OB is considered one capable of making any sustainable decisions. 

Edited by Ailvara

Given the WoB, I think the following will happen... 

1. Shadolin will have a talk about emotions, current situations and mental states, which will fully resolve any and all issues. 
  2. Kaladin will find a new, better love interest who helps him to become happier. 

Thinking that it will happen... hoping that it will happen... what's the difference? :P

Wasn't a fan of shalladin anyways. I went full "eh" when Kaladin admired Shallan's smiling through the abuse when it pales in comparison to the entire rust he went through . 

I believe the love triangle is one of the things SA isn't good about. Now that I think about it Shadolin seems weak as well. 

Guess I just realized I was never a fan of either ship. Might be why I am so enthusiastic with Kaladin+somebody else instead

Edited by goody153

In my opinion, if the love triangle is currently resolved, it wasn't very well done to begin with. It spanned one-and-a-half books, and that wasn't long enough to make a lot of contention. The twist with Shallan's multiple personalities was interesting, but it was resolved too quickly. If Sanderson really wants the love triangle to pull through, nothing can be resolved at the characters' current state. 

If Shallan, Kaladin, and Adolin all have a discussion about this and resolve everything there, that would be okay. But, the resolution at the end of Oathbringer was too open ended –– not because of the words exchanged, which made everything seem very final, but because of Shallan's personality issues. She had internal conversations with Veil and Radiant right up to her passionate "if-he-can't-fly" speech! With a conflict so serious that it boils down to her nature as a lightweaver and as a person, I don't believe that it can be resolved in a few passionate words of "I love you" and "he means nothing to me; that was all Veil".

Honestly, I think romance is just something that needs to be improved across the board. I do pay a lot of attention to relationships –– yes, because they're cute and I'm a fangirl, but also because love is one of the strongest emotions a person or character can feel, and how someone handles it says a lot about them. Sanderson has been so consistent with the "arranged-marriages-always-work-out" card (Raoden + Sarene, Shallan + Adolin, Wax + Steris, etc.), and I'm really looking for an arranged relationship that doesn't work to add some variety into the mix. 

With Shadolin, yes, I think the relationship could work, which frustrates me. I ship it due to their interactions, but it almost annoys me to do so because it's keeping up with the string of arranged marriages. I kind of wanted Shalladin to work out –– I don't ship it, but it would have made for an interesting story.

I still love Stormlight and the other Cosmere books, but romance is something that I think could be worked on. 

On 10/6/2018 at 3:33 PM, Calderis said:

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah...I do feel bad about that. If it's any comfort, tell her I think she'll eventually be very pleased it went this way. It might take a few more books, though.

I guess I don't understand why he would be telling a Shalladin shipper that she'll eventually be pleased that SKA resolved the way it did?

Does he mean that eventually there will be enough relationship building that no one will be able to resist loving Shallan and Adolin's relationship? Or is he insinuating that something has yet to happen to Adolin and several books from now Shalladin will be resurrected because of that?

I am confusion.

7 hours ago, Ashspren said:

With a conflict so serious that it boils down to her nature as a lightweaver and as a person, I don't believe that it can be resolved in a few passionate words of "I love you" and "he means nothing to me; that was all Veil".

Actually i don't think that part of the conflict is resolved yet. i believe that Shallan's personas and her struggle to control them will continue to present problems for both her and Adolin, and how they overcome these problems will be a factor in Shallan's character development. For one, i don't take at face value Shallan's line about Veil being the one who's crushing on Kaladin, as Veil is part of Shallan, whether she acknowledges it or not.

i believe Shallan's eyes will continue to wander, but as she has made her choice and married Adolin, the struggle will shift from choosing between Kaladin and Adolin, to choosing to honour her marriage vows and to honour her husband's love for her. Now that is something i would actually like to read about, as for the rest of us real married people in real life, the story does not end at "I do". 

23 hours ago, Ashspren said:

Given the WoB, I think the following will happen... 

1. Shadolin will have a talk about emotions, current situations and mental states, which will fully resolve any and all issues. 
  2. Kaladin will find a new, better love interest who helps him to become happier. 

Thinking that it will happen... hoping that it will happen... what's the difference? :P

3. A shocking truth will get revealed that makes you very happy in hindsight that they didn't hook up.

aka the Luke+Leia scenario.