[OB] Elhokar’s Lies

Devout Pathian

Okay so we know that a cryptic would have bonded with Elhokar.  We know that Pattern was attracted to Shallan, because of her lies.  Therefore, what were Elhokar’s lies that his spren found appealing?

I don’t really have any good ideas.  I just thought of the question and then decided to start a thread about it.  Maybe Elhokar knew he was an awful king and was lying to himself to make himself feel better.  Okay that’s a pretty lame guess.  I honestly can’t think of anything Elhokar kept hidden from Dalinar.  I don’t know maybe the lies came before he was king.

I'm sure he lied to himself for most of his life.  That he was a good king, that he was doing the right thing. That Sadeas was a good person. The whole saddle strap business.  Lots of potential for a Cryptic to find fascinating.

One of his truths would absolutely be:

I'm a bad king.

I think for Elhokar he was coming to realize that he is never going to be his father, or his uncle, and that the life he had assumed he would lead, and tried to after his father's death, isn't reality, and will never be. Especially with the Radiants return, he was forced to admit that he wasn't in charge, he wasn't that important, and that he didn't matter like he thought he did.

• Greywatch changed the title to [OB] Elhokar’s Lies
6 minutes ago, digitalbusker said:

Probably a lot of good lies around his marriage, too.

That makes a lot of sense.

1 hour ago, RShara said:

I'm sure he lied to himself for most of his life.  That he was a good king, that he was doing the right thing. That Sadeas was a good person. The whole saddle strap business.  Lots of potential for a Cryptic to find fascinating.

Yeah, I can see those points.  The question is, is Elhokar lying if he truly believes Sadeas is a good person, or does it only count as a lie if he deep down knows the truth, but only tells himself what he wants to believe.

56 minutes ago, Aurora the Rioter said:

Yeah, I can see those points.  The question is, is Elhokar lying if he truly believes Sadeas is a good person, or does it only count as a lie if he deep down knows the truth, but only tells himself what he wants to believe.

I think we can draw a line between lying and just being wrong, though when the person you're lying to is yourself it can get pretty blurry.

11 hours ago, Kaladin Zahel said:

I wouldn't think his oath-truths would be related to the ones he openly admitted to characters. There must have been something less apparent that he was avoiding and blocking out.

Unfortunately, we will probably never get more about it for obvious reasons.

Maybe it would have been about admitting that he caused the deaths of people due to his inadequacy, i.e. Moash's grandparents, the fall of Kholinar, everyone that died because of the vengeance pact, etc.? Shallan's truths were things that she told herself to avoid going insane. Actually, that kind of makes me think that before Ishar forced the oaths on the bonds that advancement would be based in widening the break in the Radiants' spirt-web, perhaps the bonds are a sort of organized method of further breaking the Radiant. 

• Chaos locked this topic